Oronde Gadsden II ... the "OG" | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Oronde Gadsden II ... the "OG"

Dino and the crew have done a very good job retaining players. He has built a very solid culture and as my plane mate said the kids really like and respect him.
Dino is the perfect coach for Syracuse. I fully expect him to put together a string of bowl-eligible seasons until he decides to retire. Having done so, he will be regarded as favorably as Pasqualoni, Marrone, Coach Mac, and Schwartzwalder.

Dino and the crew have done a very good job retaining players. He has built a very solid culture and as my plane mate said the kids really like and respect him.
That's great. Sometimes there are things that are more important than maximizing cash. Everyone has their priorities, but there's something to be said about doing what you do in a good environment, even if it means making a little less. In OG's case his decision was probably made a little easier by his family already being financially comfortable.

This is sickening. The next kid might not make the same choice. As has been discussed, it just ruins the college football experience.
Keep in mind, as alluded during Oronde’s media day interview, a number of CNY NIL opportunities have popped up for these high profile SU players. We’ve competed and won battles to keep these players. The extra benefit is the culture Dino has built.

Keep in mind, as alluded during Oronde’s media day interview, a number of CNY NIL opportunities have popped up for these high profile SU players. We’ve competed and won battles to keep these players. The extra benefit is the culture Dino has built.
The implication is that our NIL is competitive... up to a point. We're not going to win bidding wars with the $EC and B10, but if we can stay close then Dino's culture gives us a chance to retain these kids. Would love to know how close (or far) we were in the bidding wars for Chestnut and Carter.

The implication is that our NIL is competitive... up to a point. We're not going to win bidding wars with the $EC and B10, but if we can stay close then Dino's culture gives us a chance to retain these kids. Would love to know how close (or far) we were in the bidding wars for Chestnut and Carter.

NCAA has to regulate this. Any special interest groups representing a school can not make offers to active roster players. Period. Schools then would be forced to do due diligence on how the player arrived at their school and create some accountability. It wouldn't be perfect but my god, there needs to be SOMETHING in place to police this. To me, offering active roster players is the biggest thing killing this sport (for me personally).

Gadsen has the advantage of having an NFL father giving him the real scoop and advice. Agents and other handlers want the immediate kiss. Gadsen is playing the long game.

Look at the amt of NFL stars that have come from SU and are still regarded as SU stars. It makes sense to be the big fish in a smaller pond sometimes. Good for him

Does the NCAA have enough clout left to ban tampering prior to entry to the portal? Or should the states step in?

Gadsden’s a potential first round draft pick. Various parties stepped up to secure him.

Not to talk down Jahad or Duce but they’re just not on the same level. Sometimes you have to decide what you’re willing to pay for someone, not just what you have available.

Can’t point and say that was the major factor that decided Chestnut or Carter. A better example is Jesse Edwards.

Do you match WVU at that price for him? No

Do you match whoever in the top 25, if you can, to retain Judah or Oronde? Yes

Gadsden’s a potential first round draft pick. Various parties stepped up to secure him.

Not to talk down Jahad or Duce but they’re just not on the same level. Sometimes you have to decide what you’re willing to pay for someone, not just what you have available.

Can’t point and say that was the major factor that decided Chestnut or Carter. A better example is Jesse Edwards.

I'm betting a lot of the time we can't exactly match the big boys. But i'm not sure we always have to match in order to retain kids. The kids trying to be poached are doing well and in a good situation. Like Oronde stated, there are uncertainties with moving to a new school and a new situation and im sure kids will factor that in a bit. But we have to try to be somewhat in the ballpark.

I'm betting a lot of the time we can't exactly match the big boys. But i'm not sure we always have to match in order to retain kids. The kids trying to be poached are doing well and in a good situation. Like Oronde stated, there are uncertainties with moving to a new school and a new situation and im sure kids will factor that in a bit. But we have to try to be somewhat in the ballpark.
Yep for instance, Duce might not get the benefit of the doubt if he's neck to neck with a Louisiana kid at the position. Booster/collective guy wants to see the local kid they have invested in play.

Well said. They have to evaluate the position and based their decision on depth or estimated production from the players next in line. They can always add transfers themselves.

On his way to being a Syracuse legend through and through. The fact he stayed here and understood the long term goals instead of the short term gains, is so refreshing to hear. He will find out he made the right decision when he goes late first round this year….. calling it now!

Just for giggles, I’ll predict his stats this year.

73 catches for 1,287 yards and 8 TDs.

Legend year for OG.

Gadsden has been a very good college player. He might top out at this level. He has good hands and catch radius. He needs to figure out how to be open the vast majority of time and make contested catches when he has to because he hasn’t shown elite speed to this point.

Gadsden has been a very good college player. He might top out at this level. He has good hands and catch radius. He needs to figure out how to be open the vast majority of time and make contested catches when he has to because he hasn’t shown elite speed to this point.
He’s great against the zone,

but his impact was limited against the back half of the schedule. He needs to impact those games.

but his impact was limited against the back half of the schedule. He needs to impact those games.
I think it's a crapshoot projecting to the next level. There are guys with elite athleticism that flame out and then there are guys that seem to always get open despite being relatively small and slow. I won't be too hard on him about the back part of the schedule last year. By then teams knew he was our only weapon. It's not hard to game plan for one guy unless that guy is Larry Fitzgerald. We and he need a couple other guys to be reliable.

I think it's a crapshoot projecting to the next level. There are guys with elite athleticism that flame out and then there are guys that seem to always get open despite being relatively small and slow. I won't be too hard on him about the back part of the schedule last year. By then teams knew he was our only weapon. It's not hard to game plan for one guy unless that guy is Larry Fitzgerald. We and he need a couple other guys to be reliable.
We have those.

Back half of the schedule he had an injured shrader and freshman CDRW. That and he’d be doubled and tripled because defenses figured out you didnt have to cover anyone else (until Adams got PT) except maybe Alford.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom