Oshae Staying in the 2019 NBA Draft | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Oshae Staying in the 2019 NBA Draft

These threads are hilarious.

One thread blaming Frank for our offensive woes. One thread trashing a kid who never Played here. And now one saying OB leaving is basically addition by subtraction.

We have a mediocre recruiting class. We have mediocre players. We have a mediocre coach (at this point).

And we’re hoping for another “the zone get us to the sweet 16” year.

Sure.

The article says he is testing the NBA - we all know how awful that is going to go - so there is a chance he will come back - unless he wants to start playing basketball overseas and getting compensated - I want him to come back - he's a good player and a real good rebounder

These threads are hilarious.

One thread blaming Frank for our offensive woes. One thread trashing a kid who never Played here. And now one saying OB leaving is basically addition by subtraction.

We have a mediocre recruiting class. We have mediocre players. We have a mediocre coach (at this point).

And we’re hoping for another “the zone get us to the sweet 16” year.

Sure.

Im not sold that Girard and Goodline are mediocre - I personally think we are going to have excellent college guards that will be here for 3-4 years

He was a good rebounder with good hands. Overrated athlete but quick on his second jump. Good player who has no offensive skill set that translates, and was a major ball stopper. I wonder if watching tyus not improve his stock factored in. Gave us two good years, wish him well, and we move on.

Yep. This offense does not get the best out of him, although he played audition ball early in the season. That's part of the reason we lost some of those early games - too many threes early in the shot clock from Tyus and Oshae, and no pretense of an offense with Frank out.

The lack of recruiting results speak for themselves, as does the fact that about six of those kids are playing for him out in Washington. So, sure, it's "conjecture". But I have eyes. And I saw a guy on the bench who did not look as engaged as in years past, when we had a very disappointing team that looked much better on paper, and at the end of the year he was gone.
This thread is reopening some wounds that have scabbed over. I still say that wildhack ripping up the coaching timeline when Hop left was the single biggest mistake he has made so far. Maybe his only mistake but what a loogie. Sometimes the low risk, low reward decision is not the best thing for a program’s health. I get the impression he is completely hands off with hoops and doesn’t have a good pulse on just how stale things have become.

The lack of recruiting results speak for themselves, as does the fact that about six of those kids are playing for him out in Washington. So, sure, it's "conjecture". But I have eyes. And I saw a guy on the bench who did not look as engaged as in years past, when we had a very disappointing team that looked much better on paper, and at the end of the year he was gone.
Say you’re right. Is that what you want in a coach?

This thread is reopening some wounds that have scabbed over. I still say that wildhack ripping up the coaching timeline when Hop left was the single biggest mistake he has made so far. Maybe his only mistake but what a loogie. Sometimes the low risk, low reward decision is not the best thing for a program’s health. I get the impression he is completely hands off with hoops and doesn’t have a good pulse on just how stale things have become.

For the 99th time. It was not a timeline for jb to step down regardless of the new coach. It was a timeline for Hop to replace him.

Say you’re right. Is that what you want in a coach?

I put up a list somewhere else.

I would think about Buzz Williams, Richard Pitino, Bill Self (who is only 53!) since he has nothing left to prove in the Big 12, and that conference might blow up anyway in the next few years when the football TV contracts next come up for renegotiation.

Is Shaka Smart that good? There's the young guy at Charleston who is getting them back on track, but he's still only 40 and kind of unproven.

There's Mick Cronin, maybe. Maybe Sean Miller? Would we take the chance?

Maybe Oats does great at Alabama.

Mark Few is 56 - would he like a chance to coach in the ACC instead of that league he always wins before he retires?

That may be our best sales pitch to get a top flight coach to follow JB: "Wouldn't you like to measure yourself against the very best?" That would sell with a lot of guys.

For the 99th time. It was not a timeline for jb to step down regardless of the new coach. It was a timeline for Hop to replace him.
Even so, who forced ADJW to write up an extension? The same limbo we were in at that point was just kicked down the road 3-4 years. This last final stretch of JB’s career we’re seeing how the roster functions without Hop’s energy and charisma. Everyone keeps pointing to how JB does his best with low expectations, but at some point consistently lower expectations catch up with the program. If the wheels come off next year and we have a losing season or something close to it, I don’t know if JB will have the energy to return for more.

Yes, but JB didn't think he really did anything wrong, he was probably upset at all the bad Bernie Fine publicity after publicly supporting him at first, and felt like he was being forced out, and it would tarnish his legacy.

And he has done literally so much good for the community, and for cancer research. So, yes, he earned the right to shut off the lights and lock up the place, when he thinks he's done. I get that.

But we are now in Bobby Bowden territory. I almost don't care if we cheat, as long as we bring in a great class next year. This is it. This is his last chance to win another title. We are on the clock. He only gets 2 more recruiting classes, then Buddy is a senior. That would be the right time for him to retire.

200.gif

An incredible amount of spin in this thread.

I’d love OB to be back but Guerrier is every bit as good and better
Canada is having their McD's ASG this week and he is weirdly not in it.

Not that prep number/star rankings influence my opinion on international guys that much, but OB was the MVP of that game and national prep PoTY. Seems odd QG wasn't even invited.

Im not sold that Girard and Goodline are mediocre - I personally think we are going to have excellent college guards that will be here for 3-4 years

I think they're both going to be pretty good next year. Girard may find the game is too fast for him until about the middle of the season. I think his shooting range will get him his chances next year, but I'm not sure he's going to be good enough on defense yet to get too much run.

Goodine isn't quite as big as Malachai Richardson was in HS. He's a little better passer (Mali could sling it in HS pretty good, though ...), and has a better handle, I would say. I want to think that if you start Carey and Goodine next year, then you bring in Buddy at the first TV timeout, that would work best for everybody.

In a certain way, Goodine looks like a fitter version of Scoop, with better form on his jumper. He's not as fast as he could be. He has a bit of Ennis in his handle. Goodine can certainly jump, though. Carey plays faster - maybe too fast at times.

We won't start slow on defense by starting Goodine with Carey. It's kind of like Scoop with Triche, and then Andy Rautins comes in.

Don't forget, Buddy is still only a sophomore. Give him a little more time, or the kid could take a step back next year, if too much pressure is placed on him before he's ready for it. Let him improve to 10-12 points in 20-25 minutes a game next year. Really, that's all we should ask of him next year. He'll be a star player the 2 years after that.

Buddy won't get caught reaching or breaking up a fast break too early and get unnecessary early fouls. Let him watch how the game is being called, then come in for Goodine at the first TV timout, then bring Goodine right back in for Carey at the next dead ball (12 minutes left in 1H).

Then bring in Girard for Buddy, from around 6-7 minutes left in the first half, and he runs with Goodine until the next dead ball (You might need to bring Carey back in here with Girard when it comes to ACC games). Give Girard 2-4 minutes at first. Break him in slowly; don't let him get exposed on defense, or have to bring up the ball by himself at first.

Then it's Buddy and Carey to close out the half. I would like to see a guard rotation something like that. If Buddy is feeling it, he's going to play most of the second half. If he's having an inconsistent game, then Goodine will get more run with Carey, or maybe Hughes will swing up to 2G for a few minutes.

Last edited:
Canada is having their McD's ASG this week and he is weirdly not in it.

Not that prep number/star rankings influence my opinion on international guys that much, but OB was the MVP of that game and national prep PoTY. Seems odd QG wasn't even invited.

He was the MVP last year. I watched the game. The Bio-Diesel Game, whatever they call it.
Guerrier struck me as more C.J. Fair than Andrew Wiggins - not that there's anything wrong with that.

If Oshae leaves, Guerrier, Hughes and Braswell as your forwards isn't too bad. And of course there's Marek, if we don't have to play him too much at center.

He was the MVP last year. I watched the game. The Bio-Diesel Game, whatever they call it.
Guerrier struck me as more C.J. Fair than Andrew Wiggins - not that there's anything wrong with that.

If Oshae leaves, Guerrier, Hughes and Braswell as your forwards isn't too bad. And of course there's Marek, if we don't have to play him too much at center.
I think our center depth chart will be JBA / Edwards / Sidibe after the August Italy tour.

I think our center depth chart will be JBA / Edwards / Sidibe after the August Italy tour.

It's hard to see that as an upgrade over the season that just ended. It takes any two of them to equal the size of one Zion (or one Florida State center, for that matter).

Wouldn't Isaiah Stewart look great in that spot?
Can't we get someone like that (in the next class; it's obviously too late right now ...)?

Last edited:
I don't understand why people are so concerned if he leaves.

I don't want to throw the guy under the bus, because he will be our best rebounder and interior defender if he comes back. But if he doesn't, that's OK, too because I just don't see his offense getting that much better, and he is going to have to play a lesser role if he does come back next year. Just for that reason, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go.

It's hard to see that as an upgrade over the season that just ended.
Wouldn't Isaiah Stewart look great in that spot?
Can't we get someone like that (in the next class; it's obviously too late right now ...)?
Stewart would Jessica Alba in Sin City good there, but I would rather see bouncy freshman there over arthritic Sidibe

Stewart would Jessica Alba in Sin City good there, but I would rather see bouncy freshman there over arthritic Sidibe

Sure, but can we ever get a kid who weighs even 200 pounds?

Really, this 180 lb Dutch kid is better than Carrigan? Carrigan must not have made his grades, because he was very good defensively, his underwhelming JUCO year notwithstanding.

Sure, but can we ever get a kid who weighs even 200 pounds?

Really, this 180 lb Dutch kid is better than Carrigan? Carrigan must not have made his grades, because he was very good defensively, his underwhelming JUCO year notwithstanding.
As a HS offensive/defensive lineman that doubled as a beefy forward/center during basketball season, nothing would make me happier than Cuse landing another AO/Jackson/Fab thick body type.

The 2-3 needs beef at the interior core. Either beef or a giraffe shot alterer like Pascal, who would have ruled offensively had that eye injury not happened.

As a HS offensive/defensive lineman that doubled as a beefy forward/center during basketball season, nothing would make me happier than Cuse landing another AO/Jackson/Fab thick body type.

The 2-3 needs beef at the interior core. Either beef or a giraffe shot alterer like Pascal, who would have ruled offensively had that eye injury not happened.

You just have to be able to break it up. It's fine to have a Baye Keita who hustles his butt off, but you don't want to be unable to respond to a team that out-physical's you. Sometimes, you need a big boy enforcer type or two on your team. Ideally two, in case the refs take your primary enforcer out of the game. Terrence Roberts and Mookie Watkins made a good inside pair.

We beat down that group of players looking back at them, but as seniors (the year after GMac & his 10 games), their defense was one of our best of that era.

You just have to be able to break it up. It's fine to have a Baye Keita who hustles his butt off, but you don't want to be unable to respond to a team that out-physical's you. Sometimes, you need a big boy enforcer type or two on your team. Ideally two, in case the refs take your primary enforcer out of the game. Terrence Roberts and Mookie Watkins made a good inside pair.

We beat down that group of players looking back at them, but as seniors (the year after GMac & his 10 games), their defense was one of our best of that era.
The ideal is a Rak Christmas/Fab Melo type that can handle the following:

1) alter shots from guys who get in the paint via their reach or making them think twice due to imposing presence. Defend without fouling

2) have the skill to catch passes from the perimeter and either quickly pass it back outside, or have a plan of what they’re doing with the ball before giving up the dribble and backing a man down. Dont catch the ball, be stumped, put it low, and have it stripped.

3) set solid screens and know where to slip/pop to free up space

4) find a man to lay your butt on when the shot goes up, and stop opposing offensive possessions by cleaning up the defensive boards

5) Being able to do enough with the ball off pick and roll to draw attention and free up space

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom