Oshae Staying in the 2019 NBA Draft | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Oshae Staying in the 2019 NBA Draft

Boeheim is not Hop but lots of players come back to coach for him. Guys like Coleman seem to like him and come back. He's not the personality Hop is. He's more old school...different generation.

After the fact, the guys who were successful realized that Boeheim kept it honest with them. He was tough, but for those who lasted until they were upperclassmen, when they got the freedom to just play that maybe they wanted when they were younger, they appreciated what he did teach them about the importance of concentration and not making mistakes. Just a couple mistakes can cost a game. A basket or a turnover in the first half is just as important as in the last 2 minutes.

After the fact, the guys who were successful realized that Boeheim kept it honest with them. He was tough, but for those who lasted until they were upperclassmen, when they got the freedom to just play that maybe they wanted when they were younger, they appreciated what he did teach them about the importance of concentration and not making mistakes. Just a couple mistakes can cost a game. A basket or a turnover in the first half is just as important as in the last 2 minutes.
That’s true. But I’m not sure many kids now fight through the tough times. They just transfer or leave.

Good that Battle went through pretty much the same thing last year and can help Brissett with the process.

He’s not going to hear what he wNts to hear from NBA people, and he’s going to be faced with a very hard decision.
Just curious - he can't think he is going to hear great things from the NBA folks so why bother? I know you aren't out anything but not sure he is gaining anything either. You don't need to be an NBA personnel wonk to know what he needs to work on.

It's fascinating that the one scout mentioned how he got away from his game and fell in love with the 3 ball this year considering 36% of his shots were 3 pointers as a freshman versus only 30% this year.

First half vs. second half. I personally don't mind that he was shooting 3s b/c that's how kids play and he's capable of making them, even if he's not a great shooter. But first half he was close to 5 a game, second half he was closer to 2/game. That made a solid difference in his overall effectiveness.

Just curious - he can't think he is going to hear great things from the NBA folks so why bother? I know you aren't out anything but not sure he is gaining anything either. You don't need to be an NBA personnel wonk to know what he needs to work on.
Tyus said several times that it was extremely beneficial for him.

wellbye.gif

If he goes it will be a mistake in some ways but the question is, will another year help him? I'm not sure he can or will be the leader on the team so I would expect similar numbers next year as this year.

It's always the million, or several million-dollar question. I think he has the type of athleticism where he could become a better basketball player and improve his stock. But he also only needs one team to show some interest and the point could become moot. I think he'd be really good for us and improve his numbers but we don't really know given our player development issues the past several years.

By who?
Oshae needs to drive harder to the basket instead of off-balance leaners. He's big and strong and should be able to go in stronger and straight up.

OB doesn't have a great vertical. He always finishes below vs above the rim. It isn't going to get easier at the next level.

If I am Tyus (or OB), why not transfer? TB could grad transfer to a big time P5 where he could have his skills showcased one last time (and more than likely in an offense that isn't just ISO ball). Look at Cam Johnson. Not saying TB is Cam, but going to a place like UNC really helped him out a lot. That being said, hate to see both of those guys go. They were integral parts to our team the past 2-3 years, and their absence is going to be quite apparent next year IMO

If I am Tyus (or OB), why not transfer? TB could grad transfer to a big time P5 where he could have his skills showcased one last time (and more than likely in an offense that is just ISO ball). Look at Cam Johnson. Not saying TB is Cam, but going to a place like UNC really helped him out a lot. That being said, hate to see both of those guys go. They were integral parts to our team the past 2-3 years, and their absence is going to be quite apparent next year IMO
A transfer is no benefit to Battle. I think Brissett is just testing like Battle did and will stay.

Last edited:
First half vs. second half. I personally don't mind that he was shooting 3s b/c that's how kids play and he's capable of making them, even if he's not a great shooter. But first half he was close to 5 a game, second half he was closer to 2/game. That made a solid difference in his overall effectiveness.

As I showed a few posts above your response, even the first half of the year he was attempting 3’s a lower % of the time than he did as a freshman.

So, again, over 36.2% of Brissett's shots as a freshman were 3 pointers.

Sophomore year:
November (Games 1-6): 31.7%
December (Games 7-13): 38.0%
January (Games 14-21): 31.4%
February (Games 22-28): 19.0%
March (Games 29-34): 28.3%

So he started the year off shooting 3's significantly less than he did as a freshman and there was only one 7 game stretch in which he slightly attempted more.

How many 3p/game did he shoot in those nov, dec games?

As I showed a few posts above your response, even the first half of the year he was attempting 3’s a lower % of the time than he did as a freshman.

We're talking about different stats. You're talking overall percentage of shots, which is fine. But he attempted 73 threes in his first 17 games -- 4.3 per game. He attempted 38 threes in his last 17 games -- 2.2 attempts. He took at least 4 threes 11 times in the first 17 games; twice in his last 17 games.

So he attempted more in the first half, by a demonstrable amount, than he did in the second half.

Again, I don't care too much one way or the other but I could see how folks who watched early may have felt they were looking at a different player late.

We're talking about different stats. You're talking overall percentage of shots, which is fine. But he attempted 73 threes in his first 17 games -- 4.3 per game. He attempted 38 threes in his last 17 games -- 2.2 attempts. He took at least 4 threes 11 times in the first 17 games; twice in his last 17 games.

So he attempted more in the first half, by a demonstrable amount, than he did in the second half.

Again, I don't care too much one way or the other but I could see how folks who watched early may have felt they were looking at a different player late.

4.2 is still less than he attempted as a freshman.

He’s not going to hear what he wNts to hear from NBA people, and he’s going to be faced with a very hard decision.
Only takes one, but with what's coming in, he should have lots of room to operate underneath

Yeah he’s already heard it too. He knows where he slots.

And Jerami Grant, and Chris McCullouch, and a few others along the way.
He's like a Bobby Knight kind of coach who doesn't recruit at the level of a Coach K, or even in the ballpark anymore. It's like how Bill Parcells was a great coach until his players stopped responding to getting ripped in the newspapers. And, the talent level went down when he went to the Jets. That was a prison sentence. But even when he had his last chance with the Cowboys, the magic was gone. We're at that point with Boeheim. When he lost Mike, and that was the season before he left, he lost a lot.
Not that this is a cowboys blog but parcells set the cowboys up for 10 years. He found and developed romo. The year after he left, only because he refused to work with TO, Dallas went 13-3 and should have won the Super Bowl. Parcells resurrected a real garbage Dallas team.

If Luke Maye wasn't invited to the combine last year who's inviting Brissett?
I mean OB def shouldnt go but he’s a lot better nba prospect than maye. Stop looking at just stats

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom