Oshae Staying in the 2019 NBA Draft | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Oshae Staying in the 2019 NBA Draft

If Luke Maye wasn't invited to the combine last year who's inviting Brissett?
Eh, Luke Mayes isn't a pro prospect at all.

At least with Brissett if you squint you can kinda see it.

Just curious - he can't think he is going to hear great things from the NBA folks so why bother? I know you aren't out anything but not sure he is gaining anything either. You don't need to be an NBA personnel wonk to know what he needs to work on.

I would think that his goal is to show enough to get some camp or summer league invitations. Then you figure he'll take his chances in front of the scouts, and maybe he plays his way on to someone's team. He has athleticism, but he's just not an elite player at any one thing, and he regressed at the thing he did best.

It's like Boeheim told Derrick Coleman as a young player, "If you just focus on being the best rebounder you can be, you're going to make a lot of money in the NBA."

Of course, Coleman did so much more than that, but Boeheim kept him focused on the basics, and players back then were more willing to take it in. And Boeheim is usually right in terms of talent evaluation. He has been around the very best players there are. He's coached Kobe and LeBron.

He is loved these days by those who appreciate his willingness to be honest in his evaluations, and his wry sense of humor. He's better with the national media than the local media, unfortunately, but he has meant so much to this program. But I think he has built a sufficient foundation that we don't have to go begging for our next coach. JB did the job. We are big time.

4.2 is still less than he attempted as a freshman.

He dramatically changed the way he played in the second half which was the scout’s point. I actually don’t think his shooting threes is a bad thing but there change was notable. Whatever, I’m arguing a point I don’t care about. Oshae’s Issue was not making threes more than his shooting them. I agree with that.

He’s built well, jumps above average-good off two feet when going for a rebound, has a good first step.

He lacks body control when jumping, and often doesn’t seem to get off his feet at all if he’s not ready to. It’s like the stars have to align perfectly for him to hit his peak elevation when going to the basket.

It's as simple as this. In Canada, he didn't have to learn how to score against guys as big as himself.
He still hasn't. That's why he contorts himself to try to get off shots inside, instead of just powering into a defender's chest and getting to the line, or rising up over a guy and banking it in off the glass.

In his defense, there is usually a 3 minute stretch at some point in the game when he does just that, takes advantage of a mismatch, goes to the low block and banks in a shot over an over-matched defender. But it's literally the last thing he would think to do himself.

A natural basketball player who grew up having to win the game to stay on the court would be a more savvy about getting a bucket every time he sees a mismatch until they show you they can stop you. If it takes a guy helping and double teaming you, well, somebody is open. Basketball is not a hard game.

JB and Hop had disagreements about recruiting that last year.
Hop for a fact wanted to recruit a kid who would have helped him when he was going to take over. JB overruled him.
Hop was a good soldier.
he was basically pushed out. I don’t know how much more transparent it needs to be. JB thought the Scranton sensation would just step right in and they wouldn’t miss a beat.

JB and Hop had disagreements about recruiting that last year.
Hop for a fact wanted to recruit a kid who would have helped him when he was going to take over. JB overruled him.
Hop was a good soldier.

Who was it? Or am I going to get mad?

Who was it? Or am I going to get mad?

I don't think it was just one guy. I think it was moving away from a type of player that JB wanted. I think Mike wanted to start stocking the team with his type of guys, and JB evaluated players differently. And JB still had the last word. It was still HIS team. I think that's when Mike knew he had to leave.

Last edited:
I would think that his goal is to show enough to get some camp or summer league invitations. Then you figure he'll take his chances in front of the scouts, and maybe he plays his way on to someone's team. He has athleticism, but he's just not an elite player at any one thing, and he regressed at the thing he did best.

It's like Boeheim told Derrick Coleman as a young player, "If you just focus on being the best rebounder you can be, you're going to make a lot of money in the NBA."

Of course, Coleman did so much more than that, but Boeheim kept him focused on the basics, and players back then were more willing to take it in. And Boeheim is usually right in terms of talent evaluation. He has been around the very best players there are. He's coached Kobe and LeBron.

He is loved these days by those who appreciate his willingness to be honest in his evaluations, and his wry sense of humor. He's better with the national media than the local media, unfortunately, but he has meant so much to this program. But I think he has built a sufficient foundation that we don't have to go begging for our next coach. JB did the job. We are big time.
Brissett has not shown me that he is an elite enough athlete to be on an NBA roster, as he does nothing really well.

[QUOTE="Cuse#1, post: 2977952, member: 7147. ...Hopkins... is a player's coach in my opinion. I don't know it's just a feeling I get sometimes just thought I would share that
I've seen a number of stories on how much UW players love Hop.
Never heard such comments about Syracuse players and Jim Boeheim.[/QUOTE]

At big games, I doubt there are few, if any, schools that have more alumni players in the seats.
Or how many former players were at JB's Hall of Fame induction.

Last edited:
Whatever Oshae decides I hope he has success with that decision. Watching him play you can see he has some very good talent but just hasn't quite figured out how to use or take advantage of it yet. Once he does...we'll see the player that we thought we had during parts of his freshman year.

I've seen a number of stories on how much UW players love Hop.
Never heard such comments about Syracuse players and Jim Boeheim.

and most are there for the school... not the coach. Nobody EVER talks about loving boeheim...like ever. they talk about...you know how Boeheim do...

and most are there for the school... not the coach. Nobody EVER talks about loving boeheim...like ever. they talk about...you know how Boeheim do...

You should go to some Hardwood dinners. An example - I saw DC get emotional shedding tears at the 2006 Hardwood dinner talking about how besides his basketball career , JB saved his life from his younger self. He said they butted heads while here but the life lessons he learned ended up being the difference maker in his life. He spoke of JB’s loyalty to his players, being a family and the high expectations he had for him not only on the court but off it causing friction at the time but appreciated and loved as he matured. He gave an amazing speech.

The players visit the program , attend the games and SU basketball functions etc. They go to games, functions because of Boeheim and the program he has created keeping a family atmosphere with former players. Is JB perfect , of course not but some of the cruel H0T Takes by supposed fans are absolutely ridiculous.

Whether Guerrier’s ready from day one or not, we’re a better team with oshae.

Our huge issue is the center position, getting oshae back makes it easier to keep Marek for the 5 (not that thats ideal).

I feel that Oshae’s going out to receive feedback and it may provide him some perspective. He’s a friendly, incredibly well spoken kid. There’s time to grow mentally and physically. I hope he does not end up feeling pushing away by the staff. They’ve not recruited well enough to do that.

Boeheim treats his "stars" differently from his role players, and his role players differently from his "whipping boy." That's been pretty consistent over the years. Now a player can sometimes change that status over the course of his career...

Here’s the rub. NBA people are going to tell him he needs to stretch his game away from the basket because of his size.

Raise your hand if you think OB shooting more threes and less mid range jumpers is a recipe for success next year?

Do you think our head coach would raise his hand?

Raise your hand if you think OB shooting more threes and less mid range jumpers is a recipe for success next year?
Actually, yes, I do raise my hand to this.

As for Jim Boeheim... I do agree that the things he wants Brissett working on and the things the NBA would suggest are at odds.

I think the same was also true for Jerami Grant.

Actually, yes, I do raise my hand to this.

As for Jim Boeheim... I do agree that the things he wants Brissett working on and the things the NBA would suggest are at odds.

I think the same was also true for Jerami Grant.

You're in the minority on this one, bud.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom