Oshae Staying in the 2019 NBA Draft | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Oshae Staying in the 2019 NBA Draft

The thought of a good Oshae is great. But in reality, this year was an audition year for him and we all saw how that worked out.

Wish him the best. Ready for some new blood.

He’s a pretty good player with a lot of experience, so I don’t agree with “addition by subtraction”.

At the same time, with Hughes, Marek, Guerrier, and Braswell - I’m not all that worried about it either. C/PG will determine next years fate IMO. Forward position should be solid, either way.

First and foremost, you can’t use quotation marks when you’re not actually quoting what was written. Never said he was a bad player or anything of the sort - I actually said he’s been a plus player. The only addition that I noted is that I wouldn’t have to see the same drive, spin and turnover sequence if he were to leave.

First and foremost, you can’t use quotation marks when you’re not actually quoting what was written. Never said he was a bad player or anything of the sort - I actually said he’s been a plus player. The only addition that I noted is that I wouldn’t have to see the same drive, spin and turnover sequence if he were to leave.

Oh ok. Sorry for misinterpreting the addition, subtraction, addition thing(I didn’t quote this time!)

If we’re going that route, I personally find the somehow jumping kinda sideways thing while driving to the hoop more irritating than the spin move.

I hope he makes it. I hate all the crap that goes on here...and elsewhere when it looks like a KID is going to make a decision that fans may not like. All of a sudden they aren't very good anyway...so and so will be better anyway...blah blah blah. Pretty crazy to read...

That’s my over/under on career games played in the NBA.

It’s a little high, but this is a Syracuse fan board, so whatever...

I hope he makes it. I hate all the crap that goes on here...and elsewhere when it looks like a KID is going to make a decision that fans may not like. All of a sudden they aren't very good anyway...so and so will be better anyway...blah blah blah. Pretty crazy to read...
I was reading another school’s board and they were talking about their prospects in this draft. There was a decidedly positive spin on their outlook- no one was predicting stardom, but there wasn’t the pervasive negativity you often see here.
OB has a legit chance to make hay, whether in the draft or elsewhere. I’ll never understand the almost pathological need to degrade OUR own players. These are our guys, Orangemen forever. Yet the abject self-loathing persists. Sad.

OB has a legit chance to make hay, whether in the draft or elsewhere. I’ll never understand the almost pathological need to degrade OUR own players. These are our guys, Orangemen forever. Yet the abject self-loathing persists. Sad.

Making hay? Only on a farm, maybe.
Making some money overseas - yes, he has a pretty decent chance to do that.
I don't see him *ever* playing in the NBA.

If C.J. Fair, James Southerland, Preston Shumpert, Eric Devendorf, Paul Harris, Gerry McNamara, Rakeem Christmas, Arinze Onuaku, Rick Jackson, Tyler Lydon, and so many others failed to make it - and I mean, not even a sniff - I certainly don't see what it is about Brissett that makes him so much better than all of them.

I want our guys to do well, and wish them all well. But a dose of realism is in order.

If C.J. Fair, James Southerland, Preston Shumpert, Eric Devendorf, Paul Harris, Gerry McNamara, Rakeem Christmas, Arinze Onuaku, Rick Jackson, Tyler Lydon, and so many others failed to make it - and I mean, not even a sniff - I certainly don't see what it is about Brissett that makes him so much better than all of them.

I want our guys to do well, and wish them all well. But a dose of realism is in order.

Some of those guys got a sniff as they played in nba games. One was a first round draft pick.

I was reading another school’s board and they were talking about their prospects in this draft. There was a decidedly positive spin on their outlook- no one was predicting stardom, but there wasn’t the pervasive negativity you often see here.

It drives me crazy but for a different reason -- I think people love shiny new toys and fail to understand that sometimes the struggles are what drive these guys to improve the most. People act like Oshae can't shoot -- he hit close to 40% on threes as a frosh in ACC play. I've posted this a million times but the dude was at 38% from three for 18 games on close to 5 threes per game against about as good a competition as the college game offers. He had a bad year from distance this year but improved around the basket.

He has some maddening tendencies (mostly to lean one way or the other instead of going straight up or creating space for a balanced release) but he rebounded like crazy, played solid defense and it's far from a stretch to say he could come back as a junior and put up really solid offensive numbers with great rebounding numbers.

Instead, a lot of posters here would rather rely on a freshman they think is better despite the fact that very few, if any have actually seen him play live and no one has seen him play against the type of competition he is going to face from Game 1 next season when we get UVA.

Bottom line on Brissett, it's not a great call to blow off classes and finals b/c he's probably going to need that degree at some point. But, having said that, if he really wanted to go pro he's got a good shot at earning some cash somewhere and we should all be rooting for him to have success. As far as our team next year, you never, ever turn down talent. The kid is a gifted athlete ... given the choice it's mind-boggling to me that people would prefer one or two unproven options (Braswell/Guerrier) to pair with a guy who has proven he's not much of a rebounder (Hughes) instead of having all three of those guys plus a guy who works hard on the boards. Especially with the likelihood of starting a center who goes 190 and is going to have trouble banging with the bigs in this conference.

But, at the end of the day, we should all be hoping he has success regardless.

No, Guerrier is a forward. He's not a guard wannabe or a swingman. He already outweighs most of our frontcourt as a high school senior.

Oshae being back with give us predictable rebounding, but he really has to improve every other aspect of his game in order to not lose time to Guerrier.

We've debated this before but I don't understand why Oshae losing a few minutes to Guerrier means you'd rather have Oshae leave? I also don't know that I agree with the premise -- if Guerrier comes in and is a legit starting forward and good rebounder, wouldn't we want to pair him with Brissett if we have Marek trying to bang at 190 (or even 200 if he adds 10 lbs) more than run guerrier at the 4 and play Hughes who grabbed 4 rpg this season?

In an ideal scenario, Guerrier comes in ready to go and he plays 30 mpg, Oshae plays 30 mpg and that still leaves 20 mins for Hughes and that's not even taking into account that they could theoretically go small at times if they like Hughes that much and run the more physical Oshae at center for short stints to get the three best players on the floor at the same time.

That's OK, the team may be better for it next year. Not to say he's a bad kid, but I'm concerned that he has hit his ceiling in our system. As Frank's senior year turned out, was it better that he played so much, or would we have been better off with the ball in the hands of Tyus and Jalen Carey?

We might have done better without Frank, no disrespect intended, because he was coming back from an injury, and was never as good as he was the year before. Tyus was arguably better in 2019, regardless of his stats, because he showed he could play some point, but OB and Frank were both worse than the year before.

I'm not sure Frank is a great comparison given that he struggled with injury early and really had a rocky ride in general as a player here. Frank and Roberson are two seniors who really struggled but we've had a boatload of seniors come back and step up their game -- RJ was outstanding, Rak was outstanding, Damone Brown was outstanding, CJ Fair wasn't as efficient but put up good numbers on a 28-win team, Allen Griffin was a key piece as a senior after a brutal junior year, Andy was phenomenal, Scoop was really good ...

Oshae obviously wouldn't be a senior but I don't really see a lot of relevance of pointing to frank and saying 'see, we're better off without veterans coming back.' at least not in my opinion.

Call me an optimist, but "making hay" is not limited to just the NBA. That's the objective, but making a good living doing what you love is always the goal. Why isht on that? Why is it "NBA or bust" because one chooses to see things from an absolutist, minimalist, and overly pessimistic POV?
Realism is just another word, another excuse, for being negative.
Neither you nor I know what OB is all about & what motivates him- yet I'm not ready to ishit on his dream because I'm a miserable SOB who always sees the glass as half empty. JMHO

We've debated this before but I don't understand why Oshae losing a few minutes to Guerrier means you'd rather have Oshae leave? I also don't know that I agree with the premise -- if Guerrier comes in and is a legit starting forward and good rebounder, wouldn't we want to pair him with Brissett if we have Marek trying to bang at 190 (or even 200 if he adds 10 lbs) more than run guerrier at the 4 and play Hughes who grabbed 4 rpg this season?

In an ideal scenario, Guerrier comes in ready to go and he plays 30 mpg, Oshae plays 30 mpg and that still leaves 20 mins for Hughes and that's not even taking into account that they could theoretically go small at times if they like Hughes that much and run the more physical Oshae at center for short stints to get the three best players on the floor at the same time.

Yeah, I guess that might not make sense to a lot of people. I don't dislike Brissett, but I just don't think a lot of his game. He was only the 4th or 5th best player on the team last year, even though he was our leading rebounder. His scoring, rebounding, 3 point shooting and his free throw shooting were all noticeably worse last year than the year before. He got worse, and I don't see him being even as good as his freshman year next year, let alone better.

I just think we have guys who might be better. Do you want Braswell to transfer out and then turn into a really good player in a couple years at some mid-major? Do you want to stunt other players' growth so that O'Brissy can audition for the league again next year?

Eh, I've seen that movie. I don't need to see the sequel. I think Hughes was way more important than Brissett last year. Brissett was the fourth guy in our Big Three, behind even Frank, who had a crap year by almost every measure, too. Buddy Boeheim, who some people said wasn't even a Division One player, was without question more important to us by the end of the season.

I think the offense is way better with Dolezaj in there than Brissett. I think you don't start Dolezaj over Hughes because of the three point shooting, and I think you do need a rebounder there. But I am ready to believe that Guerrier can give us 6-7 rebounds a game as a freshman, maybe more. If we can get that from Guerrier, we won't remember Brissett.

I guess that for me, it comes down to this: With Brissett as my starting PF next year, I don't see us in the Top 4 of the conference. I think it becomes a weak spot on the floor for us, compared to the top teams.

I think we have under-rated guards. We have unproven depth at center, but we have some good players at forward. I think we have one too many, in fact, and I think the other three have bigger upside.

Last edited:
Call me an optimist, but "making hay" is not limited to just the NBA. That's the objective, but making a good living doing what you love is always the goal. Why isht on that? Why is it "NBA or bust" because one chooses to see things from an absolutist, minimalist, and overly pessimistic POV?
Realism is just another word, another excuse, for being negative.
Neither you nor I know what OB is all about & what motivates him- yet I'm not ready to ishit on his dream because I'm a miserable SOB who always sees the glass as half empty. JMHO

The first thing I said was I think he'll make money overseas, but I don't see him as an NBA player.

So you angrily agree with that. Who's the miserable SOB?

I barely see him as a starter next year. He has serious competition to try to keep his spot.

The first thing I said was I think he'll make money overseas, but I don't see him as an NBA player.

So you angrily agree with that. Who's the miserable SOB?

I barely see him as a starter next year. He has serious competition to try to keep his spot.
No, I just choose to give him the benefit of the doubt whether in the draft, or on the team next year. And your negativity speaks for itself if you seriously believe a Junior OB, would "barely be a starter" & have problems keeping his starting spot. That's just ludicrous, short of Guerrier being the 2nd coming of Melo. JMHO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom