Oshae Staying in the 2019 NBA Draft | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

Oshae Staying in the 2019 NBA Draft

Oshae has too much trouble with college level tall guys. He has never learned to stop running into them.
And that vertical leap he showed off at the combine doesn't translate to his game on the floor. He doesn't elevate well in traffic and doesn't play strong enough to create space. Maybe he can develop one or both of those skills.

Paul George? What? PG is elite on both sides of the court. He has the handle, range and athleticism (even after the broken leg) that Oshae doesn't have.
I think his defense is underrated, and he will gobble up rebounds in the NBA, shooting will keep him from becoming elite level, a regular rotation guy, IMO. I hope he achieves what Jerami has, but is likely more Chris McCullough. And there’s nothing wrong with that either.

Good luck to OB. Hope he gets drafted in 2nd round. If not have that passport ready. Now maybe Braswell will get a chance to play.

I would think the love being showered on OB after a good showing is from NBA execs see him turning out as Jerami has. I've always thought his game had a ceiling of Paul George, but he may never shoot that well. So JG or even Draymond might be closer as comps, he'll obviously have to get more physical than he has shown to become a DG clone on a winning team.
Huh? The comp set for is one of the elite 2 way players in the league and (though I think he is hype) a player experts say is a key glue contributor to a modern dynasty? Both will be max guys - you really see a max deal in OB"s future?

Huh? The comp set for is one of the elite 2 way players in the league and (though I think he is hype) a player experts say is a key glue contributor to a modern dynasty? Both will be max guys - you really see a max deal in OB"s future?
Post #827 has my prediction in it, the answer is no

Sam Vecenie on Oshae's draft stock and Combine:

TLDR: He thinks he did enough to at least be considered for a 2nd round pick and thinks he made the right decision in remaining in the draft.
Oshae Brissett, Syracuse: Unlike Roby, Brissett’s final call has been made. On Tuesday, he announced that he’s going to stay in the NBA Draft. Brissett had a strong week after playing in the G League Elite Camp. He was one of the unmitigated standouts there, earning his way into the NBA Draft Combine after getting to show off more things offensively than he gets to at Syracuse. Instead of being forced to create everything for himself, he was able to get opportunities direct off the catch, or get back cuts going toward the basket. The increased space also helped him, and he looked every bit of the intriguing prospect scouts thought he was as a freshman.

At the NBA Draft Combine, his play was a bit more mixed. He obviously measured well at 6-8 in shoes with a 7-foot wingspan, and then additionally showcased a bit more explosiveness and bounce than he’s gotten a chance to show at Syracuse by pulling off a 37.5-inch vertical leap. But his performance in the five-on-five against ostensibly better competition was much more average.

That’s totally fine, though. Basically, Brissett moved himself from being something of a borderline top-100 prospect for teams into putting himself well into the mix for the second round. Maybe he gets drafted, maybe not. For some players, that might not be enough to stick in the draft. Here’s why though, in Brissett’s case, I think it’s a reasonable call. At Syracuse, he’s just not going to get the chance to showcase the things executives are looking for. The floor is always condensed at Syracuse offensively because few teams respect their shooters from deep. On defense, he’s going to be stuck playing in a zone and not getting a chance to prove himself in man-to-man defense.

This isn’t to say Jim Boeheim is a bad coach or anything; he’s not. Rather, their goals are misaligned here. Brissett needs to show that he can hit catch-and-shoot 3s, defend in man-to-man, and attack closeouts. But that’s not what he’ll be asked to do at Syracuse, who will likely ask him to create off the bounce, and try to make plays on his own — something that he’s just not quite good enough at because his handle isn’t great and his first step isn’t all that strong. Those aren’t necessarily skills Brissett will need at the next level. Even Brissett ends up going undrafted, it’s probably better for Brissett to develop in the G League for his pro career.

“Even if Brissett ends up going undrafted, it’s probably better for Brissett to develop in the G League for his pro career.”

That last line says it all. Likely a trend.

“Even if Brissett ends up going undrafted, it’s probably better for Brissett to develop in the G League for his pro career.”

That last line says it all. Likely a trend.
Are we in the midst of college basketball becoming like college baseball? I would guess it will all depend on how much the NBA wants to invest in the g-league

Vecenie is right. What Cuse needed OB to do is not with OB needed to do to prove himself as a pro prospect.

Which is true for a lot of players. The pro is you get to work on your strengths to become a viable NBA player. The con is there isn’t a lot of room or time to improve upon your weaknesses against competition.

Vecenie is right. What Cuse needed OB to do is not with OB needed to do to prove himself as a pro prospect.
But had he been able to do what we needed, he may have been an elite prospect. As it stands he is the type of guy that will have to be in the right situation with the right types of players around him to succeed. Sometimes that works out sometimes it doesn't. I suppose what matters though, in this era, is whether coming back to school would have helped his prospects. Probably not.

eh...if OB could've done what SU needed...he would've been a first rounder, easy.

The issue is not what SU asked of him...it is OB's deficiencies...the only real improvement I noticed in his 2 years was he seemed to be getting better at interior passing. His dribble and decision-making were stagnantly not good enough (to be a first-rounder) and his 3 got worse.

the scheme could've enhanced his qualities better, though - that goes for a bunch of recent players as well...Battle, etc

lol like OB didn't have every opportunity here to display his stuff - 35+ mpg in the best conf in the country with a complete green light the vast majority of time.
yeah, it was "Boeheim's system" that made him play like a brick-firing slug the first 1/3 of last season

lol like OB didn't have every opportunity here to display his stuff - 35+ mpg in the best conf in the country with a complete green light the vast majority of time.
yeah, it was "Boeheim's system" that made him play like a brick-firing slug the first 1/3 of last season

Indeed! Couldn't agree more. The cream, no matter what, always rises to the top, and OB wasn't close to being cream quality while here.

It's interesting how in a relatively short period it has gone from if you're a lottery pick go, to late first round go, to 2nd round go, and now, even if undrafted...go.

When in doubt blame Boeheim

It certainly isn't JB's fault but having a roster with total incompetence at center and point guard is a huge factor.

Indeed! Couldn't agree more. The cream, no matter what, always rises to the top, and OB wasn't close to being cream quality while here.

It's interesting how in a relatively short period it has gone from if you're a lottery pick go, to late first round go, to 2nd round go, and now, even if undrafted...go.
I care less and less about college basketball as the years go by. I watched SU because they're my team but I can't say I was passionate the way I used to be. Zion made it fun to watch Duke, but I didn't care at all about anyone else like I used to.

It certainly isn't JB's fault but having a roster with total incompetence at center and point guard is a huge factor.
I'm not gonna say it's JB's fault either. OB is what he is and maybe he'll get better. With regards to who was around him, however, the coaching staff certainly has to take some responsibility for that. They recruit and develop.

Whether or not it’s right to go changes with each prospect. A guy like Oshae who has relatively struggled in his time here should probably go at any point that he looks likely to be drafted. A guy like Ennis who was probably a 2nd round caliber prospect but was getting 1st round talk was smart to leave when he did. A guy like Grant on the other hand probably had a lot of potential to improve his draft stock by returning so (excluding other factors that supposedly influenced his decision) it seems like returning for another year could have very well helped him.

I remember when most here said Chris McCollugh would be undrafted as well.

His bank account probably says otherwise.

Probably the biggest disappointment in SU history. That’s all that matters to me. I don’t judge success by the size of one’s bank account. He’s also making, I’m guessing, about a tenth of what he’d be making if he lived up to his potential. I’ve never seen him play since he was injured after 15 games into his SU career.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom