OT: 30 for 30 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT: 30 for 30

Harding has had it rough. I mean, during the course of her life she was framed by her husband for assaulting her biggest rival, was involved in a high-speed car chase with a stalker, was abducted at knife-point in a separate incident and was forced to ram her car into a tree in order to escape, had her truck stolen, had two masked men invade her home and assault her, was threatened with gang rape and execution, and then, most recently, saw five men armed with rifles trying to sneak onto her property. These are all separate allegations that she has made to the police and media.

Either she has the worst luck in the world, or she is mentally unstable and a compulsive liar. My money is on the latter. She's nuts and she deserved to be thrown out of the figure skating world.
Damn, does the phrase "Luck is the product of Design" fit this one to a T.

Harding is the ultimate tragic figure. She was her own worst enemy and her dysfunctional family of origin established the template for her which she perpetuated by surrounding herself with others with character defects and lacking of any moral compass. In the end, even in spite of incredible talent, the negative ju-ju which encapsulated everything in her life was her undoing. So often in sport it is the unification of talent and the mind and soul feeling balanced and in harmony which equals the moments when individuals rise above all others and achieve something special.

Tiger Woods similarly with his unmatched talent and ability, became unglued when the negative / dark side of him took the front seat in his personal life and career. Likewise, Mike Tyson, ARod, Pete Rose... The American sports landscape is littered with so many who flirted with or attained temporary greatness only to plummet back to the level of mere mortals because of self will run riot.

Is this the image of an Ice Princess?
View attachment 6831
That's too "unpolished" for the WWE or TNA. Hell its probably not good enough for the old ECW.

she was.

im not exactly sure, i just know she rubbed me the wrong way.

i didnt like her before the hit, and the over the top media coverage and designation of the angel and the devil after just pissed me off.
With me I think its my contrarian streak. Media tells me to hate TH and cry tears for NK. I do the opposite.
Well, figuratively.
Only when I flip channels and land on this.
But then again I am not one of those that feed the ratings boom that is Olympic Skating.
I will be watching Gilligan Island episodes on METV, or Colorado St vs Wyoming on ESPN3

Last edited:
I have been in sales all my life. It is always about the money for me. I just think these kids that prepare for the pics are thinking about winning more than money. For me, when they give you the $$ it means you won. Not so sure it is true for others.

You kill before you eat. It is a salesman's clause and if you can't hack it, then you go find a new job.

I hope the Olympics boil down to more than that. The Hunger Games come down to desperation as well.

As with most 30 for 30's I thought it was a good show, for those who didn't watch it or don't have the time this sums it up

Tonya Harding - White Trash, who came from a poor, abusive family
Nancy K - the skating queen who could do no wrong and was screwed out of a gold medal

Wish Nancy would have agreed to be interviewed on the show along with the criminal Jeff Gilooly who has now changed his name to something Stone

Agreed. The show suffered from having extensive clips of Harding giving her side of things and the absence of Kerrigan telling us what it was like for her. So Kerrigan is an "ice queen" and "everybody's darling", etc. etc. What exactly did she do wrong? Her family was also blue-collar but she didn't associate with the type of people Harding did and did no harm to anyone. And we were left to judge whether Harding conspired with her husband and his cronies to do this. She was not proven innocent. I think she was in it from day one.

I got married in late 1994 and the guys who edited and made copies of my wedding video, tried to pull a joke on me. They gave me a copy of the Harding sex tape, like it was my wedding tape. Wifey didn't see it, I caught on in time.
It was nothing to write home about it. The only thing I remember about it is her showing the camera a handful of baby batter.

Maybe... and all the circumstantial evidence sure points to her being involved. But, Gillooly def saw her as a meal ticket. If by some tiny chance she really was innocent of being involved in the plot Harding would have to be one of the saddest victims in sports history. Of course, if she did it, she reaped what she sewed. No matter what though, she had a really rough childhood... could really mess a kid up.

It's either tragedy- where misfortune befalls the central character due to his or her own weaknesses- or pathos where they are innocent victims of that misfortune. Then again, she chose her companions so may it's tragedy either way.

I remember the 1998 Breaking the Ice FOX special hosted by James Brown where Nancy and Tonya sat down together for an interview. Nancy's eyes and body language were super angry at Tonya. Nancy commented and did not forgive Tonya. Its not like she hasn't had a chance to comment on this.
Nancy came off as I said very elitist IMO. I don't blame Nancy for that, but it doesn't mean I have to like for it.

I just watched that and you really have to read a lot into it to describe Nancy and "elitist". She looked like a woman who couldn't believe anyone would do something like this or that she was having to continue to deal with it when she'd moved on with her life. Is that elitist?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom