OT any bourbon or whiskey drinkers? | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

OT any bourbon or whiskey drinkers?

Very good read
So I'm a noob at this stuff and just getting into enjoy my liquor and not racing to pour as much as possible into my body before passing out anymore lol.
Can I get some "starter" suggestions from the group?

A local bar here in Buffalo started a new venture to sell some of their booze. I'm thinking of buying one.

That's actually a pretty good deal and a nice way to try a bunch of different things.

Very good read
So I'm a noob at this stuff and just getting into enjoy my liquor and not racing to pour as much as possible into my body before passing out anymore lol.
Noob here too. I found Gentleman Jack to be a great starter that's reasonably priced. Also was a big fan of the Buffalo Trace Bourbon which again shouldn't break the bank.

I'll let others chime in with some more "sophisticated" choices

Very good read

Some ideas.
Won't break the bank Bourbons:

Evan Williams Black
Evan Williams Bottled in Bond (100 proof)
Very Old Barton (86 or 100 proof)
John E Fitzgerald Larceny
George Dickel (No. 8 or 12 (a bit more))
Gentlemen Jack
Wild Turkey 101 proof
Bulleit Bourbon
Four Roses Small Batch

Irish:

Powers Gold Label (the begininng and the end)

Rye:

Old Overholt
George Dickel Rye
Redemption Rye
Rittenhouse Rye
Rich & Rare Reserve
Bulleit Rye

Very good read
Very good read

I’m nowhere near an expert, but things I wish I knew when a started getting into Bourbon a few years ago.
1. Ask tons of questions if you don’t know something. Tell people what you like (Carmel, vanilla, little burn, lots of burn) You may find a few who are jerks, but most people LOVE to talk bourbon so just ask..
2. You like what you like, and how you like it. Try it neat, try with a splash of water, try with a cube, the only right way to drink bourbon is the way you enjoy it.
3. I personally wouldn’t go for the higher end bourbon’s until I tried a ton of others things. For me, by experiencing other bourbons gave me a better idea how to compare the more expensive ones.
4 I personally like cheaper bourbons that are Bottled in Bond. You know it’s been aged at least 4 years and bottled at 100 proof. One I really enjoy is Evan Williams Bottled In Bond. Super cheap and for me tasty. I mentioned above in the thread I went from chasing super expensive stuff when I first started to trying to chase great tasting cheap stuff that is hard to find

My local place had a special deal on Loch Lomond 12 Single Malt for $25, reg 40. Decided to take a blind gamble. At that price point, the don’t need or expect much. Initial reviews I have seen are generally pretty favorable tho, and it seems I may have gotten a good deal.

Anyone have this before?

Linked is a video from whiskey vault that I sort of followed for my beginner whiskey cabinet. I found out early I don't like scotch or even blended scotches that much. It takes awhile to get past the hot "alcohol" taste that overwhelms your palate. An ice cube or two helps until eventually you don't need as many, or any.

There are some high proofers that ill still add ice. ECBP, Stagg Jr.

My local place had a special deal on Loch Lomond 12 Single Malt for $25, reg 40. Decided to take a blind gamble. At that price point, the don’t need or expect much. Initial reviews I have seen are generally pretty favorable tho, and it seems I may have gotten a good deal.

Anyone have this before?
Had a dram tonight! Not high end but great, for the price.

Anyone have this before?

Yes, I actually visited the distillery, which is pretty close to Glasgow, the last time I was in Scotland. It's more of a Lowlands malt but at that price, you got a deal. I would say its close to Speyburn 10, if you've ever tried that. A nice dram.

Yes, I actually visited the distillery, which is pretty close to Glasgow, the last time I was in Scotland. It's more of a Lowlands malt but at that price, you got a deal. I would say its close to Speyburn 10, if you've ever tried that. A nice dram.
Irish guys: I heard "they are fond of their drink"
Can't confirm though...

Irish guys: I heard "they are fond of their drink"
Can't confirm though...

1608133651161.png

Last night I had to drive out of state to resupply my Tom Cat Gin. While there, I asked if they had any Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare (neither was on the shelves.) The way he said, " Yes, I can give you one of each from the back" made me ask, "Is there anything else of interest back there that I should be asking about?" He smiled and left. When he came back, he had a bottle of Weller's Special Reserve! I haven't been able to get my hands on any for years! I was thrilled and felt rewarded for my 1.5 hour trek. On display behind the counter was a bottle of the WhistlePig Boss Hog 6th addition for a mere $480. that's something I'll never taste out of my own pocket! From their website:

Single Barrel, Bottled at Proof, Powerfully Complex, Distinctly Unique From Anything We’ve Done Before. Stupendous.

On the rare occasion that Dave Pickerell’s five promises are realized, we release a whiskey that epitomizes WhistlePig’s odyssey to unlock the potential of Rye Whiskey.

The Boss Hog Edition 六 is the first American Whiskey finished using Japanese Umeshu, the result of a true collaboration between WhistlePig and Kitaya brewery on Japan’s Kyushu island.

This well aged Straight Rye Whiskey was created using koji fermentation. Each bottle is adorned with The Samurai Scientist – Jōkichi Takamine – who pioneered koji fermentation in the American whisky industry over a century ago.

Each bottle barrel is bottled at strength, between 120 – 122 proof.

1608312161054.png

Last night I had to drive out of state to resupply my Tom Cat Gin. While there, I asked if they had any Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare (neither was on the shelves.) The way he said, " Yes, I can give you one of each from the back" made me ask, "Is there anything else of interest back there that I should be asking about?" He smiled and left. When he came back, he had a bottle of Weller's Special Reserve! I haven't been able to get my hands on any for years! I was thrilled and felt rewarded for my 1.5 hour trek. On display behind the counter was a bottle of the WhistlePig Boss Hog 6th addition for a mere $480. that's something I'll never taste out of my own pocket! From their website:

Single Barrel, Bottled at Proof, Powerfully Complex, Distinctly Unique From Anything We’ve Done Before. Stupendous.

On the rare occasion that Dave Pickerell’s five promises are realized, we release a whiskey that epitomizes WhistlePig’s odyssey to unlock the potential of Rye Whiskey.

The Boss Hog Edition 六 is the first American Whiskey finished using Japanese Umeshu, the result of a true collaboration between WhistlePig and Kitaya brewery on Japan’s Kyushu island.

This well aged Straight Rye Whiskey was created using koji fermentation. Each bottle is adorned with The Samurai Scientist – Jōkichi Takamine – who pioneered koji fermentation in the American whisky industry over a century ago.

Each bottle barrel is bottled at strength, between 120 – 122 proof.

View attachment 193162

Wait, isn't that invoking a dukes of hazzard reference?

Verbotten! Get that wrong think out of your head!

Wait, isn't that invoking a dukes of hazzard reference?

Verbotten! Get that wrong think out of your head!
HA! While a certain pudgy, white suited guy crossed my mind at the time, I didn't think about the double reference of crossing state lines for liquor. As long as mention of the paint job of a particular Dodge Charger and the length of Miss Daisy's shorts is avoided, Nicht Verbotten

When thinking of Daisy Dukes crosses the line, 2020 truly does suck, forget the confederate flag.

Bastards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom