Jefferson's Ocean Aged at Sea Voyage 17
Jefferson's Ocean Aged at Sea Voyage 21 Cask Strength
John F. Fitzgerald Larceny
Uncle Nearest 1856
Woodford Reserve
Four Roses Small Batch
Elijah Craig Small Batch
Buffalo Trace
Which is your favorite Macallan? There's a lot of interesting stuff on there I've never heard of, but definitely will look out for.

Makers has released some special “Holiday” flavors in Ohio, I scooped up the Bread Pudding one but have yet to try it.

Attachments

• 44C67423-C6F3-4428-94EC-1F92BE332C17.jpeg
    44C67423-C6F3-4428-94EC-1F92BE332C17.jpeg
    459 KB · Views: 94
This is a great thread, thanks to all who have contributed, and cannot believe it is taken me this long to find it and jump in. This is another reason why I love these boards here at syracusefan.com.

I figure this is a good time to contribute sitting in the Cuse man shed surrounded by my favorite libations with, finally, time to chime in on all this.

Like many it wasn’t until my 40s toward my 50s that I could truly appreciate anything beyond beer and vodka. Finally I listened to some good advice, opened my mind, and started sampling, this well before the bourbon craze and associated price inflation (talking Pappys now).

Little did I realize at the time that I started at the top probably 10 years ago when somebody hooked me up with the opportunity to buy a bottle of Pappy’s.

Really had no idea what I had, and while I certainly enjoyed it, I had no idea the degree that I should have enjoyed it even more.

So as part of the daily regular routine and keeping things affordable Gentlemans Jack is in the daily routine. With guests or just feeling like a treat would be when Blantons or basil Hayden is broken out.

Surprisingly in this category is a locally made bourbon whiskey from the Saint Lawrence distillery up in Clayton on the St. Lawrence River. It is not bad at all and it’s called “captains flask” bourbon whiskey. Like to support all things local when I can and this is a tolerable and decent spirit that I break out once in a while.

For truly special occasions this is where I will tap into Jefferson Ocean (for those who don’t know this is Jefferson bourbon that is aged at sea and I know it sounds crazy but it really feels like as you’re enjoying your bourbon there is a flavor as if you’re tasting the sea). Strange I know but it is legit.

Now I am lucky enough to have a friend who runs a liquor store and he knows my passion for bourbon so I rely on him for things off the beaten track. For example one of my favorite somewhat reasonable Bourbons is called New riff Kentucky straight Bourbon whiskey. It is heavy on the rye and is absolutely incredibly smooth.

Since Pappys is essentially unavailable to us regular folk, He told me to try Tennessee bourbon whiskey called “peg leg porker”. It comes in both eight and 12 year, and the eight year old one is as close as I’ve had to Pappys in the last 10 years. Really is fantastic.

As mentioned It is somewhat reasonable price wise and in my opinion is better than the 12 year old which is harsher going down.

As many of you know already, and as you younger folks will find out, there’s not much better then enhancing lifes special moments with some of these delightful spirits. From reading here my eyes have been opened to other Bourbons that I’ve never tried but will plan to soon, like buffalo trace and Eagles rare. Thanks all

This is a Great thread let’s keep it going!

Last edited:
Which is your favorite Macallan? There's a lot of interesting stuff on there I've never heard of, but definitely will look out for.

Of the three that I have, the Enigma is probably my favorite. I bought it when the wife and I were on cruise as it's part of their Quest Collection that's travel exclusive. I did a tasting of the four in the collection and the Enigma is the one I liked best. A little pricey at $240-ish at the time I bought it, but I thought it was worth it. Aged in sherry casks, it's really oaky, sweet but not overly so, and spicy. Frankly, it's delicious. I'm looking for a bottle of Blanton's to buy but that's a bourbon unicorn.

This is a great thread, thanks to all who have contributed, and cannot believe it is taken me this long to find it and jump in. This is another reason why I love these boards here at syracusefan.com.

I figure this is a good time to contribute sitting in the Cuse man shed surrounded by my favorite libations with, finally, time to chime in on all this.

Like many it wasn’t until my 40s toward my 50s that I could truly appreciate anything beyond beer and vodka. Finally I listened to some good advice, opened my mind, and started sampling, this well before the bourbon craze and associated price inflation (talking Pappys now).

Little did I realize at the time that I started at the top probably 10 years ago when somebody hooked me up with the opportunity to buy a bottle of Pappy’s.

Really had no idea what I had, and while I certainly enjoyed it, I had no idea the degree that I should have enjoyed it even more.

So as part of the daily regular routine and keeping things affordable Gentlemans Jack is in the daily routine. With guests or just feeling like a treat would be when Blantons or basil Hayden is broken out.

Surprisingly in this category is a locally made bourbon whiskey from the Saint Lawrence distillery up in Clayton on the St. Lawrence River. It is not bad at all and it’s called “captains flask” bourbon whiskey. Like to support all things local when I can and this is a tolerable and decent spirit that I break out once in a while.

For truly special occasions this is where I will tap into Jefferson Ocean (for those who don’t know this is Jefferson bourbon that is aged at sea and I know it sounds crazy but it really feels like as you’re enjoying your bourbon there is a flavor as if you’re tasting the sea). Strange I know but it is legit.

Now I am lucky enough to have a friend who runs a liquor store and he knows my passion for bourbon so I rely on him for things off the beaten track. For example one of my favorite somewhat reasonable Bourbons is called New riff Kentucky straight Bourbon whiskey. It is heavy on the rye and is absolutely incredibly smooth.

Since Pappys is essentially unavailable to us regular folk, He told me to try Tennessee bourbon whiskey called “peg leg porker”. It comes in both eight and 12 year, and the eight year old one is as close as I’ve had to Pappys in the last 10 years. Really is fantastic.

As mentioned It is somewhat reasonable price wise and in my opinion is better than the 12 year old which is harsher going down.

As many of you know already, and as your younger folks will find out, there’s not much better then enhancing life special moments with some of these delightful spirits. From reading here my eyes have been open to other Bourbons that I’ve never tried but will plan to soon, like buffalo trace and Eagles rare.

I'll keep my eyes open for the Peg Leg Porker. Thanks for the tip!

In a local lottery this year my brother, mother, and father won (the right to buy at retail):

Van Winkle 12 (lot B)
Thomas Handy '20
George Stagg '20

All on my behalf! Cant wait to visit over the holidays and pick my bottle up.

Also the Makers Mark 46 Cask Strength is on the best bottles I've drank this year.

Any other Old Forester 1910 or Woodford Reserve Double Oaked fans? My current favorites.

i enjoy the 1910, right now I am into A bottle of the1920. Obviously they are pretty different with proofs but I enjoy the both equally. I’d love to get my hands on some of the Birthday one day!

Reactions: 007
A little tidbit I learned on the Buffalo Trace Distillery tour is that if you are able to get your hands on some Blantons, by all means, keep the horse bottle stopper. There are 8 different stoppers. If you collect all 8 and line them up, they present the different phases of a horse race (the walk to the post, the break, different poles, then the finish line. If you then ship them to the Distillery, they will mount them free of charge on an old barrel stave and send it back to you. As a horse lover, this has added a certain fervor to my search for Blantons.
image-asset.jpeg

A little tidbit I learned on the Buffalo Trace Distillery tour is that if you are able to get your hands on some Blantons, by all means, keep the horse bottle stopper. There are 8 different stoppers. If you collect all 8 and line them up, they present the different phases of a horse race (the walk to the post, the break, different poles, then the finish line. If you then ship them to the Distillery, they will mount them free of charge on an old barrel stave and send it back to you. As a horse lover, this has added a certain fervor to my search for Blantons.View attachment 192900
I have two friends that are collecting them. When I was on the Buffalo Trace tour, they took us to the Blanton's bottling line. First thing they said was "don't take the corks"! I was standing right next to a box of corks and nobody was looking. It was really tempting but I'm a rules guy, so I couldn't bring myself to grab any.

Makers has released some special “Holiday” flavors in Ohio, I scooped up the Bread Pudding one but have yet to try it.
Honestly hate that this stuff exists but may also have to go get the bread pudding since apparently 2 of my favorite things are being put together.

As many of you know already, and as you younger folks will find out, there’s not much better then enhancing lifes special moments with some of these delightful spirits. From reading here my eyes have been opened to other Bourbons that I’ve never tried but will plan to soon, like buffalo trace and Eagles rare. Thanks all

Sounds like there needs to be a special tasting room set up whenever we can get back to the Fine Mess.

Now that I've put together a little collection of wheated bourbon, I don't know if I want to open them. Has anyone figured out a way to have your cake and eat it too?

We usually do a family whiskey tasting session at the holidays. We could do the bourbon or we could save the Van Winkle and do an Irish Whiskey session with Tullamore Dew, Green Spot, Writers Tears and Redbreast 15. (Advice from the board is welcome.)
weller.jpg

Now that I've put together a little collection of wheated bourbon, I don't know if I want to open them. Has anyone figured out a way to have your cake and eat it too?

We usually do a family whiskey tasting session at the holidays. We could do the bourbon or we could save the Van Winkle and do an Irish Whiskey session with Tullamore Dew, Green Spot, Writers Tears and Redbreast 15. (Advice from the board is welcome.)
View attachment 192985
Only way I can think of to have your cake and eat it too is to buy two bottles of each!

Both tasting choices sound wonderful!

Where in the heck did you find the Weller's ? That stuff has become unobtaineum in Dallas. Very jealous.

If any of you are looking for a special gift bottle, pm me. Time to reduce the collection.
Brian, Cuseregular lives close to you. If you want to donate a bottle get with Mike...we'll open it at our first home tailgate next fall. If you are available come on over. We'll feed you as our honorary guest that day.

Where in the heck did you find the Weller's ? That stuff has become unobtaineum in Dallas. Very jealous.
My son lives in New Orleans and the Wellers occasionally show up in his liquor store. He buys them when he sees them. He just told me he is bringing another Weller 12 and another Antique 107 home for Christmas. So it looks like I'll be able to drink it and save it.

My son lives in New Orleans and the Wellers occasionally show up in his liquor store. He buys them when he sees them. He just told me he is bringing another Weller 12 and another Antique 107 home for Christmas. So it looks like I'll be able to drink it and save it.

Tell him to buy as many as he can. When you can even find it here, there is usually a single bottle limit. Wonderful stuff.

A local bar here in Buffalo started a new venture to sell some of their booze. I'm thinking of buying one.

Tell him to buy as many as he can. When you can even find it here, there is usually a single bottle limit. Wonderful stuff.
That is because all you Dallas "Glass Tower Boys" ruin everything and buy too much.

See #SuburbanHousewifeTolietPaperPanic

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom