OT any bourbon or whiskey drinkers? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

OT any bourbon or whiskey drinkers?

It depends on your budget how you make magaritas. Jose and mix .. then a decent blanco with orange liquor and lime juice .. I use a nice blanco fresh lime and a squeeze of agave syrup

I don't pretend to be a whisky connoisseur, but I went to Japan in January for a work trip and purchased Suntory Chita. I find it to be extremely pleasant.

1590977909791.png

I don't want to order online. I want to be able to pick up in store. Went earlier to another Walmart the girl looked at me like I was from another planet. I told her bluntly it's on your website and showed her.

Then drive to Atlanta and go to any Kroger. I don’t know what else to tell you.

Last edited:
I don't want to order online. I want to be able to pick up in store. Went earlier to another Walmart the girl looked at me like I was from another planet. I told her bluntly it's on your website and showed her.
It's also in every grocery store...and I'm in PA which has such an antiquated liquor distribution system that it would seem anything related to alcohol should have a scarlet A associated with it.

Back to the margaritas...

Limes - buy 1-2 dozen and make a bunch of fresh juice. Makes a huge difference
Tequila - you don't need top shelf, but don't get super cheap stuff
Triple Sec - can use that instead of Cointreau. Saves you $$ to use on better tequila

Finally, add a cool ingredient like grapefruit juice, muddled fruit, and/or a splash of something like Le Croix. Decent tequila and real lime juice are the key here. And a bunch of limes only cost like $5

I don't pretend to be a whisky connoisseur, but I went to Japan in January for a work trip and purchased Suntory Chita. I find it to be extremely pleasant.

View attachment 181959
That looks awesome. I've had most of the Suntory ones, but never encountered that before. My favorite is the Hibiki 12 year, which is somehow better than the Hibiki Harmony one you usually see

Decent bourbon doesn't have to be high rent. These 2 are pretty good. My favorite is a $70 bottle of Islay Lagavulin scotch. It's only for special occasions, and to share with friends. While I've never found a cheaper bottle that even comes close to my fav? These 2 might be the best under $50 I've ever had...

I'll buy a 24.99 bottle of Jim Beam for mixing for guests... its good for that. The Buffalo trace is only $27, The Eagle Rare $30. Sipping bourbon. Your friend who loves bourbon may not enjoy Jim Beam neat... For a couple more bucks? He/she is prolly gonna be happy with this...perhaps very happy.

They lack the bite of many 12 year + . Lack the back of the mouth, that bourbon snobs crave. But they are FANTASTIC in the middle.

Blind taste tests, in my house the Eagle Rare wins every time. Same Mash(mash #1) different floor. I've included a pic so you can see the deeper hue. Both good.

If you're wondering why one is full and one has some missing? please note, there used to be 2 bottles of the Rare... They both sell out en masse near me. You can go 3 months without seeing either on the shelf. They instantly disappear. Apparently, my neighbors are pretty happy with these, as well.
Screenshot_20200607-010714_Gallery.jpg

Decent bourbon doesn't have to be high rent. These 2 are pretty good. My favorite is a $70 bottle of Islay Lagavulin scotch. It's only for special occasions, and to share with friends. While I've never found a cheaper bottle that even comes close to my fav? These 2 might be the best under $50 I've ever had...

I'll buy a 24.99 bottle of Jim Beam for mixing for guests... its good for that. The Buffalo trace is only $27, The Eagle Rare $30. Sipping bourbon. Your friend who loves bourbon may not enjoy Jim Beam neat... For a couple more bucks? He/she is prolly gonna be happy with this...perhaps very happy.

They lack the bite of many 12 year + . Lack the back of the mouth, that bourbon snobs crave. But they are FANTASTIC in the middle.

Blind taste tests, in my house the Eagle Rare wins every time. Same Mash(mash #1) different floor. I've included a pic so you can see the deeper hue. Both good.

If you're wondering why one is full and one has some missing? please note, there used to be 2 bottles of the Rare... They both sell out en masse near me. You can go 3 months without seeing either on the shelf. They instantly disappear. Apparently, my neighbors are pretty happy with these, as well.View attachment 182297

I LOVE Eagle Rare.

Buffalo Trace, on the other hand, i find just "ok". Although its usually priced well and is a good value.

I was doing more COVID cleaning and found this deep in a box from a move in 2003. Should I drink it or save it?

Attachments

• 60EBBAB0-03B9-40C7-A21F-669D93B11BD7_4_5005_c.jpeg
    60EBBAB0-03B9-40C7-A21F-669D93B11BD7_4_5005_c.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 153
I was doing more COVID cleaning and found this deep in a box from a move in 2003. Should I drink it or save it?
I've had my Michter's Christmas tree decanter since 1979 and never tasted the contents. But then again it has been aged over ten moves and the heat of a southern attic. It might kill me.

I've had my Michter's Christmas tree decanter since 1979 and never tasted the contents. But then again it has been aged over ten moves and the heat of a southern attic. It might kill me.
Are you kidding?! It might be the magic elixir that would preserve your insides and give you an extra decade or two of life! I have no idea how old this one is. My father-in-law gave it to us not long after we were married in 1993. You said the PA distillery closed in the '80s. He was a PA State Trooper who had a habit of collecting/bartering/trading (bordering on hoarding), so he could have gotten it much earlier. But that was long before we descended into our love of the amber liquid. This was stored in my parents' unheated/uncooled auxiliary garage. I'm a little scared to try it.

Are you kidding?! It might be the magic elixir that would preserve your insides and give you an extra decade or two of life! I have no idea how old this one is. My father-in-law gave it to us not long after we were married in 1993. You said the PA distillery closed in the '80s. He was a PA State Trooper who had a habit of collecting/bartering/trading (bordering on hoarding), so he could have gotten it much earlier. But that was long before we descended into our love of the amber liquid. This was stored in my parents' unheated/uncooled auxiliary garage. I'm a little scared to try it.
Have you checked the decanter to see if it has a date or production number on the bottom?

Received a bottle of Blood Oath #6 aged in Cognac barrels over the past weekend, never had it before, cannot wait to open it. Anyone ever had this one or prevoius years?

We were at some friends' house last night and I got to try some Yellow Spot - first time having it, won't be my last. He brought it back from a trip to Ireland several years ago, but I believe you can buy it in the states now.

1594161232743.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom