OT any bourbon or whiskey drinkers? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

OT any bourbon or whiskey drinkers?

Highland Park 15 was my jam but they got rid of it and I don’t feel like paying for the 18.

Distilled in Kirkwall, Orkney. Same island my grandfather came from. He was from Birsay. A big fan!

Everything I drink is already mentioned. Woodford is my go to and will always be in stock. And every mixer now gets a bada bing cherry, hooked on these beauties!

1590773550807.png

Good on you, and your husband's buddies...lol. To each their own, of course.

Buddy from England says he knows many bartenders that will yell at you for ordering it on the rocks. A side of, "Yer f@gghing ruining it!" Can often be served along with your drink. :)

I was in Ireland right after Syracuse won the title in 2003. Played golf with two of my brothers, and having lunch. Ordered Laphroaig 10 year old on the rocks. One of my brothers was giving me all kinds of crap. Tells the waiter not to serve it, unless neat. Waiters says to me “it’ll break my heart to serve this fine scotch on the rocks. I’ll bring you a cup of ice. What you do with it is your business.”.

I have yet to develop the taste for whiskey/scotch/bourbon. I haven't tried TOO many, but it's because I just don't really like it. No idea how people can sip it. Not sure I will ever enjoy it.

I like gin and tonics, bloody mary's, rum and cokes. But I cannot drink liquor straight.

I don’t drink scotch anymore. It’s too harsh for me to drink straight. Bourbon I can do, but usually have it cocktails.

I want To switch it up I have been growing my liquor supply and want to hear some people’s favorites maybe I’ll try something new. Starting a pretty good collection but ready for some fresh ideas.

Blade And Bow is really good.

EC5F9DF3-47BA-4FB2-BF94-CC7CD5CAD6F5.jpeg

Bushmills > Jameson IMO. Is this controversial? I mean my Irish catholic father has already disowned me for this opinion, but as far as taste goes I think it's reasonable to think this.

I don’t drink scotch anymore. It’s too harsh for me to drink straight. Bourbon I can do, but usually have it cocktails.
It's just a matter of finding the particular scotch that is right for you. I have drunk bourbon that was way more harsh than some Scotches. Keep trying; it's part of the game.

Bushmills > Jameson IMO. Is this controversial? I mean my Irish catholic father has already disowned me for this opinion, but as far as taste goes I think it's reasonable to think this.
It's a personal thing. I may rib my husband for his ice in Scotch but I am foremost very glad to have someone with whom to share the experience, which is really the whole point.

It's just a matter of finding the particular scotch that is right for you. I have drunk bourbon that was way more harsh than some Scotches. Keep trying; it's part of the game.

I tried Glenmorangie with a splash of water. Not bad.

Watched this excellent scotch documentary on a plane. Made me want to drink scotch again.

Last edited:
Anybody have advice on the simplest recipe for a pitcher of margaritas ? Planning on making them for the adults at our annual 4th july party. Should i just buy the margarita mix from wegmans ? Any quick easy recipe.

I like to drink em. No idea how to make them best and easy without my bartender making them.

Anybody have advice on the simplest recipe for a pitcher of margaritas ? Planning on making them for the adults at our annual 4th july party. Should i just buy the margarita mix from wegmans ? Any quick easy recipe.

I like to drink em. No idea how to make them best and easy without my bartender making them.

here you go buddy

0C3D172C-99A9-4DFB-BB37-5FF722E26164.png

Reactions: gbo
I was in Ireland right after Syracuse won the title in 2003. Played golf with two of my brothers, and having lunch. Ordered Laphroaig 10 year old on the rocks. One of my brothers was giving me all kinds of crap. Tells the waiter not to serve it, unless neat. Waiters says to me “it’ll break my heart to serve this fine scotch on the rocks. I’ll bring you a cup of ice. What you do with it is your business.”.
Yeah, he was saying that many get PISSED. To each his own here, buy was saying that many view it like destroying a fine stained glass window... and it's almost always Americans that ask. So yeah. They can be pretty blunt.

On my end, I brought home a 12 year highland scotch. Wife had a sip. Mehh... so I put it on the rocks for her. She spit it out, and said," its freaking worse, why the hail did you do that?" She threw it in the sink, and was pissed that I made it worse. Smh... She doesn't know the debate. On the Rocks made it disgusting. So yeah, some folks have a visceral reaction. They may be less shy over there ...lol

While I prefer it neat, Laphroag is simply one of my top 3... PERIOD. Islay, Lagavulin, Laphroag are my tops. Buffalo trace distillery after that.

In this pandemic, my wife sauteed up some Bananas, added dark chocolate, and finished with Bourbon. (It was FANTASTIC) She refused to use the $30 Eagle Rare, and used the $45 Basil Hayden for cooking, instead. Basil Hayden isnt bad (AT ALL!), but given the choice? She reduced it to cooking wine.

Dunno If that recipe has a name, but OMG... if you like bourbon or chocolate? It's a YES.(sizzle the banana in butter) A restaurant might add confectioner's sugar for appearance(maybe a delicate pastry) and plate appeal... its completely decadent.

Last edited:
Honest question.

It's a real product buddy. I've used it a few times. Just add tequila. If Wegmans doesn't sell it, order it off of Amazon or Walmart. It serves about 20 normal sized margaritas. Or get the mix from Wegmans.

It's a real product buddy. I've used it a few times. Just add tequila. If Wegmans doesn't sell it, order it off of Amazon or Walmart. It serves about 20 normal sized margaritas. Or get the mix from Wegmans.

They sell it at walmart ? Then just add any tequila and that's it.

Last edited:
Weller Antique, Wild Turkey 101, Evan Willams white label, buffalo trace. All easy to find. All tasty.
I would give my left nut to get Weller Antique into the "easy to find" category, it's my favorite bourbon and a unicorn these days. Where do you live that it is easy to find and how quickly can I move there?

For those that like Woodford Double Oaked, try Old Forester 1910. 1910 is like the 5 star point guard who comes in to unseat the solid but topped out upper classmen. Both will serve their purpose but 1910 can win you a title.

Georgetown wine and spirits in Fairport. Print the $5 off coupon before you go. They have a lot of other reasonable bottles. I did not spring for the peerless but might go back
Thanks!
Love Peerless! Spent a week in Kentucky a few years ago visiting distilleries. Peerless (in Louisville) was my favorite! Although the price is a little high.

Scotch is my wedding drink. You can drink it with one cube, or a splash, and sip it all night without ever feeling full and with no hangover. As long as you keep dancing.

My favorite Tequila recipe:
Take one large watermelon. Cut a circular hole in a top side roughly the size of the mouth of your tequila bottle. (Save the cut.) Insert the bottle upside down allowing all contents to pour into said melon. Cork the melon with the cut, and roll it around a few times. Repeat the rolling several times for an hour or so. Cut the melon into wedges. Eat up. Eat up. But keep the kids away.

My favorite Tequila recipe;
  • One large mixing cup
  • 1 lime cut in slices (very important)
  • 6 oz of lemonaide
  • 2 oz of Santo Blanco tequila
  • Dash of grapefruit juice
  • Dash of cherry liquor
  • add to cup,shake well
Then throw that shiite in the garbage and order a single malt scotch neat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom