OT any bourbon or whiskey drinkers? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

OT any bourbon or whiskey drinkers?

I’m a Johnny blue and mcallan guy
But on the bang for your buck side monkey shoulder is pretty good for $40

Ya, agreed, I've been impressed with the Monkey Shoulder.

I have yet to develop the taste for whiskey/scotch/bourbon. I haven't tried TOO many, but it's because I just don't really like it. No idea how people can sip it. Not sure I will ever enjoy it.

I like gin and tonics, bloody mary's, rum and cokes. But I cannot drink liquor straight.

And that is certainly understandable. My only thing I say to people is if you are going to buy nice booze only way to drink it is neat or with just a few ice cubes. Why spend the cash if you are going to mix it but to each their own

Last edited:
I have yet to develop the taste for whiskey/scotch/bourbon. I haven't tried TOO many, but it's because I just don't really like it. No idea how people can sip it. Not sure I will ever enjoy it.

I like gin and tonics, bloody mary's, rum and cokes. But I cannot drink liquor straight.
My wife was the same, but She did like the Corellejo enough, to occasionally sip it. It's good. The only one distilled that way.

While watching the, "ohh so polite" bad boys of "Justified", killing people with the utmost of manners, while enjoying fine Bourbon? She decided to try some of the sipping bourbon, and that's all she wrote. ;-) She now claims ownership to all bourbon that comes through my doors...lol

(Justified is a fine show to enjoy a Bourbon with, BTW)

Last edited:
And that is certainly understandable. My only thing I say to people is if you are going to be nice booze only way to drink it is neat or with just a few ice cubes. Why spend the cash if you are going to mix it but to each their own
There is only one right answer to that question and it is you should never spend cash on good booze and mix it with anything other then ice..... except!!!! Old fashions or Manhattans and even then I use makers mark which I do not consider “good” booze.

There is only one right answer to that question and it is you should never spend cash on good booze and mix it with anything other then ice... except!!!! Old fashions or Manhattans and even then I use makers mark which I do not consider “good” booze.
I'll add dirty Martini. Kettle one/ Grey Goose/ Titos make a difference. I suppose that holds true for gin.

Basic bottle of Jim Bean is plenty good for mixing, imo.

There is only one right answer to that question and it is you should never spend cash on good booze and mix it with anything other then ice... except!!!! Old fashions or Manhattans and even then I use makers mark which I do not consider “good” booze.
Those are precisely why I have a handle of Evan Williams around at all times.

Bulleit Rye is my standard go to that I switched to over High West Double Rye and I currently have a bottle of Hudson Baby Bourbon on the shelf with is pretty good.

I highly recommend the High West distillery and restaurant when in Park City, UT.

the Corallejo tequila is also a standard in my cabinet

Gin? Love Hendricks but so damn expensive for a G&T. I just don't like Beefeaters or Tanqueray and have outgrown Sapphire.

i question anyone whos not a bourbon & whiskey guy.

i also question anyone who has too much of it.

any self respecting gent should be able to polish off at least 3 high-enders a month. there should only be 1 unopened bottle at time.

granted, i panicked a start of this and bought 1k of booze, but even then i had no place to really display them all and theyve been dropping like flies.

even without "a little help from my friends..."

i question anyone whos not a bourbon & whiskey guy.

i also question anyone who has too much of it.

any self respecting gent should be able to polish off at least 3 high-enders a month. there should only be 1 unopened bottle at time.

granted, i panicked a start of this and bought 1k of booze, but even then i had no place to really display them all and theyve been dropping like flies.

even without "a little help from my friends..."

Read my mind. Agree 100%

Bulleit Rye is my standard go to that I switched to over High West Double Rye and I currently have a bottle of Hudson Baby Bourbon on the shelf with is pretty good.

I highly recommend the High West distillery and restaurant when in Park City, UT.

the Corallejo tequila is also a standard in my cabinet

Gin? Love Hendricks but so damn expensive for a G&T. I just don't like Beefeaters or Tanqueray and have outgrown Sapphire.

Same boat, Bulleit is a staple but always have some High West bottles around. Been on a huge Yippee Kay Yay kick. Cold beers and a rye sidecar is a go to. Just a nice steady weekend pace

Took me a long while to do it myself. Started off with Irish Whiskey and worked my way into the stronger varieties. Cheated with some ginger ale, then was able to move to the straight stuff over rocks. I still don't enjoy the peaty scotches, but have found a few of the sherry style I very much like.

Very glad to see all the love for Vermont products here.

Weller Antique, Wild Turkey 101, Evan Willams white label, buffalo trace. All easy to find. All tasty.

Weller Antique, Wild Turkey 101, Evan Willams white label, buffalo trace. All easy to find. All tasty.
I haven't had much luck finding Weller Antique. Or pretty much any other Weller. The Antique is good stuff!

I haven't had much luck finding Weller Antique. Or pretty much any other Weller. The Antique is good stuff!
I concur. In Rochester, I only found one store selling Weller Special Reserve, which I slightly overpaid for and enjoy. I have not seen it anywhere else.

I concur. In Rochester, I only found one store selling Weller Special Reserve, which I slightly overpaid for and enjoy. I have not seen it anywhere else.

it shows up here in Massachusetts. It used to sit on shelves for a while. Now it’s goes fast. Once you know it’s in market, I grab some.

Had this one recently. At 114 Proof the first one is like wow, but can't tell with number 2:
1590631000336.png

Where was that? (I live in Rochester)

Where was that? (I live in Rochester)
Georgetown wine and spirits in Fairport. Print the $5 off coupon before you go. They have a lot of other reasonable bottles. I did not spring for the peerless but might go back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom