OT - Attendance | Syracusefan.com

OT - Attendance

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
I know it's off topic, but I am really surprised that the Cleveland Indians, setting all kinds of records with a now twenty-one game winning streak, are not coming close to selling out their home games.

They had about 24,000 last night and about 29,000 today.

One thing about Syracuse fans, if the team wins and wins big, the fans turn out in droves.

I know it's off topic, but I am really surprised that the Cleveland Indians, setting all kinds of records with a now twenty-one game winning streak, are not coming close to selling out their home games.

One thing about Syracuse fans, if the team wins and wins big, the fans turn out in droves.

I am not sure I have seen Syracuse fans turn out in droves in a long long long time. attendance vs MTSU 29,721, that is after a lot of hype and anticipation coming off a big win and the essential start to the season.

I have to say I was surprised at the small turnout for MTSU. Chance to start 2-0, the Coach Shafer drama, 3:30 start time - I would have thought another 5,000 would be there.
My guess now is for another 30,000 tickets sold / 22,000 in the stands on Saturday.

Attendance trends are a pretty fascinating thing to analyze. So many competing dynamics are at play. The average game crowd in MLB this season is 30,112. Fifteen years ago it was 28,133. For a sport that people have declared dead and buried 100X over, that may seem surprising.

In the case of Cleveland, between the cost of tickets, the length of games, transportation congestion, improvements in TV/streaming coverage, and the increasing inflexibility in people's schedule, it may be reasonable that fans are less likely to react to compelling in-season storylines by attending games. I suspect TV ratings, web traffic and social media interaction has increased a good amount. People express their interest differently than years ago.

They played the series against Detroit in the daytime, I believe. That could partially explain it.

I'm a Cleveland fan, and Orange. Now, you can just imagine what the mood in my house is around 4 p.m. on Sunday's from a much too often double whammied Saturday/Sunday.

The Browns have been losing for years, but their fan base is not fair weathered. The Tribe fans will be out in droves supporting the team as they were during the ALDS, ALCS and World Series last year. The 30K that showed up today got pretty good remarks from MLB Network announcers I watched the game on...it was a noon start on a Wednesday. Have some mercy on the Cleveland faithful. ;):)

They played the series against Detroit in the daytime, I believe. That could partially explain it.
Yeah, daytime games are never going to sell out unless it's a playoff. I would assume that they are good numbers for a Tue/Wed day game

Monday's game began at 7 pm.

The game drew a little more than 18,000.

It just seems odd that with such tremendous success the club is not drawing all that well.

It just seems odd that with such tremendous success the club is not drawing all that well.

Cleveland is a sh!thole. Most people can't afford food or soap, let alone a ticket.

Back to school, back to work, Monday night's not a going out night...I have Nats seasons and do what I can to avoid Monday night games.

I'm a Cleveland fan, and Orange. Now, you can just imagine what the mood in my house is around 4 p.m. on Sunday's from a much too often double whammied Saturday/Sunday.

The Browns have been losing for years, but their fan base is not fair weathered. The Tribe fans will be out in droves supporting the team as they were during the ALDS, ALCS and World Series last year. The 30K that showed up today got pretty good remarks from MLB Network announcers I watched the game on...it was a noon start on a Wednesday. Have some mercy on the Cleveland faithful. ;):)
i like their hats---

I understand attendance being down in certain areas but what surprises me is how docile the fans in Dome were last week. Noise here and there on 3rd downs but it almost seems like I'm watching a tennis match on how quite it has been. I understand the first game but the 2nd...very odd.

Ok, I thought I had heard on the radio at least one of the games started at noon. It may have been yesterday.

I understand attendance being down in certain areas but what surprises me is how docile the fans in Dome were last week. Noise here and there on 3rd downs but it almost seems like I'm watching a tennis match on how quite it has been. I understand the first game but the 2nd...very odd.
It was a weird environment last Saturday for sure. In the fourth quarter on MTSU last third down I was the only one standing and clapping in my section. People left before our last drive too. It feels like most people are treating this season as a chore. This is my fifth year having seasons and it seems like the least interested the fan base has been in that time span. It's still early though need to win Sat and then beat Pitt in a few weeks. Go Orange.

It was a weird environment last Saturday for sure. In the fourth quarter on MTSU last third down I was the only one standing and clapping in my section. People left before our last drive too. It feels like most people are treating this season as a chore. This is my fifth year having seasons and it seems like the least interested the fan base has been in that time span. It's still early though need to win Sat and then beat Pitt in a few weeks. Go Orange.

4 hour games...

I think it will be interesting if Dino turns it around what the crowds will be like. It has been almost a generation of fandom since there was a must see football game at the Dome. The world has changed a lot - economics, attention spans, make up of the student body, other demographics and influences.

I think attendance for a lot of MLB teams has dropped. It's a huge problem

I think attendance for a lot of MLB teams has dropped. It's a huge problem

30K MLB average. It's comforting to the game that teams like Cleveland are top contenders and that it's all not NY, LA an some rich Texas oil guys.

30K MLB average. It's comforting to the game that teams like Cleveland are top contenders and that it's all not NY, LA an some rich Texas oil guys.

There are many issues, baseball popularity is down, games are too long, games are really expensive for the casual fan. I'm happy to see some new blood contend for once.

Actual attendance for yesterday's Indians game was over 30k per the radio announcers after the official attendance was announced. Keep in mind, capacity is only 35k, so that's pretty good for a Wednesday noon start.

There are many issues, baseball popularity is down, games are too long, games are really expensive for the casual fan. I'm happy to see some new blood contend for once.

30K is moving up from the 28K it recently was.

It's really a regional game in a lot of ways, and that might not be a bad thing.

4 hour games...

This is my first time having season tickets since the year we lost to Akron at the Dome. It is also my first time coming regularly with my two fairly young boys (4 & 7) in tow. I have no complaints about costs, parking, the Dome, or anything else that most folks seem to harp upon. The lack of wifi for the first game was annoying, but not something that ruined the experience in any way. I have really enjoyed how the band has been featured more (need to get them some mics for the half-time performance).

But, I will say that I found each of the games to be draining slogs. They are excessively long and choppy. A few years ago i complained about the spread, uptempo style in general, and i was roundly mocked. I don't have an issue with it philosophically, but it is aesthetically challenging as a fan. In addition to the lengthier games caused by all the incomplete passes, the lack of huddling actually makes it appear like teams are doing less. There was something to running a play, huddling, heading to formation, then running another play, that produced a natural cadence that was enjoyable to consume. The running a play, and then standing around looking at wild signs (sometimes with audibles), actually has the impact of seemingly like there is less occurring/less action. Then, when the ball actually does get moving, folks are frantically moving all over the place creating an oddly chaotic juxtaposition. This of course, says nothing about the extensive TV timeouts, which sometimes follow actual breaks in the game. If a team scores a touchdown before the end of a quarter, you are looking at something like 10 minutes of inaction, to play a minute or so of football. That's brutal.

I know many like the 3:30 starts, but they are rough for me. Factoring in my commute to the game and game length, my entire Saturday is spent. I know this actually appeals to many people, but not to me. I like the nooners. Get there early, get home relatively early, and still have both some evening left and the Sunday is not impacted either.

My fixes for college football, (not necessarily just Syracuse), do not stop the clock for incomplete passes until the last two minutes of the first half (second quarter), and the last eight minutes of the fourth quarter. Lengthen half time and cut out a correlating amount of timeouts during the game. There is an hour of actual play. Have to find a way to get game times down to about 3 hours.

Last edited:
His post was about the end of the game.

Gotcha, still...people ask the team to bring it for 60 minutes and it would be nice if the fans would as well. As far as I saw, the crowd was as effective as the SU offense an in my opinion, we the fans were needed (of those who were there).

I get the 4 hour thing, I do but it is what it is and people wanted more passing and what goes with more passing are more incompletions and with that a stopped clock. Add to that...people want the games on TV and once again we have the little red man out there delaying play. Can't really have it both ways.