OT - Attendance | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT - Attendance

Gotcha, still...people ask the team to bring it for 60 minutes and it would be nice if the fans would as well. As far as I saw, the crowd was as effective as the SU offense an in my opinion, we the fans were needed (of those who were there).

I get the 4 hour thing, I do but it is what it is and people wanted more passing and what goes with more passing are more incompletions and with that a stopped clock. Add to that...people want the games on TV and once again we have the little red man out there delaying play. Can't really have it both ways.

NFL games are an hour shorter, college hoop we are done in two hours.

Wasn't there - dunno if the fans just react to that we're playing a directional TN school verses maybe a name brand, cannot speak to that one.

Gotcha, still...people ask the team to bring it for 60 minutes and it would be nice if the fans would as well. As far as I saw, the crowd was as effective as the SU offense an in my opinion, we the fans were needed (of those who were there).

I get the 4 hour thing, I do but it is what it is and people wanted more passing and what goes with more passing are more incompletions and with that a stopped clock. Add to that...people want the games on TV and once again we have the little red man out there delaying play. Can't really have it both ways.

I think it's unusual for all 6 timeouts to be used in the first half like what happened on Saturday.

What's also killing the game time more than anything, and I'd guess at least half the time we hate it, is replay timeouts.

Then of course, the "cramping".

Saturday was the perfect storm. First half alone was 2 hours. Our style leads to some of it, but the NCAA is playing their part as well.

<This is an auto-response generated with anything "attendance" in the subject line>

Just win.

</thanks>

nerds-3.jpg

I think it's unusual for all 6 timeouts to be used in the first half like what happened on Saturday.

What's also killing the game time more than anything, and I'd guess at least half the time we hate it, is replay timeouts.

Saturday was the perfect storm. First half alone was 2 hours. Our style leads to some of it, but the NCAA is playing their part as well.
Close to a perfect storm...if you added 85 degrees and humid outside...then a perfect storm.

Smart Phones are killing college sports...that is why no cheering (i'm even guilty at times)

BTW, have I ever mentioned our students suck...student crowd down 50% from last week...close game and more than half of those that came were not in their seats to start the 3rd Q.

The clock stops on incomplete passes. When you have a team that throws the ball all over the yard, that alone adds a ton of time to game length...especially when the completion percentage is way down like last week.

The first half against CCSU went by relatively quickly assisted by Dungey completing his 12 passes.

It was a weird environment last Saturday for sure. In the fourth quarter on MTSU last third down I was the only one standing and clapping in my section. People left before our last drive too. It feels like most people are treating this season as a chore. This is my fifth year having seasons and it seems like the least interested the fan base has been in that time span. It's still early though need to win Sat and then beat Pitt in a few weeks. Go Orange.

Syracuse fans are generally apathetic towards all sports from what I've seen especially since I left the school. At times the Dome sounds like a morgue during basketball games.

It is hard to say that Syracuse is a bandwagon city. Even during Marrone's successful years (with his last being on the brink of a BCS game) fans didn't turn out in droves to the Dome. Hard to see that turning around if Babers can get this team to be a legit Top 25 program by Year 3. Syracuse fans are who they are. Expecting 40K+ is a pipe dream at this point.

The clock stops on incomplete passes. When you have a team that throws the ball all over the yard, that alone adds a ton of time to game length...especially when the completion percentage is way down like last week.

The first half against CCSU went by relatively quickly assisted by Dungey completing his 12 passes.

Clock also stops on first downs in college where the pros it doesn't.

Close to a perfect storm...if you added 85 degrees and humid outside...then a perfect storm.

Smart Phones are killing college sports...that is why no cheering (i'm even guilty at times)

BTW, have I ever mentioned our students suck...student crowd down 50% from last week...close game and more than half of those that came were not in their seats to start the 3rd Q.

They absolutely suck. In addition to SU being a party school, which it's not, I'm stunned to see it being the top school for spirit. They have to be going off of basketball games alone and even then, the student section isn't intimidating. Otto's Army has done a poor job of devising ways to be creative for years now. Doesn't help that the band stinks too.

This is my first time having season tickets since the year we lost to Akron at the Dome. It is also my first time coming regularly with my two fairly young boys (4 & 7) in tow. I have no complaints about costs, parking, the Dome, or anything else that most folks seem to harp upon. The lack of wifi for the first game was annoying, but not something that ruined the experience in any way. I have really enjoyed how the band has been featured more (need to get them some mics for the half-time performance).

But, I will say that I found each of the games to be draining slogs. They are excessively long and choppy. A few years ago i complained about the spread, uptempo style in general, and i was roundly mocked. I don't have an issue with it philosophically, but it is aesthetically challenging as a fan. In addition to the lengthier games caused by all the incomplete passes, the lack of huddling actually makes it appear like teams are doing less. There was something to running a play, huddling, heading to formation, then running another play, that produced a natural cadence that was enjoyable to consume. The running a play, and then standing around looking at wild signs (sometimes with audibles), actually has the impact of seemingly like there is less occurring/less action. Then, when the ball actually does get moving, folks are frantically moving all over the place creating an oddly chaotic juxtaposition. This of course, says nothing about the extensive TV timeouts, which sometimes follow actually breaks in the game. If a team scores a touchdown before the end of a quarter, you are looking at something like 10 minutes of inaction, to play a minute or so of football. That's brutal.

I know many like the 3:30 starts, but they are rough for me. Factoring in my communicate to the game and game length, my entire Saturday is spent. I know this actually appeals to many people, but not to me. I like the nooners. Get there early, get home relatively early, and still have both some evening left and the Sunday is not impacted either.

My fixes for college football, (not necessarily just Syracuse), do not stop the clock for incomplete passes until the last two minutes of the first half (second quarter), and the last eight minutes of the fourth quarter. Lengthen half time and cut out a correlating amount of timeouts during the game. There is an hour of actual play. Have to find a way to get game times down to about 3 hours.

This is a great post and I agree with all of it.

Clock also stops on first downs in college where the pros it doesn't.
Yep, but like player out-of-bounds it starts (over 2 minutes) once the ball/chains is spotted. The clock doesn't start until the ball is snapped after an incomplete pass.

First game was free for students. Saturday wasn't for anyone. Free stuff!

They absolutely suck. In addition to SU being a party school, which it's not, I'm stunned to see it being the top school for spirit. They have to be going off of basketball games alone and even then, the student section isn't intimidating. Otto's Army has done a poor job of devising ways to be creative for years now. Doesn't help that the band stinks too.

Jeez you're cranky. But I have something for you that i think will help.
4351660.jpg

It's a time machine. Just go with the pre-set.
back_future_clocks_250.jpg

We played Temple in the Dome that day. I don't want to spoil it for you with the outcome, but we averaged 38,563 people per game that season, so it might help you feel better.

Last edited:
4 hour games...
With today's technology I think the game should be played in "real time" in the venue. For TV they can put in TV ads and breaks where they want to and rejoin the game where they left off. At half time they can cut out the talking heads and use that time to rejoin the second have live and repeat the process. I see NO reason for the fans in the stands to suffer at the hands of those who do not attend in person. If you think a 4 hour game is bad in the dome try sitting in Buffalo for a Bills game with rain/snow and 28 degrees.
I sent a similar statement off to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell but since I got no response I think $$$$$$ won out.

They need to figure something out, 4 hours is a killer for too many programs. The flopping stuff is terrible too.

When we were in college, games were between 3:15 and 3:30. It was never as quick as NFL because of the extra 8 minutes of halftime and some of the clock rules.

They just need to get it back to that. I really think it's the replays more than anything. They can stop and replay every single play if they want. And some take forever. There's no common sense applied (like the one on Ishmael's 2 yard gain on 1st and 10 when they had to check if his feet were in bounds, WHO CARES).

If we're winning, 4 hour games are like bonus FB. I don't even notice. Last week was like a prolonged nosebleed.

If we're winning, 4 hour games are like bonus FB. I don't even notice. Last week was like a prolonged root canal.

FIFY thankfully it was relatively cool in the Dome.

I agree with others...get games down to 3 hrs, maybe 3 hrs 15 mins.

The Indians were in Game 7 of the World Series last year in extra innings and almost won it all. Cleveland is going back to the playoffs this year. Your Indians fans aren't excited or going to turn out to see a winning streak in September. They want to see the Indians in the playoffs in meaningful games. The "winning streak" is a nice novelty but they are essentially meaningless games as Cleveland has everything locked up. They will sell out the place in October when the games matter.

NFL games are an hour shorter, college hoop we are done in two hours.

NFL changed their commercials and cut some and with just a 1 week sample size most NFL games last week were under 3 hours, which is the goal. NFL pleased that most Week One games were under three hours

College Football is unbearable with the length of games, far worse than MLB these days. Nobody wants to give up an ENTIRE DAY at a football stadium watching a game. Just like nobody wants to give up an ENTIRE DAY watching a movie, play, or any other form of entertainment. A 4+ hour college football game is a joke! Throw in leaving your house at least 1 hour early (more if you tailgate)...then 1 hour to get home...add it all up and it's longer than a full day of work at times. And on the weekend no less and you literally have no weekend if you go to a College Football game. The games are too damn long! Get to a rolling clock, give the coaches 2 challenges and that's it, and shorten these games.

NFL changed their commercials and cut some and with just a 1 week sample size most NFL games last week were under 3 hours, which is the goal. NFL pleased that most Week One games were under three hours

College Football is unbearable with the length of games, far worse than MLB these days. Nobody wants to give up an ENTIRE DAY at a football stadium watching a game. Just like nobody wants to give up an ENTIRE DAY watching a movie, play, or any other form of entertainment. A 4+ hour college football game is a joke! Throw in leaving your house at least 1 hour early (more if you tailgate)...then 1 hour to get home...add it all up and it's longer than a full day of work at times. And on the weekend no less and you literally have no weekend if you go to a College Football game. The games are too damn long! Get to a rolling clock, give the coaches 2 challenges and that's it, and shorten these games.

I completely agree with all of this. At the same time, I wonder if this is the majority opinion on this Board, and even if so, if this sentiment is shared with fans of programs like Bama, OSU, Oklahoma, Texas, Clemson, etc.? I think we can all agree, Syracuse's football culture is quite different than that of the football factories, and its those football factories that drive revenue, and by extension, change.

I completely agree with all of this. At the same time, I wonder if this is the majority opinion on this Board, and even if so, if this sentiment is shared with fans of programs like Bama, OSU, Oklahoma, Texas, Clemson, etc.? I think we can all agree, Syracuse's football culture is quite different than that of the football factories, and its those football factories that drive revenue, and by extension, change.

Those people are nuts. More like places like UNC, UVa, etc where there are a lot of empty seats and cannot blame that on being inside.

is it the length of the game or the amount of bad plays?

had we beat pitt 70-60 last year i dont think people would have been complaining about the length of the game,

really is it the time or the pace? people dont seem to mind spending 2-3 hrs tailgating but complain the game takes 3-4 hrs?

is it the length of the game or the amount of bad plays?

had we beat pitt 70-60 last year i dont think people would have been complaining about the length of the game,

really is it the time or the pace? people dont seem to mind spending 2-3 hrs tailgating but complain the game takes 3-4 hrs?

4 hours of anything is too long.