OT - Attendance | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

OT - Attendance

First of all, I don't know where four hours comes from. Is that from the time you drive onto the Hill and until leave it? The actual game takes far less than that.

Second, I have been to many, many games of all sorts. I can't remember ever thinking, "This is taking too long". I sometimes root for OT so I can see more of it, if it's a good game.

Third, complaining about the (purposely-inflated) length of a football game is just part of a pattern on here. Nothing escapes the wrath of the hyper-sensitive from the lack of AC to the crowded concourse to the shape of the urinals.

Fourth, whatever happened to Archbold Zak?

Fifth, If I was in DC today, I'd go to Prep v. Gonzaga (The War of the Upscale Catholics) and catch the end of the SU game on WatchESPN.

You are deluded (actually, you're probably just full of BS). While I know we have been told not to feed the trolls, I can't help myself here (it must be that my lack of self-control goes hand-in-hand with my lack of attention span).

I can't speak for anyone else, but my total game day experience lasted from about 9:00 am to 8:00 pm. This included my commute to Syracuse from the Capital District, a stop to Wegman's to get some tailgating supplies, a brief tailgate, a trip to Manny's, the march up the Hill, the game, then my return to the hotel. The game itself averaged out at over an hour of actual time to each quarter. I did this with my wife, who really just goes to people watch and be a good sport, and my two you boys, who I am trying to cultivate into being fans.

I have waited in line for 90 minutes to go on a 5 minute ride at an amusement park, got off, and felt the time was well spent. I can't imagine a person walked out of the Dome last Saturday and felt that all the added time really added to their bang for the buck. A win would have made the slog more worth while, but it would not have altered the overall experience much.

People were asked about the attendance. Someone noted game length as a reason for low attendance. Like many people, I spend my week working, doing housework, running errands, etc. I only have a finite amount of usable hours to catch up on things (leisure or otherwise) on weekends. These games compete with many other things for time (e.g., my sons gave up soccer this fall because of all the conflicting Saturdays).

I don't know who Archibold Zak is but I hope he is doing well, wherever he is.

It says a lot about you that you will chastise a bunch of people that invested in a Syracuse game (that it does not appear you either attended or even watched), and remark that you'd rather go to a HS football game (someone that goes by much more quickly and with practically no expense), particularly one being played by a team affiliated with Georgetown University.

I have been to many HS games that dragged by too.. I dont care about the game length. Its really the commercials that destroy the flow more than anything.. make the halftime 5-10 min longer if they have to but that would lead to several less breaks during the game. big play then TO just kills the energy. make the commercial breaks 1 min longer if they want. anything to have 1-2 breaks a quarter and not 3-4-5.

and make the TOs all 30 secs, half of them are just to stop the clock anyway.

First of all, I don't know where four hours comes from. Is that from the time you drive onto the Hill and until leave it? The actual game takes far less than that.

Second, I have been to many, many games of all sorts. I can't remember ever thinking, "This is taking too long". I sometimes root for OT so I can see more of it, if it's a good game.

Third, complaining about the (purposely-inflated) length of a football game is just part of a pattern on here. Nothing escapes the wrath of the hyper-sensitive from the lack of AC to the crowded concourse to the shape of the urinals.

Fourth, whatever happened to Archbold Zak?

Fifth, If I was in DC today, I'd go to Prep v. Gonzaga (The War of the Upscale Catholics) and catch the end of the SU game on WatchESPN.

Last week we had a 3:30 kick. By the time it was said and done the computer went off at 7:30 or so. That's a long long time, esp for a game of that level of stink.

You are deluded (actually, you're probably just full of BS). While I know we have been told not to feed the trolls, I can't help myself here (it must be that my lack of self-control goes hand-in-hand with my lack of attention span).

I can't speak for anyone else, but my total game day experience lasted from about 9:00 am to 8:00 pm. This included my commute to Syracuse from the Capital District, a stop to Wegman's to get some tailgating supplies, a brief tailgate, a trip to Manny's, the march up the Hill, the game, then my return to the hotel. The game itself averaged out at over an hour of actual time to each quarter. I did this with my wife, who really just goes to people watch and be a good sport, and my two you boys, who I am trying to cultivate into being fans.

I have waited in line for 90 minutes to go on a 5 minute ride at an amusement park, got off, and felt the time was well spent. I can't imagine a person walked out of the Dome last Saturday and felt that all the added time really added to their bang for the buck. A win would have made the slog more worth while, but it would not have altered the overall experience much.

People were asked about the attendance. Someone noted game length as a reason for low attendance. Like many people, I spend my week working, doing housework, running errands, etc. I only have a finite amount of usable hours to catch up on things (leisure or otherwise) on weekends. These games compete with many other things for time (e.g., my sons gave up soccer this fall because of all the conflicting Saturdays).

I don't know who Archibold Zak is but I hope he is doing well, wherever he is.

It says a lot about you that you will chastise a bunch of people that invested in a Syracuse game (that it does not appear you either attended or even watched), and remark that you'd rather go to a HS football game (someone that goes by much more quickly and with practically no expense), particularly one being played by a team affiliated with Georgetown University.

1. A game played in a half hour or even an hour less wouldn't have affected much of your whole day experience. It would have been 9:00AM to 7:00PM instead of 9:00AM to 8:00PM. (And I'm full of BS?)

2. Based on what you wrote, you (or others) seem to be sacrificing too much for this. If I were you, I'd let the kids play soccer, let your wife go shopping or whatever and you can watch on TV. That way you can channel surf during time outs. (I was watching an Orioles game a few weeks ago and shifted between the game and "Crocs vs. Hippos" on the Nat Geo channel. I was rooting for the Hippos and the O's. Both lost that night.)

3. Although both high schools are Jesuit schools, neither is connected to Georgetown University. Although, Georgetown Prep was eons ago. (by the way, I said I would go if I were in DC, but I am not.)

1. A game played in a half hour or even an hour less wouldn't have affected much of your whole day experience. It would have been 9:00AM to 7:00PM instead of 9:00AM to 8:00PM. (And I'm full of BS?)

2. Based on what you wrote, you (or others) seem to be sacrificing too much for this. If I were you, I'd let the kids play soccer, let your wife go shopping or whatever and you can watch on TV. That way you can channel surf during time outs. (I was watching an Orioles game a few weeks ago and shifted between the game and "Crocs vs. Hippos" on the Nat Geo channel. I was rooting for the Hippos and the O's. Both lost that night.)

3. Although both high schools are Jesuit schools, neither is connected to Georgetown University. Although, Georgetown Prep was eons ago. (by the way, I said I would go if I were in DC, but I am not.)

It's a lovely day in the nation's capital for a game. Actually not a bad idea but overbooked today.

That doesn't take away that length of games is hurting attendance at schools that aren't mega crazy stupid about football.

It's a lovely day in the nation's capital for a game. Actually not a bad idea but overbooked today.

That doesn't take away that length of games is hurting attendance at schools that aren't mega crazy stupid about football.

Well, it's never too early to start thinking about high school choices. Although from where you are, Prep is an impossible commute.

I'm sure length of game does matter. But its just one factor, I think. The drive to the stadium, parking, ticket prices, cost of food at concessions, getting out of the parking lot after the game, etc., etc. all count.

I read somewhere today one poor bastard complaining he spent $29 for two beers and a bag of peanuts at a Nats game. It's highway robbery. Eating at a game in any local stadium or arena with four people, including two perpetually hungry kids, probably costs as much as dinner at Morton's.

IMG_3949.jpg
IMG_3948.jpg
Well Pitt didn't fare much better today against the #9 OSU

Students were nowhere to be found

I know it's off topic, but I am really surprised that the Cleveland Indians, setting all kinds of records with a now twenty-one game winning streak, are not coming close to selling out their home games.

They had about 24,000 last night and about 29,000 today.

One thing about Syracuse fans, if the team wins and wins big, the fans turn out in droves.
We actually don't knife that is true anymore since it has been so long since we have been winning.

Four hours too long?

Of course, for all of you with the attention span of a gnat.

You'll spend an hour of that staring into an i-phone exchanging vital information with people you have been endlessly communicating with all week. And surfing the web and the rest of it.
I actually agree. Missed you pal

Sounds like a great day to me. There are incredibly few glorious college football Saturdays in a calendar year. Cherish them.

NFL games are an hour shorter, college hoop we are done in two hours.

Wasn't there - dunno if the fans just react to that we're playing a directional TN school verses maybe a name brand, cannot speak to that one.

Bayside, where did you see that NFL games are an hour shorter?

The average NFL game is 3 hours and 8 minutes. The average college game is 3 hours and 24 minutes.

People in this thread are being way too dramatic about the 4 hour game stuff. That was an outlier.

We actually don't knife that is true anymore since it has been so long since we have been winning.

You may be on to something, Crusty. The fan base of the 90's is in a different stage of life right now.

Bayside, where did you see that NFL games are an hour shorter?

The average NFL game is 3 hours and 8 minutes. The average college game is 3 hours and 24 minutes.

People in this thread are being way too dramatic about the 4 hour game stuff. That was an outlier.

Giants-Boys was over at 11:15 last Sunday (well it was over a lot earlier, but...) Kick was at or after 8:20.

What did we clock in at today, around 3:40 or so?

Giants-Boys was over at 11:15 last Sunday (well it was over a lot earlier, but...) Kick was at or after 8:20.

What did we clock in at today, around 3:40 or so?

Yes, today's game was about 20 minutes shorter than last week's 4 hour game.

Students were nowhere to be found
Absolutely pathetic once again yesterday.

I wonder if you gave 1-2 free tickets to every player and manager if they could guarantee 250-300 additional students every week?

if you didnt have 5-6 injury timeouts you would cut back 20 min.

when i go to a baseball game i hope for extra innings. when we go to a fball game do we hope it gets done as fast as possible? i just want it to be entertaining i dont really care how long it takes unless i have other stuff to do and then thats on me not the game.

Yes, today's game was about 20 minutes shorter than last week's 4 hour game.

And it was still long. Part of that is our style of play. It takes forever to play fast. But for a 3:30 kick it's kinda crazy that at 7 I had to turn it off to take my kids someplace and there was still a lot of time left to play.

And it was still long. Part of that is our style of play. It takes forever to play fast. But for a 3:30 kick it's kinda crazy that at 7 I had to turn it off to take my kids someplace and there was still a lot of time left to play.

I feel like I'm at a period of my life where Saturday is a nuclear code of scheduling activities for a 12 and 11 year old. game could be 30 minutes and I'm still running around. Days are over for me where I can watch uninterrupted unless it's a night game or weather forces cancellation to the sport slate for my children.

I will say this and its something I have never seen at an SU football game in the Dome in I can't remember when if ever. On the 3rd level they didn't even open some of the concession stands today and locked them up for the entire game. So the powers that be who run the place knew the turnout was going to be awful they decided to not even open a handful of concession stands. I was surprised and saddened by that.

I will say this and its something I have never seen at an SU football game in the Dome in I can't remember when if ever. On the 3rd level they didn't even open some of the concession stands today and locked them up for the entire game. So the powers that be who run the place knew the turnout was going to be awful they decided to not even open a handful of concession stands. I was surprised and saddened by that.

Judging by the TV and new seating chart it looks like fans are filling into the dome in more traditional way without the big crowds in the 3rd deck behind the endzones.

My wife and I went to see our local DIII college team yesterday. RPI took on Western New England University before 1,250 fans on a beautiful late summer day. The game started at 12:00 noon and wrapped up at 2:45 with a 31-14 Engineers victory. Chair back seats on the 40-yard line at the top of the lower deck ran $10 each and provided pleanty of room for comfortable viewing. The hot dogs, although not Hofmann, were very good. The men's rooms at the RPI stadium blow away the Archbold-retro look of the Dome urinals. The student pep band (alas, only 2 tubas), cheerleaders and dance team provided more than adequate "student spirit," even if many of the budding techsters were in the lab or library. The game itself was well played for the most part, although just like in "big boy football" the zebras make sure the players don't get all of the attention. I couldn't connect to WiFi (students can), but I had no trouble checking in on the other early games on my iPhone. It was a 45 minute drive home so I only missed a few minutes of the Orange on Sling. Perfect day!

I feel like I'm at a period of my life where Saturday is a nuclear code of scheduling activities for a 12 and 11 year old. game could be 30 minutes and I'm still running around. Days are over for me where I can watch uninterrupted unless it's a night game or weather forces cancellation to the sport slate for my children.

Amazingly in not too many years you are going to look at this period as the "Good Old Days".

There will always be SU football and basketball. But the kids are only 12 once.

Four hours too long?

Of course, for all of you with the attention span of a gnat.

You'll spend an hour of that staring into an i-phone exchanging vital information with people you have been endlessly communicating with all week. And surfing the web and the rest of it.

Get off my lawn!

Funny as I went to the concession stand at halftime and I literally walked up and got what I wanted instantly as no one was in line at all. As I ordered I heard that student won a thousand dollars on the P.A. so it was a few minutes into halftime.