OT: best burger in Syracuse area... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT: best burger in Syracuse area...

Had a surprisingly excellent burger at Eagle Tavern on Buckley Road. Firecracker burger with cherry peppers. Really good. Have some pretty good gourmet style sandwiches as well for an unsuspecting bar in a little plaza.

I've heard good things about that place. I'll have to try it out next time I'm out that way (which is almost never, so it may take a while).

Up until about 6 months ago, I’d back you up. Last couple of times I’ve been...it’s been marginal.
I have to agree - the best part of the burger is the price at this point. Still a good burger but "best"...not sure.

The Power Play burger from Ale and Angus - the best. Have yet to try the Beef on Weck burger that just won best burger in NYS.

Bit of a drive from the Cuse(20-30 minutes), but Madison Bistro in Wampsville is pretty darn good. It's right across from the Madison County courthouse. They took 3rd place for best burger in that same competition that Ale and Angus won. Recently, they also won some award for best steak in NY.

I'm gonna have to check this place out. Only about 20 minutes from home.

Sometimes I feel ashamed about my CNY restaurant knowledge. I'm 31 and a lifer.
Sure, I know all the Syracuse staples but there are so many great places out there I haven't been or haven't heard of.

Any other gems folks can share? (Not necessarily limited to burgers)

I dare someone to argue against Blarney Stone. Go on, do it.

The Blarney is the best $5 burger you're going to find anywhere.
Other than that, though, Ale & Angus on Harrison Street near the AXA Towers always seems to get voted best burger in the area. They are very good.

Bull n bear liverpool is decent. Chain burger smokey bones and actually Longhorn has one they put shaved steak on top of that doesnt disappoint.

There are 2 problems with Bull & Bear -

(1) Mark tells the cooks to cut holes in the middle of the burger so it cooks faster; what's most important to them is how quickly it hits the table. This, of course, lets all the juice drain from the burger, and the meat gets dried out, once it cools down, and

(2) Bull & Bear has problems with some of their managers. The product can be very good (e.g. the stuffed salt potatoes are genius!), but it can be very mediocre. It depends on who is managing at that time.

I’ll toss out a wildcard. They may not be as good as a place like ale and angus but they are very good. Red Robin. Plus you get unlimited steak fries. And there is one not too far from OCC at Township 5 in Camillus. About 5-6 miles.

At Red Robin, avoid the double burgers, because they are smaller patties and not very juicy. The single burgers are really good. I especially like their mushroom swiss burger.

Way back for those who remember, Sutter's Mill on the hill had a pretty good burger.

I used to cook there. The reubens were amazing, too. And great salads.
The chef's salad was 1 inch cubes of really good deli ham, turkey and swiss.
And the french onion soup, too. Wow.
That was my first job in a kitchen that wasn't a dining hall.

for my money forget the RED ROBIN in camillus plaza and drive the extra 10 minutes instead down 5 to elbridge and over to the RED ROOSTER off stump road (122) . in fact i stayed a few nights at the new TRU and found the plaza food ...well plaza food. had a good BBQ at MO's tho one exit down. of course i didn't try the wildly popular impossible burger at red robin . sold out. anybody sampled this veggie patty ?

for my money forget the RED ROBIN in camillus plaza and drive the extra 10 minutes instead down 5 to elbridge and over to the RED ROOSTER off stump road (122) . in fact i stayed a few nights at the new TRU and found the plaza food ...well plaza food. had a good BBQ at MO's tho one exit down. of course i didn't try the wildly popular impossible burger at red robin . sold out. anybody sampled this veggie patty ?

My well-meaning mother-in-law knows I love burgers and got us a gift card for Red Robin a few years back. Went twice. Didn't enjoy the overcooked hockey pucks. Red ROOSTER on the other hand is baller. Huge fan of everything they've got.

I enjoy Mo's, too - burgers, catfish, mac and cheese, ribs. All better than average.

I enjoy Mo's, too - burgers, catfish, mac and cheese, ribs. All better than average.
[/QUOTE]

i drove by there on my way back to the hotel and MO's parking lot was full i thought "i should check this place out." took a shower drank a beer and when i arrived 1 hour later i was the only patron. by the way my view from the TRU was a lovely vista of costco's roof. very nice room and staff tho.

In Roch, Bill Gray's or Tom Wahl's. Only place I have found a must have burger.

In Roch, Bill Gray's or Tom Wahl's. Only place I have found a must have burger.
wayback in the 80's i used to hit wahl's off the 390 avon/lima exit. they put me up at the crest hill (or the green pool as we used to call it) and it was just down the road. still open ? great burger. very saucy and they used to place a piece of grilled ham on them if i remember correctly. ate them on picnic tables outside.

wayback in the 80's i used to hit wahl's off the 390 avon/lima exit. they put me up at the crest hill (or the green pool as we used to call it) and it was just down the road. still open ? great burger. very saucy and they used to place a piece of grilled ham on them if i remember correctly. ate them on picnic tables outside.
They still have Tom Wahl's spread out all over the Rochester area. I am unaware if there is one still in the Avon area. My wife loves Tom Wahl's. I would not have them on my best burger's list, but I would take Tom Wahl's or Bill Gray's with Rochester meat/hot sauce over MCD or Burger King or other run-of-the-mill fast food previously frozen burger.

when i say saucy... there are some burgers you can pick up drive off and eat. the arby's beef and cheddar is a perfect travel companion. the wahlburger was not in that category. it'd be all over your lap two bites in.
probably not what i would call a "great" burger but definitely a tasty gut bomb after working 12 hours.

Last edited:
Executive chef at the Blarney stone here. I usually get sick and tired of the food where I cook but after 5 years I can honestly say the blarney has the best burger in the area hands down. We work hard to make a consistent and delicious burger. Hand pattied and seared on that perfectly seasoned hot flat top grill. No machine pressed patties here, and it makes a huge difference. Each burger is custom made exactly to the way you want it. Half pound Bacon cheeseburger loaded with the works with fries and a quality beer for around10 bucks! come on ive paid over 20$ for all that. And we've won best burger in syracuse 12 yrs in a row in the contest that counts, ale n Angus not quite up there with us plus it costs double.

Executive chef at the Blarney stone here. I usually get sick and tired of the food where I cook but after 5 years I can honestly say the blarney has the best burger in the area hands down. We work hard to make a consistent and delicious burger. Hand pattied and seared on that perfectly seasoned hot flat top grill. No machine pressed patties here, and it makes a huge difference. Each burger is custom made exactly to the way you want it. Half pound Bacon cheeseburger loaded with the works with fries and a quality beer for around10 bucks! come on ive paid over 20$ for all that. And we've won best burger in syracuse 12 yrs in a row in the contest that counts, ale n Angus not quite up there with us plus it costs double.
Plus coming to the menu soon is our play on a french dip. We call it the Tipperary Dip. I smoke a top round of beef, shave thin, then top with Guinness and jameson glazed caramelized onions and my gouda horseradish cheese sauce. Served on a toasted geddes bakery roll. And homemade au jus. Really killer sandwich. Say hello to Brian in the kitchen! I also do cuse based specials on game day. Go SU burger-simple and delicious- crumbly blue cheese and a nice tomato- orange and blue!! Plus many more

I know I’m going to get hammered for this but in a pinch on the road the new, fresh quarter pounder at McDonald’s stacks up pretty well with most burger places. Is it Blarney good, no, but I’d put it against 5 guys. Sub out ketchup and mustard and put in Big Mac sauce and it’s damn tasty.

Plus coming to the menu soon is our play on a french dip. We call it the Tipperary Dip. I smoke a top round of beef, shave thin, then top with Guinness and jameson glazed caramelized onions and my gouda horseradish cheese sauce. Served on a toasted geddes bakery roll. And homemade au jus. Really killer sandwich. Say hello to Brian in the kitchen! I also do cuse based specials on game day. Go SU burger-simple and delicious- crumbly blue cheese and a nice tomato- orange and blue!! Plus many more

A good French dip is my go to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom