OT: Conference Realignment (Big Vote Next Week) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Conference Realignment (Big Vote Next Week)

Just spitballin' here...

Any chance this helps make UCONN the ACC's 15th team (with 3 pods of 5 teams) and ND stays with their deal - making them a potential 16th team to the ACC if their hand is ultimately forced and they must join a conference?
The ACC has no reason to move to 15 teams, unless one of those teams is ND or Texas. No one else moves the needle enough to add another mouth to feed.

The Big Ten doesn't want the ACC to have the ability to do the 3+5+5 or the Big XII to have a CCG at 10 teams.

The Pac-12 will vote with Big Ten. The SEC doesn't care. If the ACC wants the 3+5+5 it will have t make a deal with the Big XII for the 10 team CCG and those 2 conferences would be 24 teams. The Big Ten and Pac-12 team would be 26 teams.

The SEC would likely side with the ACC/B12 and it would pass.

If the 3+5+5 passed the top 2 ACC teams every year would play in the CCG game regardless of what prior division they were in. We would see Clemson-Florida State play twice a year some times and that would help their SOS but could hurt them if they lost in getting into a CFB playoff.

I have done the projections our permanent 3 would be BC, Pitt and then one of Miami/Virginia/Louisville.
I think it's more likely you'll get Miami than us or Louavul. Miami comes across as wanting as many games as they can get in the Northeast because of the large group of alums and students there. Having you as their third permanent opponent would give them 3 games in the Northeast over the 4-year cycle. I think we'll get either Louavul or Wake and Louavul will get either us or BC because we're the four that don't have a natural third partner (BC would get either Louavul or Wake). The match-ups that you and Cornbread and Collards from the Tar Pit came up with for 3-5-5 are the industry standards.

I think it's more likely you'll get Miami than us or Louavul. Miami comes across as wanting as many games as they can get in the Northeast because of the large group of alums and students there. Having you as their third permanent opponent would give them 3 games in the Northeast over the 4-year cycle. I think we'll get either Louavul or Wake and Louavul will get either us or BC because we're the four that don't have a natural third partner (BC would get either Louavul or Wake). The match-ups that you and Cornbread and Collards from the Tar Pit came up with for 3-5-5 are the industry standards.
This is how I would see it.
These teams have 3 easily
Clemson-NC State, Georgia Tech, Florida State
Duke- North Carolina, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest
North Carolina- NC State, Duke, Virginia
NC State- North Carolina, Clemson, Wake Forest
Florida State- Miami, Clemson, Georgia Tech
Georgia Tech- Clemson, Duke, Florida State

These teams have two easily
Wake Forest- Duke, NC State
Boston College- Pittsburgh, Syracuse
Pittsburgh- Syracuse, Boston College
Syracuse- Boston College, Pittsburgh
Miami- Florida State, Virginia Tech
Virginia- North Carolina, Virginia Tech
Virginia Tech- Miami, Virginia Tech

Then Louisville: would need 3 and the second batch would one

I would go Louisville: Syracuse, Miami, Virginia
Make Wake-BC and Virginia Tech-Pitt annual.

Georgia Tech-Duke was the rivalry I learned existed that I had no clue about. If Tech would give up Duke then the ACC could make Georgia Tech-Louisville an annual rivalry and make Duke-UVA as well.

Georgia Tech-Louisville is the rivalry I think the ACC could see grow as they are good programs. I love to Louisville play Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Miami more frequently for TV purposes.

Last edited:
i cant keep up.

will somebody get me the new map alsacs is working off??

the one where louisville and atlanta are close because kentucky and georgia are neighboring states.

thanks.

otherwise, nice job.

Reactions: CIL

Virginia Tech- Miami, Virginia

I think I saw Louisville as having Pitt (playing for the ownership of the Ohio River?), and Va Tech as the two "for sures" on the Tar Pit. They seemed to like that set-up on their board since VPI is about 100 miles closer to them than we are. They had no problem or preference with either us or BC as their third opponent since getting VPI would get them regular access to Va.

i cant keep up.

will somebody get me the new map alsacs is working off??

the one where louisville and atlanta are close because kentucky and georgia are neighboring states.

thanks.

otherwise, nice job.
I got TN and KY mixed in my head. My bad but I meant they are close and would be a good rivalry for that build for the ACC.

I think I saw Louisville as having Pitt (playing for the ownership of the Ohio River?), and Va Tech as the two "for sures" on the Tar Pit. They seemed to like that set-up on their board since VPI is about 100 miles closer to them than we are. They had no problem or preference with either us or BC as their third opponent since getting VPI would get them regular access to Va.
If Louisville got: Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh, Boston College/Virginia
it would Syracuse, Miami, Wake Forest, Boston College/Virginia needing to be divided for their 3rd games.

We could see Syracuse-Miami and Wake Forest-BC then just leave UVA with Louisville and I think everyone would be pretty happy. I do know though VPI-Pitt have a decent rivalry from their Big East days but nothing that makes the game necessary.

Virginia Tech- Miami, Virginia Tech

Georgia Tech-Duke was the rivalry I learned existed that I had no clue about. If Tech would give up Duke then the ACC could make Georgia Tech-Louisville an annual rivalry and make Duke-UVA as well.

Georgia Tech-Louisville is the rivalry I think the ACC could see grow as they are good programs. I love to Louisville play Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Miami more frequently for TV purposes.

That's some solid work

If Louisville got: Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh, Boston College/Virginia
it would Syracuse, Miami, Wake Forest, Boston College/Virginia needing to be divided for their 3rd games.

We could see Syracuse-Miami and Wake Forest-BC then just leave UVA with Louisville and I think everyone would be pretty happy. I do know though VPI-Pitt have a decent rivalry from their Big East days but nothing that makes the game necessary.
nothing is necessary when you play them every other year anyway.

how far down the food chain do we need to go??

3 schools every year is enough.

but not quite Ivy League - is it Joel?
My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment. I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night.

If I am every other conference I vote to allow the Big XII to stay with ten teams and have a championship game simply because it will foreclose further movement to the P5 conferences and will in that way protect the AAC and the other smaller conferences from poaching.

To me, it's a no brainer.

Just spitballin' here...

Any chance this helps make UCONN the ACC's 15th team (with 3 pods of 5 teams) and ND stays with their deal - making them a potential 16th team to the ACC if their hand is ultimately forced and they must join a conference?
If the measure passes...it could work with a 4+5+5...which means a 9 game conference schedule...throw in Notre Dame and that might be too much. Although it would keep ESPN happy.

Last edited:
http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...-conference-title-game-byu-houston-Cincinnati

If it passes, the ACC could theoretically add 1 more team and do some creative scheduling.
Anybody who thinks the Big Ten opposition is not about sticking it to the ACC for the ND arrangement is ultra naive.

Part of that is because the BT sees how ND would clearly prefer not playing 7 annual ACC teams. So preventing the ACC from going to 3 annual foes and much quicker rotating of the rest of the league could help make it harder for ND to take the plunge.

Anybody who thinks the Big Ten opposition is not about sticking it to the ACC for the ND arrangement is ultra naive.

Part of that is because the BT sees how ND would clearly prefer not playing 7 annual ACC teams. So preventing the ACC from going to 3 annual foes and much quicker rotating of the rest of the league could help make it harder for ND to take the plunge.
From the strategic thinkers that brought you - Rutgers.

UConn will never be in the ACC. UConn has a shot at Big XII expansion if they have to go to 12.

No chance the ACC is going to add another school unless ND committed fulltime and then if ND did they could pick an additional team. However I am at the point where I am F ND and don't want to deal with them even as a full member.

UConn will never be in the ACC. UConn has a shot at Big XII expansion if they have to go to 12.

No chance the ACC is going to add another school unless ND committed fulltime and then if ND did they could pick an additional team. However I am at the point where I am F ND and don't want to deal with them even as a full member.
Hard to see UConn getting picked over Cincy, Houston and maybe BYU.

Hard to see UConn getting picked over Cincy, Houston and maybe BYU.
Houston isn't going to get into the Big XII. They don't want another TX team. I think UConn, Memphis, Cincinnati, Central Florida would be the schools they would look at.

If I am every other conference I vote to allow the Big XII to stay with ten teams and have a championship game simply because it will foreclose further movement to the P5 conferences and will in that way protect the AAC and the other smaller conferences from poaching.

To me, it's a no brainer.
Or, outlaw champ. games

Or, outlaw champ. games

I don't care if the Big XII wants to play with ten teams.

I frankly don't want to see other decent conferences such as the American Conference destroyed or de-stabilized by more P5 expansion - something a 12 team requirement would prompt.

Also, I don't want to see the ACC or Big Ten go to 16 teams.

And I absolutely don't ever want to see a team like UConn in our conference.

Yes. Those two conferences are basically tied at the hip from a Commissioner relationships level. Whatever the Big Ten wants the Pac-12 will support and vice-versa.
The Pac made the Rose Bowl deal with the Devil, and that means the Pac must now serve the Big Ten.

From the strategic thinkers that brought you - Rutgers.
And a part of that was to try to hurt ND long term in the NYC TV market, where its subway alums are extremely important.

Is it a stupid idea? Yes. But the BT is that super rich kid who never has to suffer for his stupid ideas and so has no incentive to become a decent person.

Not sure why everyone is anti-UConn? UConn, Cuse, Duke and ND would give the ACC the edge in NYC over the B1G.

Sure their Internet (UConn) fans have a fair share of tools...but do we want to risk losing NYC to the B1G? Our closest conference opponent is 5 hrs away in traffic, the next closest is 5.5 hrs. It would be nice to have another opponent 4 hrs away. We shouldn't be afraid of competition. If Cuse gets this Dome reno...UConn will have nothing to overshadow that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom