OT: Conference Realignment (Big Vote Next Week) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Conference Realignment (Big Vote Next Week)

Not sure why everyone is anti-UConn? UConn, Cuse, Duke and ND would give the ACC the edge in NYC over the B1G.

Sure their Internet (UConn) fans have a fair share of tools...but do we want to risk losing NYC to the B1G? Our closest conference opponent is 5 hrs away in traffic, the next closest is 5.5 hrs. It would be nice to have another opponent 4 hrs away. We shouldn't be afraid of competition. If Cuse gets this Dome reno...UConn will have nothing to overshadow that.

New York is an international city...with our without Fishy and crew it doesnt really matter.

Not sure why everyone is anti-UConn? UConn, Cuse, Duke and ND would give the ACC the edge in NYC over the B1G.

Sure their Internet (UConn) fans have a fair share of tools...but do we want to risk losing NYC to the B1G? Our closest conference opponent is 5 hrs away in traffic, the next closest is 5.5 hrs. It would be nice to have another opponent 4 hrs away. We shouldn't be afraid of competition. If Cuse gets this Dome reno...UConn will have nothing to overshadow that.
Florida State/Clemson don't want more basketball schools being added to the conference. There is a reason Louisville was chosen over UConn in 2012.
UConn FB would do nothing to help the ACC and honestly the ACC Network doesn't need UConn to ever happen. They are another mouth to feed that doesn't add their worth to be included. UConn is not going to be added to the ACC unless the conference is gutted.
There won't be any expansion from any conference in the near future except maybe the Big XII if they are forced to go to 12 to get to a CCG.

UConn would help the ACC Network...it would deliver CT and help nail down NYC.

Because storz is useless.

Nobody is 'losing' The City, it can't be won. Flags are planted and so be it.

What we can 'win' is new areas to plant a flag for recruiting and eyeballs.

Not sure where that Flag will go or if it will even be attempted, but 1 thing is for sure...it won't be on a farm in central nutmeg.

Mark the Big Ten isn't stupid. They are evil but not stupid they didn't take UConn for the Big Ten Network. CT is a small population state IT WOULD NOT HELP THE ACC Network.

The ACC Network is doomed because of ESPN losing profits and Disney wanting them to scale back expenses. Adding itty bity ole UConn isn't going to cause ESPN to change its mind. UConn in the ACC right now does nothing but piss off Clemson and Florida State with an Northeast football school they want nothing part of and reinforces the notion the ACC only cares about hoops and not football.
The ACC is done with expansion unless the Fraudulent French make a decision they will never make.

The only conference that could expand in the near future is the B12 if they are forced to get to 12 teams for a CCG.

UConn isn't going to be invited into the ACC it makes no sense right now and ticks off the big dog football schools.

NYC can never be nailed down. It is far too much a Pro sports town and not nearly enough a College sports town. Beside that, St Johns inn the ACC would do as much to deliver NYC for hoops as UConn in the ACC. That is not a call to add the Johnies - it is another way to mark the lack of value in UConn.

ND football going full member not only delivers an ACC network but guarantees it is as profitable as the SEC and BT networks. ND going to 6 ACC football games per year might be a sticking point for ESPN.

As for adding a school to help with an ACC network - Navy is a better value than UConn.

WoadBlue said:
NYC can never be nailed down. It is far too much a Pro sports town and not nearly enough a College sports town. Beside that, St Johns inn the ACC would do as much to deliver NYC for hoops as UConn in the ACC. That is not a call to add the Johnies - it is another way to mark the lack of value in UConn. ND football going full member not only delivers an ACC network but guarantees it is as profitable as the SEC and BT networks. ND going to 6 ACC football games per year might be a sticking point for ESPN. As for adding a school to help with an ACC network - Navy is a better value than UConn.

But if UConn was in the ACC, people in New England and certain Northeast areas wouldn't have trouble getting SU games on TV the way they do now. Not that I'm advocating for UConn to join the ACC.

Mark the Big Ten isn't stupid. They are evil but not stupid they didn't take UConn for the Big Ten Network. CT is a small population state IT WOULD NOT HELP THE ACC Network.

The ACC Network is doomed because of ESPN losing profits and Disney wanting them to scale back expenses. Adding itty bity ole UConn isn't going to cause ESPN to change its mind. UConn in the ACC right now does nothing but piss off Clemson and Florida State with an Northeast football school they want nothing part of and reinforces the notion the ACC only cares about hoops and not football.
The ACC is done with expansion unless the Fraudulent French make a decision they will never make.

The only conference that could expand in the near future is the B12 if they are forced to get to 12 teams for a CCG.

UConn isn't going to be invited into the ACC it makes no sense right now and ticks off the big dog football schools.
If only FSU and Clemson opposed UConn, it would have a chance eventually. But UNC will never forget the lawsuits, filed not just by UConn but by the state of CT as well. UConn is not getting into the ACC. It made its bed in a fit of rage from which it refused to back down.

I don't want UConn in the ACC for the simple reason that we don't need any more P5 competition in our recruiting region. Let them stay in the AAC with no money and (eventually) wither on the vine.

I'll stick to my original prediction when we got into the ACC. Eventually UConn will be in the ACC.

Since their isolation in the AAC UConn's recruiting in football and men's basketball has taken a major hit. They are a geographic recruiting rival to SU. There is no denying that their move to BCS level football in the Big East had a serious negative impact on our recruiting. They siphoned off players we would have previously gotten. Why in the world would any SU fan or administrator want UConn admitted to the ACC to resurrect their recruiting? Makes no sense.

I'll stick to my original prediction when we got into the ACC. Eventually UConn will be in the ACC.
If UConn gets in, either the ACC already won't be what we know now, or it will change for the worse shortly thereafter.

The hatred for and lack of trust in UConn is that deep in the old ACC, and not just at Clemson and relative newby FSU.

Since their isolation in the AAC UConn's recruiting in football and men's basketball has taken a major hit. They are a geographic recruiting rival to SU. There is no denying that their move to BCS level football in the Big East had a serious negative impact on our recruiting. They siphoned off players we would have previously gotten. Why in the world would any SU fan or administrator want UConn admitted to the ACC to resurrect their recruiting? Makes no sense.
You ask exactly the questions any Syracuse fan should ask - often.

I think Cuse needs to beef up its NYC area basketball, but not by playing UConn. I think you should play St Johns every year. I think Cuse football should play Home-Away against Army at least couple times (meaning at least 4 games total) each decade. But no games vs. UConn.

Have always felt their NYC appeal is way over-rated. Most of their following in their own state is in the central and northern part of the state. They don't have nearly the same following in Fairfield county in the southern part of the state. And it's a small state to begin with. Their good showing at MSG for hoop games is mostly from Hartford area fans taking a 2 hour train ride to NYC not residents of metro NYC.

SU68 said:
I don't want UConn in the ACC for the simple reason that we don't need any more P5 competition in our recruiting region. Let them stay in the AAC with no money and (eventually) wither on the vine.

UConn isn't going to die.

If UConn gets into the ACC then the conference will have been gutted. The conference isn't going to add UConn in the forseeable future. Again the football schools hate them and as WoadBlue said the ACC lawsuit and individually naming Swofford and other ACC presidents hurts them.

Madbiker said:
Have always felt their NYC appeal is way over-rated. Most of their following in their own state is in the central and northern part of the state. They don't have nearly the same following in Fairfield county in the southern part of the state. And it's a small state to begin with. Their good showing at MSG for hoop games is mostly from Hartford area fans taking a 2 hour train ride to NYC not residents of metro NYC.

Many of the NY radio stations -- CBS and WFAN, for example -- don't even report SU scores half the time. But they always provide UConn scores.

But while I don't want to compete with UConn, the ACC would be a lot stronger in the Northeast with them.

Alsacs said:
If UConn gets into the ACC then the conference will have been gutted. The conference isn't going to add UConn in the forseeable future. Again the football schools hate them and as WoadBlue said the ACC lawsuit and individually naming Swofford and other ACC presidents hurts them.

I'll stick with my opinion, you can have yours.

Agreed. Hard to envision that happening.

Just spitballin' here...

Any chance this helps make UCONN the ACC's 15th team (with 3 pods of 5 teams) and ND stays with their deal - making them a potential 16th team to the ACC if their hand is ultimately forced and they must join a conference?
IMO, there is mathematically zero chance that the ACC would move on any team other than ND. That last spot is a sweetener, and ND would have a say in who that final team is.

Madbiker said:

100% true. Although UConn is popular in the New Haven and New London shoreline area. So 90% true, I guess. ;)

cuseguy said:
Many of the NY radio stations -- CBS and WFAN, for example -- don't even report SU scores half the time. But they always provide UConn scores. But while I don't want to compete with UConn, the ACC would be a lot stronger in the Northeast with them.

It's mixed. UConn is often mentioned but at times they aren't. Half the time the NYC radio stations ignore all local teams and only give scores for the major national games.

Scooch said:
It's mixed. UConn is often mentioned but at times they aren't. Half the time the NYC radio stations ignore all local teams and only give scores for the major national games.

True. No consistency.

UConn has a shot at the Big XII. They aren't getting into the ACC or Big Ten. The Big Ten will keep an eye on Oklahoma and Texas. The ACC is doing nothing till the Fraudulent French make a move. Then the conference could consider a 16th team.

The ACC won't add a 15th team as the conference will not go 9 conference games because of Florida State/Georgia Tech/Clemson have to play SEC rivals every year and the years they play at Notre Dame they would have only have 6 home games and Clemson/Florida State need a minimum of 7 home games each year.

The ACC isn't going to 9 conference games and thus won't add a 15th team without a 16th team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom