OT - Could the Dwight Howard soap opera be over?? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT - Could the Dwight Howard soap opera be over??

It is honestly mind boggling to me how Orlando agrees to this trade. They keep Hedo's horrible contract, get LOTTERY PROTECTED draft picks, and no good young players to build around. I'm trying to look for a possible incentive for them to agree to this deal and can't think of one, unless they're trying to help Philly, LA, and Denver get considerably better. I don't know anyone who would agree to that on Xbox let alone with a real life nba franchise.

I'm still not so sure this makes the Lakers that much better than OKC tho f at all. The Olympics are showing how big the gap is between Durant and Kobe now (let alone Kobe and LeBron) and Lakers still don't have anyone who can guard Westbrook or Durant. OKC can combat Gasol by having Ibaka cover him, then remember Boston was able to consistenly handle Orlando a few years ago because Perkins can play Howard straight up. Will be interesting too to see how Lakers Heat match up. Heat will obviously go small and put LeBron on Gasol (which he's shown he can do) and then try and take Gasol and Howard away from the basket by making Gasol cover Lewis/Battier and Bosh spot up from 15-18 feet. NBA will be a lot of fun this year again.

I think Iguodala and Bynum are great improvements and ick ups for Denver and Philly too.

Also, this helps Heat quite a bit because I'm nt sure how they don't finish with the best record in the NBA and get home court advantage. Their division will be Charlotte, a terrible Magic team, and a gutted/rebuilding Atlanta. They'll have the division clinched by the All Star break.

Magic fan here.

I am perplexed and sad. Also mad.

Fwiw, John Hollinger tweeted out that Hennigan may not be the one pulling the trigger on this deal. He's hearing Alex Martins, Magic President and CEO is pushing this. Always nice to have non-basketball people making the most important decision ever for the franchise.

As much as Bynum's knees and overall attitude scare me, why not just take him back for Dwight straight-up. He's a legitimate piece, a building block. He's not going to leave the franchise he's traded to. He'd be turning away an additional 20m. There is a 0% chance he leaves Philly. He's not that marketable NBA star that will turn away that type of cash to go where he wants, IMO.

Harkless and Vucevic are long-shots to become meaningful NBA players. The 3 picks coming back are protected (lolwat). The Denver part of this is just weird. It would be palatable if somebody like Gallinari was coming back. But Afflalo and Harrington? The ?

Orlando's leverage was compromised long ago. I realize they weren't going to get full value for Dwight. But this was botched. In my opinion he's the 2nd best basketball player in the world, he's a guaranteed 50-win player. I think people sometimes underestimate how transcendent of a talent he is defensively. Realize I'm saying all of this and I hate his guts.

Magic fan here.

I am perplexed and sad. Also mad.

Fwiw, John Hollinger tweeted out that Hennigan may not be the one pulling the trigger on this deal. He's hearing Alex Martins, Magic President and CEO is pushing this. Always nice to have non-basketball people making the most important decision ever for the franchise.

As much as Bynum's knees and overall attitude scare me, why not just take him back for Dwight straight-up. He's a legitimate piece, a building block. He's not going to leave the franchise he's traded to. He'd be turning away an additional 20m. There is a 0% chance he leaves Philly. He's not that marketable NBA star that will turn away that type of cash to go where he wants, IMO.

Harkless and Vucevic are long-shots to become meaningful NBA players. The 3 picks coming back are protected (lolwat). The Denver part of this is just weird. It would be palatable if somebody like Gallinari was coming back. But Afflalo and Harrington? The ****?

Orlando's leverage was compromised long ago. I realize they weren't going to get full value for Dwight. But this was botched. In my opinion he's the 2nd best basketball player in the world, he's a guaranteed 50-win player. I think people sometimes underestimate how transcendent of a talent he is defensively. Realize I'm saying all of this and I hate his guts.
I like Afflalo alot, but he can't be the centerpiece of your deal.

I like Afflalo alot, but he can't be the centerpiece of your deal.

Yeah, not a knock on him really. He's a fine SG. High-effort guy, solid defender. Though I've read he slacked a little bit on D this year and tried to take on more of an offensive role.

Orlando's leverage was compromised long ago. I realize they weren't going to get full value for Dwight.

The only thing I'll say to this is they were never going to get full value for Dwight; it's basically not possible unless Miami was going to trade Lebron (not happening).

But this is incredible underwhelming. As an Orlando fan, would you rather have had the (rumored) Houston package? And wouldn't you rather have Stan Van Gundy coaching this team?

The only thing I'll say to this is they were never going to get full value for Dwight; it's basically not possible unless Miami was going to trade Lebron (not happening).

But this is incredible underwhelming. As an Orlando fan, would you rather have had the (rumored) Houston package?

Completely agree on the value. Even if he was open to being traded anywhere, just wasn't possible.

The Houston package was always so murky. I'd assume we'd be getting Kevin Martin and his expiring contract, Scola before he was amnestied, maybe 1 or 2 out of White, Lamb and Jones? Toss in some spare parts like Motiejunas, Morris or Parsons.

Just a bunch of lottery tickets there but yeah I think I'd rather have that.

I forgot, throw in Kyle Lowry. Before he was sent to Toronto. I think he's incredibly undervalued and he probably has the most team friendly contract in the entire league.

Toss in losing Ryan Anderson in exchange for Gustavo Ayon and it's been a pretty rough summer.

Gasol, Bryant, Nash and D12 on one team. How's parity working out for ya D Stern?

don't schedule the parade just yet. the Lakers will field:
  • a 38 year old point guard learning (a) a brand new system and (b) discovering he is no longer the first or even second star
  • a 33 year old shooting guard with the mileage of a 37 year old and in clear decline
  • a 33 year old SF also in clear decline
  • a 32 year old PF in mild decline
  • a petulant center coming off of back surgery
major coup for Kupchak and Jim Buss, no doubt, but it's still an old team with no room to maneuver financially

that new Orlando GM should be run out of the league. both the NJ and Houston deals gave him better talent and more salary relief. Trading the best big in the league for pennies on the dollar is bad enough, sending him to the Lakers is a crime. I only half jokingly wonder if he's getting some kind of a kickback.

Yeah king of reminds me of when Karl Malone went to the Lakers at the end to win a championship. I think someone else did too. Maybe Gary Payton. They ended up not getting a championship.

Also, I think Houston (Morey) could potentially be lying to media about what they reportedly offered.

Why not take the opportunity to tell your fan-base that, 'Hey, we did everything we possibly could to land Dwight but they didn't want our deal. It's their fault, not ours."

They're taking this, but wouldn't take the Brook Lopez/a billion first round picks package from Brooklyn, who would've eaten a bad contract or two as well?

The Magic are a mess.

They're taking this, but wouldn't take the Brook Lopez/a billion first round picks package from Brooklyn, who would've eaten a bad contract or two as well?

The Magic are a mess.
It really makes you wonder.

I think Denver is the biggest winner is trade. They got the one thing they really needed a guy how can get his own shot when the offense breaks down. I don't think LA will be able to beat OKC because the match-up are horrible for LA. Nash will have to guard Westbrook or Harden and they will put LA's help defense it foul trouble (Howard, Gasol, and Artest). Lastly Kobe is not very good off the ball (reason he has been struggling in the Olympics) but Nash needs the ball in his hands to be great. In the playoffs in late game situations this will be a huge problem for LA it took Miami 2 years to figure end of game situations out. LA doesn't have 2 years at their advanced ages.

Yeah king of reminds me of when Karl Malone went to the Lakers at the end to win a championship. I think someone else did too. Maybe Gary Payton. They ended up not getting a championship.

eghhh, they got malone and payton but they were both at the end of their ropes. dwight is entering his absolute prime and nash, despite being 38, is still playing at a very high level. plus its not like that laker team sucked, they did get to the finals despite kobe and shaq hating each other.

also remember the lakers were pretty damn good last year. they won the pacific and even though they lost to okc in 5, that series was much closer than that. lakers literally gave away 2 games. game 2 they were up 7 with 2 minutes left and had back to back turnovers that led to fastbreak dunks, and game 4 they were up double digits at home in the 4th and blew it. they win either one of those games and it probably goes 7, so its not like they were that far away from competing with okc.

they'll also be fielding

-one of the greatest point guards of all time who finished 2nd in the league in assists last year and led the league the 2 years before that, tied his career high in fg% last year, and finished 4th in the league in true shooting %
-one of the greatest players of all time who finished 2nd in the league in scoring last year and 14th in efficiency (his best in 3 years). he played too many minutes last year, that shouldnt be a problem this year.
-agree about world peace, although he was playing great down the stretch until the elbow
-one of the most skilled big men in the nba who was the 8th most efficient player in the league last year
-the greatest center of his generation who is entering the prime of his career and is a monster in the pick and roll, something that 38 year old pg he'll be playing with excels at too.

also throw in a guy who averaged 17ppg last year coming off the bench. this team could be ridiculous.
here's the thing, though: the Lakers came into the off season saying that they needed to get younger and more athletic, especially on the perimeter.

Instead - they got older at every position and, depending on the success of Howard's back surgery, possibly even less athletic at every position and, at best, more athletic at only one spot.

Kobe and Pau spent the summer putting even more mileage on their aging bodies, MWP isn't even in the same neighborhood as his former self, and you have to wonder how long Nash can keep it up.

On paper, the pieces look amazing, and they should certainly win their division and probably the 2nd seed in the West, but I think they will look like four relative statues trying to guard the young legs of various possible opponents come playoff time.

Az80fv6CMAAV4wG.jpg:large

dwight is 10x the athlete bynum is, even if his back isnt 100%, come on. hes a freak athlete.

dwight is 10x the athlete bynum is, even if his back isnt 100%, come on. hes a freak athlete.

your penchant for hyperbole remains undiminished, but as I noted - even if he is a better athlete, they are still older and slower at every other position. The only spot they upgraded was the one spot where they were already young and athletic - and even there, they just got two years older. By the time Kobe is done chasing Jordan, Howard will be 30 and no longer the young body to lead the next era of the Lakers (and don't think Kobe doesn't know this)

here's the thing, though: the Lakers came into the off season saying that they needed to get younger and more athletic, especially on the perimeter.

Instead - they got older at every position and, depending on the success of Howard's back surgery, possibly even less athletic at every position and, at best, more athletic at only one spot.

Kobe and Pau spent the summer putting even more mileage on their aging bodies, MWP isn't even in the same neighborhood as his former self, and you have to wonder how long Nash can keep it up.

On paper, the pieces look amazing, and they should certainly win their division and probably the 2nd seed in the West, but I think they will look like four relative statues trying to guard the young legs of various possible opponents come playoff time.

When you have a chance to get Dwight and Nash, you gotta go for it. I know what you're saying, but sometimes you just go for it.

Howard will be 30 and no longer the young body to lead the next era of the Lakers (and don't think Kobe doesn't know this)

Unless the back acts up and gets him, I think Dwight is going to age really well. He's not shrinking any time soon.

And it's possible they could amnesty Artest and get quicker at the 3.

Facing the Thunder in the playoffs would be a fascinating matchup. Who guards Westbrook? Who guards Durant?

Facing the Thunder in the playoffs would be a fascinating matchup. Who guards Westbrook? Who guards Durant?
for that matter, the Nuggets gave the Lakers all they could handle last year, and the Nugz just got better, too.

I will say this for the Lakers - structuring the deal this way maintains their flexibility for the summer of 2014, which I though should have been there target all along. That summer, Kobe and Pau come off the books opening a ton of cap space (in fact, everyone except Nash and a probably re-signed Howard will be off the books). Assume Kobe re-signs at a steep discount (a la Tim Duncan), and the Lakers will have room to sign Kevin Love, who can opt out that summer. Lakers will be appealing to Love because he has family in the city, he played there in college, they are a winning franchise, they will have a center in place so he can play the 4, and it will be him who is the designated guy to lead the next generation Lakers.

I will say this for the Lakers - structuring the deal this way maintains their flexibility for the summer of 2014, which I though should have been there target all along. That summer, Kobe and Pau come off the books opening a ton of cap space (in fact, everyone except Nash and a probably re-signed Howard will be off the books). Assume Kobe re-signs at a steep discount (a la Tim Duncan), and the Lakers will have room to sign Kevin Love, who can opt out that summer. Lakers will be appealing to Love because he has family in the city, he played there in college, they are a winning franchise, they will have a center in place so he can play the 4, and it will be him who is the designated guy to lead the next generation Lakers.

Also you forgot the Lakers always end up with a superstar player whenever they n eed one.

I didn't realize this; Love is "only" 3 years younger than Dwight. I think Dwight is going to age better than Love.

Also you forgot the Lakers always end up with a superstar player whenever they n eed one.

I didn't realize this; Love is "only" 3 years younger than Dwight. I think Dwight is going to age better than Love.

maybe, but back surgery is not a good sign. many people who go under the knife once end up going back again (and again, and again . . .)

When you have a chance to get Dwight and Nash, you gotta go for it. I know what you're saying, but sometimes you just go for it.

Unless the back acts up and gets him, I think Dwight is going to age really well. He's not shrinking any time soon.

And it's possible they could amnesty Artest and get quicker at the 3.

Yeah, I'm not as bullish on the Lakers getting the title as a lot of folks even with this trade, but you have to do it if you are the Lakers.

It would be a very interesting matchup to see the slow / big / half court offense of the Lakers versus the quick / small / transition game of Miami.

And, I can't believe I'm saying this, if it were those two, I would root for Lebron and Miami to beat Kobe and company.

maybe, but back surgery is not a good sign. many people who go under the knife once end up going back again (and again, and again . . .)

It's amazing that we basically haven't heard anything about Dwight's back surgery. I agree with you; the back injury is scary, and often something that recurs, but i have no idea if we should be worried about it in this case.