Class of 2023 - OT Deandre Duffus (FL) Verbal to Maryland | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 OT Deandre Duffus (FL) Verbal to Maryland

And Locksley still might be the worst football coach in P5. Have fun!

With the quarterbacks we have acquired recently through the portal and newly recruited, you would think we could land a 3 star OT. I guess I am putting too much emphasis trying to think like an 17 or 18 year old kid. It would be nice to get a few OL here soon.

Lucious Pucey?
He's probably the most shining example of a kid that *could* have had their recruitment affected by stuff posted on these boards. His thread was definitely over the top.

For the most part though, our board is extremely tame compared to other fanbases and I feel this message board impact stuff is more finger pointing than anything. We have had such larger macro level issues that have affected our various staffs over the past 20 years in recruiting, and on a micro level their own actions in recruiting individual kids that have been documented through interviews with recruits (late to the party, losing contact, etc).

And on a side note, I would add that if a kid really gets affected by someone poking fun at their name on a message board, kind of makes me wonder how they would stand up on the road against an opponent where the crowd is throwing obscenities etc. at them.

BL: you're dealing with 17 year old kids with recruiters and relatives in their space 24/7. My son ruled out a school on a campus visit because it was pouring rain that day. They'll glom onto the most insignificant negative to make their choice. If a school choice comes down to a coin flip...stuff like this (immature jokes with last names) has negatively affected Cuse in the past. Mahogany was another example.

BL: you're dealing with 17 year old kids with recruiters and relatives in their space 24/7. My son ruled out a school on a campus visit because it was pouring rain that day. They'll glom onto the most insignificant negative to make their choice. If a school choice comes down to a coin flip...stuff like this (immature jokes with last names) has negatively affected Cuse in the past. Mahogany was another example.
These kids have every right to choose where and how they're going to live and play. There's plenty of bullying already. I was hoping he'd play in Orange but best wishes to him. My kids chose 7 different universities for a bunch of reasons. None of those choices was mine to make. Life is a whole lot about respect.

Your point is made and I am not questioning the potential influence, especially since this kid posted entirely about the pronunciation of his last name, but the Mahogany assertion surprises me. I know there was lots of "word play" with his name and I likely took part. Again, that is his choice to make and any perceived slight may be justified but his was not the case of mispronunciation. I just figured with a name like that, the lighthearted ribbing comes with the territory. My bad.

That's a shame to hear that type of stuff may have had any influence on the Mahogany decision. That thread had some pretty amazing lines in it and gave me some good laughs. I say that if someone doesn't have a good enough sense of humor to take them with a grain of salt, then I woodn't want him on my team anyway.

Your point is made and I am not questioning the potential influence, especially since this kid posted entirely about the pronunciation of his last name, but the Mahogany assertion surprises me. I know there was lots of "word play" with his name and I likely took part. Again, that is his choice to make and any perceived slight may be justified but his was not the case of mispronunciation. I just figured with a name like that, the lighthearted ribbing comes with the territory. My bad.
It’s not even ribbing, it’s a thread for folks here to practice their wordplay and wits. Take offense, whatever.

I know I can put this thread on ignore, but I can’t stand seeing “Verbal to Maryland” every time I check out my beloved Orange.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom