OT: Did you hear what Popovich did tonight? (very messed up) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Did you hear what Popovich did tonight? (very messed up)

Tony La Russa was notorious for resting his stars if the Cardinals won the first two games of a three-game set (or the first three of four). Mike Matheny did the same thing for most of last season (until the team needed to win more games to ensure a playoff spot). There are a number of baseball managers who rest players when there's a day game after a night game or on getaway day.

those players are still on the bench. pop sent then home. thats bs.

and people talking about the schedule to justify this? seriously? do you know how much these guys make??????? its an insult to the working man!

The league has no right to dictate who plays and who does not.

End of story.

Stern's been a great commissioner.

How so? Besides making players dress up for games. I fail to see how he's been great.

He's made the NBA so soft. Over extended his bounds on multiple occasions. Veto'd a trade to the Lakers, which was ridiculous. And has been bully abusing his power for some time.

Now he's going to tell a guy with 4 titles how to coach? Laughable.

and people talking about the schedule to justify this? seriously? do you know how much these guys make??????? its an insult to the working man!

When people start paying $100+ to watch you work in an arena that sits 30,000+, and when doing your job more often than usual puts you at risk for an injury, then we can talk about how it's an insult to the working man.

Most teams clinch the last month of the season. You're just being silly.

Not every team makes the playoffs. Don't tell me I'm being silly when you're not using your head.

How so? Besides making players dress up for games. I fail to see how he's been great.

He's made the NBA so soft. Over extended his bounds on multiple occasions. Veto'd a trade to the Lakers, which was ridiculous. And has been bully abusing his power for some time.

Now he's going to tell a guy with 4 titles how to coach? Laughable.

Yeah, it's time for him to go. In fact, I think they already have a Goodell-type waiting in the wings.

Stern has done a fantastic job marketing the game and making it global. When he took over as commish the NBA was a few years past having finals games on tape delayed. I think he has worn out his welcome, so to speak, but I also think he's been an unquestioned positive for the NBA.

Not every team makes the playoffs. Don't tell me I'm being silly when you're not using your head.
Then they wouldnt need to rest 4 players at the beginning of the season or at the end, resting 1 player is no big deal for legit reasons, but not 4.

Then they wouldnt need to rest 4 players at the beginning of the season or at the end, resting 1 player is no big deal for legit reasons, but not 4.

You're not being consistent at all. One player is OK. End of the season is OK.

Forgot to respond to this part...So the fans are getting their money's worth if they get to see these guys dressed up on the bench? Do we really need to see Parker in a designer suit, Duncan in a Cosby sweater and Ginobili in a pirate shirt?

Hypothetically, let's say I want to rest my 4 best players. Why can't I choose to rest them all in the same game against a top team on the road, in a game I am unlikely to win in the first place, and then have them all available in upcoming games, thereby increasing my chances of winning those games. My job as a professional coach is to win games, not to appease the fans or television networks or league officials.

Hypothetically, let's say I want to rest my 4 best players. Why can't I choose to rest them all in the same game against a top team on the road, in a game I am unlikely to win in the first place, and then have them all available in upcoming games, thereby increasing my chances of winning those games. My job as a professional coach is to win games, not to appease the fans or television networks or league officials.

It was also pointed out that their next game is against Memphis, who is one of the best teams in the west.

No coach in their right mind rests their top players against the top teams especially early on in the season. Ive never heard of such a thing, its a disgrace.

No coach in their right mind rests their top players against the top teams especially early on in the season. Ive never heard of such a thing, its a disgrace.

I just said that future HOF manager Tony La Russa used to do it all the time, and now his replacement does the same thing.

A disgrace how? A disgrace to who?

Well one just did.

I just said that future HOF manager Tony La Russa used to do it all the time, and now his replacement does the same thing.

A disgrace how? A disgrace to who?
Theres more players on the field in baseball so it would have less of an impact. And i dont recall him resting superstars in meaningful games. I dont agree with your opinion and never will. I respectfully disagree.

Yeah I guess Gregg Popovich has no idea what he is doing.

Theres more players on the field in baseball so it would have less of an impact. And i dont recall him resting superstars in meaningful games. I dont agree with your opinion and never will. I respectfully disagree.

Your whole view on this is silly.

forget about stern for a second, you guys dont have a problem with popovich sending 4 of his best players HOME? thats absolutely ridiculous in my opinion, these guys are freaking gazillionaires, i think they can tough out a long road trip. danny green is 25 years old and popovich sent him home and missed a game cause hes tired from a long road trip, think about how ridiculous that is. its disrespectful to the game all around, even their teammates. hes basically telling the rest of the team you guys arent important enough to get extra rest. and i cant believe the players all went along with it, last i checked basketball is a team game, if youre gonna rest me im at least gonna stay on the bench and support my teammates, not be on a damn plane.

I agree with that. There's something pretty anti-team about allowing guys to miss a roadtrip, absent some sort of medical or personal problem that would be worsened by participation in team activities.

If the guys are tired, sit them. That's fine. But have them sit on the bench, listen in the lockerroom, observe the walk-through, be there for the team meal (do they still have those at the professional level), and support their teammates.

I've long felt the same about baseball teams sending a starter back home early during the tail end of a road trip. Stop being a weenie and root your teammates on. Staying in Chicago for an extra twelve hours and sitting in a dugout isn't going to wreck your start in two days.

Edit: Regardless of any of this, that's a decision that should be made by the head coach and/or his employer. It's none of the commissioner's concern.

And the situation is insane: the owners' greed compelled the commissioner to schedule games more tightly in order to make more money. Because this tight schedule left his players tired, a coach decided it would be best for his players' health to rest them. And the commissioner's response to this response to his own greed is, understandably enough, to threaten to take some of that team's money.

I agree with that. There's something pretty anti-team about allowing guys to miss a roadtrip, absent some sort of medical or personal problem that would be worsened by participation in team activities.

If the guys are tired, sit them. That's fine. But have them sit on the bench, listen in the lockerroom, observe the walk-through, be there for the team meal (do they still have those at the professional level), and support their teammates.

For whatever it's worth, when Pop was resting the guys last year, that is what he did. Sending them home a little earlier does seem a little weird to me.

And the situation is insane: the owners' greed compelled the commissioner to schedule games more tightly in order to make more money. Because this tight schedule left his players tired, a coach decided it would be best for his players' health to rest them. And the commissioner's response to this response to his own greed is, understandably enough, to threaten to take some of that team's money.

This is true. (Though to be fair it goes both ways; I'm sure the players like making more money as well but I hear what you're saying)

Season should be shorter; but i really doubt either side wants that.

Do you follow the Cardinals? How would you know? You're disagreeing with facts now.

The Spurs almost won last night. So what was the big impact?

You guys are little girls. If you dont like me thats fine, you dont have to agree with my opinions, but youre not going to disrespect me. If your man enough you can say your cheapshots at a tailgate to my face, but i guarantee neither of you will.

Done. See you in September.

You guys are little girls. If you dont like me thats fine, you dont have to agree with my opinions, but youre not going to disrespect me. If your man enough you can say your cheapshots at a tailgate to my face, but i guarantee neither of you will.

Booya grandma

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom