OT: Did you hear what Popovich did tonight? (very messed up) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Did you hear what Popovich did tonight? (very messed up)

I agree with that. There's something pretty anti-team about allowing guys to miss a roadtrip, absent some sort of medical or personal problem that would be worsened by participation in team activities.

If the guys are tired, sit them. That's fine. But have them sit on the bench, listen in the lockerroom, observe the walk-through, be there for the team meal (do they still have those at the professional level), and support their teammates.

I've long felt the same about baseball teams sending a starter back home early during the tail end of a road trip. Stop being a weenie and root your teammates on. Staying in Chicago for an extra twelve hours and sitting in a dugout isn't going to wreck your start in two days.

Exactly, thats my biggest issue with this, the sending them home part. I cant believe more people dont have a problem with this. Yea some baseball managers rest guys a day game after a night game or something like that, but theyre not sent home. Theyre still with the team, theyre still in uniform on the bench, theyre still participating in batting practice, theyre still supporting and high fiving their teammates. To me it shows a lack of respect to the integrity of the game, thats what stern has a problem with. These guys are not bigger than the game. If they were in uniform on the bench and didnt play i doubt this would as big a story as it is. With the money nba players make now and the lifestyles they lead and first class travel and hotels, i wonder how an old time nba player who made peanuts and traveled on buses feels about players being sent home because theyre playing 4 games in 5 nights lol, so ridiculous. Again if im one of those players told to go home im staying with my team, you dont wanna play me fine, but no way im going home.

Exactly, thats my biggest issue with this, the sending them home part. I cant believe more people dont have a problem with this. Yea some baseball managers rest guys a day game after a night game or something like that, but theyre not sent home. Theyre still with the team, theyre still in uniform on the bench, theyre still participating in batting practice, theyre still supporting and high fiving their teammates. To me it shows a lack of respect to the integrity of the game, thats what stern has a problem with. These guys are not bigger than the game. If they were in uniform on the bench and didnt play i doubt this would as big a story as it is. With the money nba players make now and the lifestyles they lead and first class travel and hotels, i wonder how an old time nba player who made peanuts and traveled on buses feels about players being sent home because theyre playing 4 games in 5 nights lol, so ridiculous. Again if im one of those players told to go home im staying with my team, you dont wanna play me fine, but no way im going home.

That's a good point. Unless they are getting treatment that isn't available on the road why can't they be on the bench in street clothes?

Imagine if David Robinson doesnt get hurt in 1997 and the Spurs don't tank to try and get Tim Duncan. Then the ping pong balls fall their way... it's amazing how the luck worked out for them. Tony Parker said he would not have come to America if not for Tim Duncan being on the team.

Sorry...carry on. Random thought that just passed through my head about how fortunate Popovich has been.

That's a good point. Unless they are getting treatment that isn't available on the road why can't they be on the bench in street clothes?

4 games in 5 nights, poor babies. i hope pop arranged to have someone makes their beds for them in the morning too, god forbid tim duncan stubs his toe making his bed and isnt 100% in june.

To me it shows a lack of respect to the integrity of the game, thats what stern has a problem with

I think Stern has a problem with it because the game was on national TV.

I like that in every article they mention how the players were sent home on a commercial flight. I might want to stick around just so I could fly on the team plane. Especially if I'm a 7 footer like Duncan.

Yeah, maybe I'm naive, but it can't be good for the dynamics of the team to cut some guys a break by sending them home while their 8 teammates try to win a ballgame. How do those 8 players feel about not having a full team there?

Also, for those who ripped Roy Williams for pulling his team off the floor in Tallahassee while leaving five walk-ons on the court, isn't this analogous? There's no danger involved in the San Antonio situation for those left behind (though I didn't think that leaving walk-ons on the floor for a court-storming were really in harm's way, either). Each seems to be telling a group of players: "There are guys on this team who I value more than you." Not wild about that; not sure what's to be gained by sending players home early versus just sitting them in Miami.

Imagine if David Robinson doesnt get hurt in 1997 and the Spurs don't tank to try and get Tim Duncan. Then the ping pong balls fall their way... it's amazing how the luck worked out for them. Tony Parker said he would not have come to America if not for Tim Duncan being on the team.

Sorry...carry on. Random thought that just passed through my head about how fortunate Popovich has been.

yup, reminds me of the colts this year. spurs have 1 of the best big men in david robinson, hes hurt for the year, the team tanks on purpose to land the #1 pick in tim duncan, 1 of the greatest big men ever. colts have 1 of the best qbs in manning, hes hurt for the year, the team tanks on purpose and lands the #1 pick in andrew luck, who will probably be 1 of the best qbs ever.

I think Stern has a problem with it because the game was on national TV.

I like that in every article they mention how the players were sent home on a commercial flight. I might want to stick around just so I could fly on the team plane. Especially if I'm a 7 footer like Duncan.

Yeah. The coach knows more about this than you or I, but it doesn't appear that Duncan and crew benefitted by going home early and flying commercial.

Yeah, Pop has been lucky. If he only had the crappy talent Phil Jackson and Red Auerbach had to work with, he'd be lucky to have one title.

What the hell does if matter if they aren't playing on the bench or aren't playing at home a day early?

Look, their teammates and other members of the organization have no problem with this, so none of you have any right to take issue or say it is disrespectful to the other Spurs. If Matt Bonner and Boris Diaw don't feel insulted, drop it. You have no right to say they should or are being insulted.

yup, reminds me of the colts this year. spurs have 1 of the best big men in david robinson, hes hurt for the year, the team tanks on purpose to land the #1 pick in tim duncan, 1 of the greatest big men ever. colts have 1 of the best qbs in manning, hes hurt for the year, the team tanks on purpose and lands the #1 pick in andrew luck, who will probably be 1 of the best qbs ever.

Yeah. I think Pop is a fantastic coach and the Spurs have a great organization and they would have been successful without Duncan, but they don't win four titles without Duncan. And that's nothing more than luck. Everyone knew who the top pick was that year. Robinson just as easily could've gotten hurt the next year and they get Olowakandi. Or in 97 they just don't hit the 21% chance to be #1 and they end up with Keith Van Horn instead.

Yeah, maybe I'm naive, but it can't be good for the dynamics of the team to cut some guys a break by sending them home while their 8 teammates try to win a ballgame. How do those 8 players feel about not having a full team there?

From the quotes I've read, no. But I've only read one from Matt Bonner so that's probably not a good sample, and if Pop has the team in line, which he probably does, they won't say anything anyway. Some of those guys might even have been happy to get some playing time. Nando De Colo got more minutes last night than he had in any 2 games this season. Patty Mills got more minutes than he had all year. Ditto Cory Joseph.

Green is the interesting one, because he's young and not a star. I would assume the rest of the team wouldn't have a problem with the other 3 being given special treatment, particularly Duncan and Manu, figuring they've earned it.

Maybe I am just deferring to Pop too much here, but I feel like if he thought sending the guys home wouldn't be good for chemistry he wouldn't have done it. I think most of the players get that it's a long season and this was a move for that. (or i'm giving them too much credit. But they were probably happy to play)

Yeah, Pop has been lucky. If he only had the crappy talent Phil Jackson and Red Auerbach had to work with, he'd be lucky to have one title.

I'm talking about one particular instance, that shaped the entire last 13 years of the Spurs. Popovich admits he was very lucky.

What the hell does if matter if they aren't playing on the bench or aren't playing at home a day early?

Look, their teammates and other members of the organization have no problem with this, so none of you have any right to take issue or say it is disrespectful to the other Spurs. If Matt Bonner and Boris Diaw don't feel insulted, drop it. You have no right to say they should or are being insulted.

please, you think matt bonner is gonna say "i dont agree with this, tim and manu and pop owe me an apology." nobody on the spurs is gonna take issue with it publicly, theyre all gonna say the right things. sending 4 of your best players home at the end of a road trip because theyre tired or because you wanna rest them is bs and bad for the game. as an nba fan i take issue with it, they are basketball players getting paid a stuffload of money to play basketball and be part of a team, they should be at every game unless theyre hurt or have a personal issue. is that too much to ask? if every coach did this there would be alot of problems. "im sending kobe and dwight howard home for tonite's game, they cant play back to back games anymore." "lebron and dwade are back at the hotel, 3 games in 4 nights is too much." "kg and pierce are taking this road trip off, they need all their energy for the playoffs." would you be fine with that? yea its within the rules but its complete bs, where does it end?

Yea some baseball managers rest guys a day game after a night game or something like that, but theyre not sent home. Theyre still with the team, theyre still in uniform on the bench, theyre still participating in batting practice, theyre still supporting and high fiving their teammates.

That's not always true. When players get hurt, pitchers especially, they're sometimes sent home ahead of the team. And like I said before, injured players aren't required to sit/travel with the team. Going back to the Cardinals, Lance Berkman wasn't around while he was hurt (which was most of the season). Rafael Furcal was with the team during the playoffs, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't during the season. Same thing with Adam Wainwright last year. In fact, I don't think Chris Carpenter was around while he was hurt and he's like having an extra pitching coach.

please, you think matt bonner is gonna say "i dont agree with this, tim and manu and pop owe me an apology." nobody on the spurs is gonna take issue with it publicly, theyre all gonna say the right things. sending 4 of your best players home at the end of a road trip because theyre tired or because you wanna rest them is bs and bad for the game. as an nba fan i take issue with it, they are basketball players getting paid a stuffload of money to play basketball and be part of a team, they should be at every game unless theyre hurt or have a personal issue. is that too much to ask? if every coach did this there would be alot of problems. "im sending kobe and dwight howard home for tonite's game, they cant play back to back games anymore." "lebron and dwade are back at the hotel, 3 games in 4 nights is too much." "kg and pierce are taking this road trip off, they need all their energy for the playoffs." would you be fine with that? yea its within the rules but its complete bs, where does it end?

I don't think anyone has an issue with this other than people like you and albany, and anyone with a sports radio show that doesn't have anything else to talk about. Oh yeah, and the almighty David Stern, who didn't say anything when Pop did this for non-televised games.

That's not always true. When players get hurt, pitchers especially, they're sometimes sent home ahead of the team. And like I said before, injured players aren't required to sit/travel with the team. Going back to the Cardinals, Lance Berkman wasn't around while he was hurt (which was most of the season). Rafael Furcal was with the team during the playoffs, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't during the season. Same thing with Adam Wainwright last year. In fact, I don't think Chris Carpenter was around while he was hurt and he's like having an extra pitching coach.

injuries are different, if youre healthy you should be with the team for every game unless you have personal issues. sending completely healthy players home and missing a game because theyre freaking tired is absurd to me.

injuries are different, if youre healthy you should be with the team for every game unless you have personal issues. sending completely healthy players home and missing a game because theyre freaking tired is absurd to me.

What's the difference? Either way, you're not playing.

This wasn't the players' decision, it was the coach's decision.

You guys are drawing so many lines - lines all over the place - we should start playing tic-tac-toe.

Some people thinking winning championships is the main goal. Some people think pointlessly having guys sit on a bench is the main goal in the NBA, screw trying to set yourself up to win championships. You're in the latter group...I'm cool with that.

Is the problem that they weren't there or that they didn't play?

I hope JB sits MCW and Triche tonight. I heard they were both shooting for 3 hours yesterday.

Has anyone considered the confidence these bench players now have after going toe-to-toe with the defending champs last night? I know that wasn't the primary objective, but this will only help if and when someone goes down with an injury or gets into foul trouble. We've said the same thing about our own players, whether it was last season with Fab Melo or in previous years with Devendorf, Edelin, Burgan, etc.

Stern just fined Spurs $250,000

Stern just fined Spurs $250,000
I hope like hell that Duncan, Manu, Tony, and Green pay that fine for the Spurs, if it gets paid at all, in support of their coach.

Of course, the Spurs should ABSOLUTELY fight this. It's freaking absurd.

I hope like hell that Duncan, Manu, Tony, and Green pay that fine for the Spurs, if it gets paid at all, in support of their coach.

Of course, the Spurs should ABSOLUTELY fight this. It's freaking absurd.

ing ridiculous. Stern's deal that the media/fans werem't alerts until last second is such BS. Players sit out last second ALL THE TIME for "injuries" in the NBA. Literally happens every day. Kevin Love is "sick" tonight and might not play against Milwaukee.

OMG the fine people of Milwaukee won't be able to see Rubio OR Love OR Kirelinko. Not fair. Fine the Wolves a million dollars.

Also this gem: "The NBA announced Friday that the San Antonio Spurs organization has been fined $250,000 for its decision to send four players home prior to the Spurs' Nov. 29 game in Miami. The Spurs' actions were in violation of a league policy, reviewed with the NBA Board of Governors in April 2010, against resting players in a manner contrary to the best interests of the NBA."

Then I better not see ANY STAR PLAYER sit out a game..at all. Ever. Not at end of the season. It's in the NBA's best interests to have full arena on day 82. Period. So...there you go. New Rule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom