OT: Favorite TV cartoons as a kid | Syracusefan.com

OT: Favorite TV cartoons as a kid

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
It was a lot different growing up as a kid in the 60's/70's than nowadays. Not even sure if they still have cartoons on, but that was a staple back then coming home afterschool to watch cartoons and hunkering down on Saturday mornings. Can't remember all of them, but here are some I remember watching.

Jonny Quest
Wacky races featuring the Gruesome Twosome and Penelope Pitstop
Top Cat
Atom Ant/Mighty Mouse-not sure if they were the same
Underdog
Magilla Gorilla
Flintstones/Jetsons-same show different era
Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids
Pink Panther
Road Runner

Jonny Quest
Bugs Bunny - too clever for just kids
Top Cat - not sure why, but I loved this

Atom Ant and Might Mouse were definitely not the same.

Jonny Quest was absolutely awesome. I used to have a ton of old VHS tapes. A very well put together series (I'm one of the younger posters here, but I'm guessing this show was around for a much longer time than I've been alive).

My favorite was the komodo dragon episode.

GiJoe_TV-Title1985.jpg

He-Man_Cover.jpg

transformers.jpg

ducktales.1363971225.jpg

gummi_bears-show.jpg

[

It was a lot different growing up as a kid in the 60's/70's than nowadays. Not even sure if they still have cartoons on, but that was a staple back then coming home afterschool to watch cartoons and hunkering down on Saturday mornings. Can't remember all of them, but here are some I remember watching.

Jonny Quest
Wacky races featuring the Gruesome Twosome and Penelope Pitstop
Top Cat
Atom Ant/Mighty Mouse-not sure if they were the same
Underdog
Magilla Gorilla
Flintstones/Jetsons-same show different era
Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids
Pink Panther
Road Runner
Watched all those.

Also Rocky and Bullwinkle Show (my personal favorite). Besides R & B, that show featured Dudley-Do-Right, Peabody's Improbable History and Fractured Fairy Tales. Great voices, William Conrad was an awesome narrator for R & B and Edward Everett Horton was terrific as the narrator of Fractured Fairy Tales. Still very watchable even today.

And the already mentioned Bugs Bunny, Tom and Jerry and Road Runner/Wile E. Coyote.

In his book Chuck Amuck: The Life and Times Of An Animated Cartoonist,[13] Chuck Jones claimed that he and the artists behind the Road Runner and Wile E. cartoons adhered to some simple but strict rules:
  1. The Road Runner cannot harm the Coyote except by going "beep, beep."
  2. No outside force can harm the Coyote — only his own ineptitude or the failure of Acme products. Trains and trucks were the exception from time to time.
  3. The Coyote could stop anytime — if he were not a fanatic. (Repeat: "A fanatic is one who redoubles his effort when he has forgotten his aim." — George Santayana).
  4. Dialogue must never be used, except "beep, beep" and yowling in pain. (This rule, however, was violated in some cartoons.)
  5. The Road Runner must stay on the road — for no other reason than that he's a roadrunner. This rule was broken in Beep, Beep, in a sequence where Wile E. chased the Road Runner into a cactus mine. And also in Fastest with the Mostest when Coyote lures Road Runner to the edge of a cliff.
  6. All action must be confined to the natural environment of the two characters — the southwest American desert.
  7. All (or at least almost all) tools, weapons, or mechanical conveniences must be obtained from the Acme Corporation. There were sometimes exceptions when the Coyote obtained other items from the desert such as boulders to use in his attempts.
  8. Whenever possible, make gravity the Coyote's greatest enemy (e.g., falling off a cliff).
  9. The Coyote is always more humiliated than harmed by his failures.
  10. The audience's sympathy must remain with the Coyote.
  11. The Coyote is not allowed to catch or eat the Road Runner, unless he escapes from the grasp. (The robot that the Coyote created in The Solid Tin Coyote caught the Road Runner so this does not break this rule. The Coyote does catch the Road Runner in Soup or Sonic but is too small to eat him. There is also two CGI shorts on The Looney Tunes Show were he caught the bird, but was not able to eat him because the Road Runner got away in both shorts.)

TMNT
Ducktails
chip and dale rescue rangers
Animaniacs
that one where blue the bear flew a cargo plane
inspector gadget
ghostbusters

Then I got reintroduced to cartoons because of my little brother and ended up liking :
doug
Roccos modern life
Rugrats
Spongebob

oldpinepoint nailed it for me.

I guess the only ones I can think of to add are Dungeons & Dragons and Thundercats.

Born in 88 so my list goes like this.

First off, how has no one said Scooby Doo?? All time favorite cartoon. I still watch it.
Johnny quest
Paw paw bears. > This was the Cartoon Network.
Smurfs
Swat cats
Looney toons
Yogi

The Nickeloden shows were -
Rugrats
Doug "Banging on a trash can" Funnie
Catdog
Hey Arnold
Angry beavers

Pokemon counts.

I can't think of any else right now. But a couple shows that weren't cartoons but were on Nick, legends of the hidden temple, Wild and Crazy kids (Loved this show, always wanted to be a contestant), Are you afraid of the dark, and there
Was another with a course and they had to climb a mountain and the name was something like global something...

Born in 88 so my list goes like this.

First off, how has no one said Scooby Doo?? All time favorite cartoon. I still watch it.
Johnny quest
Paw paw bears. > This was the Cartoon Network.
Smurfs
Swat cats
Looney toons
Yogi

The Nickeloden shows were -
Rugrats
Doug "Banging on a trash can" Funnie
Catdog
Hey Arnold
Angry beavers

Pokemon counts.

I can't think of any else right now. But a couple shows that weren't cartoons but were on Nick, legends of the hidden temple, Wild and Crazy kids (Loved this show, always wanted to be a contestant), Are you afraid of the dark, and there
Was another with a course and they had to climb a mountain and the name was something like global something...
If you watched powder puff girls you may be my little brother.

Wow, I must be old. To me, Popeye was the best, followed by Mighty Mouse and the old Looney Tunes.

Also Rocky and Bullwinkle Show (my personal favorite). Besides R & B, that show featured Dudley-Do-Right, Peabody's Improbable History and Fractured Fairy Tales.
Totally whiffed on R&B. Mr. Peabody and the Wayback Machine was good too. I loved Fractured fairy tales.

oldpinepoint nailed it for me.

I guess the only ones I can think of to add are Dungeons & Dragons and Thundercats.
Yeah, the Thunder Cats, loved that cartoon. And anybody ever watch the Herculoids? Sorry if already mentioned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom