OT: Favorite TV cartoons as a kid | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Favorite TV cartoons as a kid

Also, you guys should check out Amazon. You can buy a lot of these on DVD for cheap. I've been accumulating them little by little.

Lancelot Link, Secret Chimp wasn't technically a 'cartoon,' but it was close enough. I remember Saturday mornings cleaning up the detritus from yet another Friday night's debauchery at the "Animal Shelter" in the early 70's with this on ...

Lots of good stuff covered here. But the Looney Tunes still reign supreme in my memory banks. Kill the Wabbit! Rabbit of Seville. Bugs tricking the mobsters. The list goes on and on.

This may be an outlier, because it's gotten no love thus far, but what about Star Blazers? It was Americanized from an early Japanese series about the Space Battleship Yamato. Great save-the-Earth quest storyline.
Looney Tunes is the king. My favorite was called (I believe) Hunting Season where Bugs makes Elmer Fudd the hunter, trying to find a Wabbit, believe that Daffy Duck is really who he should shoot.

This thread is crazy! Pretty sure I can't keep up with the tees.
Tom and Jerry
Looney Tunes
Pink Panther
GI Joe
Superfriends
SpiderMan, especially that Nightcrawler made an appearance once.
Voltron

Froggy went a courtin'. He sure did.
Crambone.

I've always believed that MASK would absolutely do well as a reboot, and could even work as a movie.

In 1st grade my friend Perry got me the tiger helicopter for my birthday. No lie, I still count it as one of the best gifts I've ever been given.

MASK had the greatest toys ever. I knew one kid who had every single one, and I wanted to punch him in the face out of sheer jealousy.

My list:

He-Man
Duck Tales
Transformers
MASK
Darkwing Duck
TMNT
The Batman animated series (which, I would argue, is the greatest animated series of all-time. OF ALL-TIME!)
X-Men

Also, while not cartoons but valuable contributions of Nickelodeon to children's entertainment:
You Can't Do That on Television
Roundhouse
Hey Dude
Salute Your Shorts (a part of my heart will always belong to Dina Alexander)

Edit - Also in the, ahem, live action category:
Ghostwriter (word)

No Saved by the Bell!?!?

(I won't criticize you for the lack of California Dreams)

No Saved by the Bell!?!?

(I won't criticize you for the lack of California Dreams)

Saved By the Bell is bitter sweet for me. Obviously it's the stuff of legends. However... my sister just would not stop watching it.
JESSIE-SPANO-CAFFEINE.jpg

Transformers and TMNT were definitely my two favorite of the list I provided. Looney Tunes a very close 2nd more like 1A. I have to admit I was stoked when they announced the first transformers movie.. so much I went back home to my folks attic and dug out the old transformer toys to make sure I had some collectibles still..lol

Rocky and Bullwinkle, without a doubt. Always throwing stuff in for the grown-ups. Remember No Bikini Atoll?

Finally, watching TV with my kids, loved Rocco's Modern Life, Animaniacs, and especially Pinky & the Brain.

Saturday morning:
Alvin and the Chipmunks
Gummi Bears
Muppet Babies
Captain N the Gamemaster

After school
Transformers
He Man
Ducktales
MASK
GI Joe
This is the winner winner chicken dinner for anybody born between 1978 and 1984. All that was missing was Super Mario Bros. w/Cap Lou and Friday Legend of Zelda.

Here are a couple more that I haven't seen that were quintessential when I was a kid.
Thundarr_Title_1.jpg
Thundarr the Barbarian

70c0b18d.jpg
Justice League v. Legion of Doom (aka - Challenge of the Superfriends)

MASK had the greatest toys ever. I knew one kid who had every single one, and I wanted to punch him in the face out of sheer jealousy.

So, the 80s was kind of an interesting time for kid's entertainment, because people realized that if you got a following, merch and money would follow. I have some friends that were disgusted when they realized that the whole reason why a show like Transformers existed was to sell cheap plastic toys, but I think they've got it all wrong. I appreciate that the creators of those shows realized tiny grotto would think the show was awesome, and that having toys associated with the show would be even more awesome, making for an awesomer childhood overall.

1.) LooneyTunes: "Fearless Freep! That's my man!" "I know - I say I just know that marble headed mongrel's at the bottom of all this ...", Spike and Chester "Wanna chase a cat, Spike?" and of course ...

Blacque.jpg

2.) Rocky & Bullwinkle ("Hush-a-Boom," Gidney and Cloyd, the Giant 6 Foot Metal Munching Mice) were my favorites. Dudley Dooright was another spinoff.

222269.jpg

The rest, like the Flintstones and the Hanna-Barbera cartoons, I think I just watched because they were on.

Anyone remember Speed Racer?

Yes I remember Speed Racer with his Mach 5!
Speed Racer and Johnny Quest were my 2 favorites.

This is the winner winner chicken dinner for anybody born between 1978 and 1984. All that was missing was Super Mario Bros. w/Cap Lou and Friday Legend of Zelda.

And Hulk Hogan's Rock n Wrestling!

this is one of my favorite threads ever. And you can definitely get an idea for how old everyone is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom