OT: How many people here golf? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: How many people here golf?

I'm jealous. There is no way that if this is held that it would not be in Syracuse, although I'd vote for the middle of the Country. I'd guess that a large percentage of posters are golfers.

When it comes time for Maui, the golfers should plan on bringing clubs. There are lots of courses including one that was redesigned to make it user friendly. Lengths are unchanged but most hazards (trees, traps and ponds) were removed. Great ego booster, in case we don't win the tourney. The Islands can be windy.

Depending on when you did the tournament I may be interested to play. Also, for a location I am sure Drumlins would be probably be one of the best places to start looking at. The East course is free for SU students and I have only played the West course a couple of times. I obviously have no say, but I would consider playing in a golf tournament. I am sure we would do teams and captain's choice so my 10-12 handicap wouldn't kill my team if I played.

Depending on when you did the tournament I may be interested to play. Also, for a location I am sure Drumlins would be probably be one of the best places to start looking at. The East course is free for SU students and I have only played the West course a couple of times. I obviously have no say, but I would consider playing in a golf tournament. I am sure we would do teams and captain's choice so my 10-12 handicap wouldn't kill my team if I played.
LOL you think a 10-12 is going to kill a scramble team of Syracusefan.com folks? Come up to the higher levels where some of us live!

I think this board should do a golf tournament this summer with proceeds going to the Jim and Julie Foundation. That or abused children?
Or have the proceeds go to the Nerlens Noel to SU fund

I'll play if its syracuse. I haven't met too many of the board members. Love to play

As long as we can make custom polo shirts with our board names on them then have a long drive competition into traffic.

I'm just a lurker on this board but if this happens I would fly back to Cuse to play.

Love Golf. Not very good. Like a lot of people, i look good for nine...but it seems no matter what by the time 18 are done i'm mid low 90's for the millionth time it seems.:bang:

I have ran about 6 charitable golf tourneys. Would be happy to lend a hand. Keep me posted.

I just started golfing in September. The school I work for has it's own course, so I golf once a week. I'm addicted to the sport now. I started shooting in the high 120s, am down to the 100-105 range. Hoping to continue getting better. I would definitely travel from NC up for a tournament like this!

Nice idea. Tomcat is very good at organizing golf events in the Syracuse area. I think you should invite him to get involved if you move forward with this. If it gets large enough, I may be able to get someone from SU basketball to make an appearance.
I would be happy to help organize the event.

Some initial thoughts...

1) We will have the biggest turnout playing in CNY so it should be played there.

2) I think we should try and get a good course that is well maintained and has an interesting layout for those that appreciate these things. The biggest key is whether they will offer a reduced rate given that this will be a charitable outing.

3) We need to figure out a date for the event. In the past, we have tried to coordinate it with the syracusefan.com tailgate, so we have more people in town than normal and people can do more in CNY than just play a round of golf with other board members.

The board tailgate this year is scheduled for Saturday September 1st (Northwestern). We could have the golf event the Friday before the game or the Sunday after the game. Or maybe even on Saturday if it turns out this is a night game. I have no idea when the starting time for the Northwestern game will be announced. But home games early in the season rarely are played in the afternoon, so I would think it is likely that game will end up being a night game. The other advantage of this date is that visitors could also attend the NY State Fair during as part of their visit here. The big downside is that it is a holiday weekend and some might already have other plans.

Some other dates to consider:

The spring football game is Saturday April 21st.

The Coaches vs Cancer Basketball is April 28th.

Or we could just pick a Saturday sometime in the summer that a lot of people could be in town for.

For those that are interesting in participating in a tournament like this, when could you attend?

Great idea with a great cause. I'd absolutely be in, with just a couple dates I can't make.

If you must argue about what genre golf falls under, please do it in another thread and let this one perform its intended function.

I'm all in ... depending on $$$ and what the Doc says today

Or we could just pick a Saturday sometime in the summer that a lot of people could be in town for.

For those that are interesting in participating in a tournament like this, when could you attend?

Will a course give up weekend tee times during the summer for an outing or would it have to be on a Friday or possibly in the fall. I know I have played in some league outings on the weekends but usually it's only 20 guys and we couldn't book anything before 10 am or so.

Since this is for a charity, it would hopefully draw a lot more than 20 guys and I guess it would depend on the course.

I think if we had enough people a course woukd shut it down after 12. We could probably get a shotgun at 1. Of the area golf courses that are public I would recommend timber banks.

Some initial thoughts...

1) We will have the biggest turnout playing in CNY so it should be played there.

2) I think we should try and get a good course that is well maintained and has an interesting layout for those that appreciate these things. The biggest key is whether they will offer a reduced rate given that this will be a charitable outing.

3) We need to figure out a date for the event. In the past, we have tried to coordinate it with the syracusefan.com tailgate, so we have more people in town than normal and people can do more in CNY than just play a round of golf with other board members.

The board tailgate this year is scheduled for Saturday September 1st (Northwestern). We could have the golf event the Friday before the game or the Sunday after the game. Or maybe even on Saturday if it turns out this is a night game. I have no idea when the starting time for the Northwestern game will be announced. But home games early in the season rarely are played in the afternoon, so I would think it is likely that game will end up being a night game. The other advantage of this date is that visitors could also attend the NY State Fair during as part of their visit here. The big downside is that it is a holiday weekend and some might already have other plans.

Some other dates to consider:

The spring football game is Saturday April 21st.

The Coaches vs Cancer Basketball is April 28th.

Just sent you and edowd26 a message about this.

We used to hold our tournament at The Links at Sunset Ridge. I know that they do Saturday tournaments there. Nice course and they always treated our group well.

Will a course give up weekend tee times during the summer for an outing or would it have to be on a Friday or possibly in the fall. I know I have played in some league outings on the weekends but usually it's only 20 guys and we couldn't book anything before 10 am or so.

Since this is for a charity, it would hopefully draw a lot more than 20 guys and I guess it would depend on the course.
I have been a tournament director for about 20 tournaments. My experience is that most courses already have their courses booked for most weekends this summer already. A lot of tournaments lock in on a course and a weekend date and just renew it from year to year. Those that do not typically booked their date for 2012 sometime in the late summer of 2011.

So course availability is definitely a problem if we opt for a weekend date during the summer. Getting a course for Labor Day weekend at this relatively late date will be problematic. But there are a lot of courses in the area and it always helps when you are running a tournament to benefit a great cause.

Agreeing on a date is the hardest thing to do. No matter what date we choose, some will not be able to make it and our choice of courses will be limited. We might have to go to an outlying area (like McConnellsville or Seneca Falls).

I will start contacting courses today and compile a list of possible dates. I hope to have that available by the end of this week.

If I am in town, I would love to play, it's been sveral years since I showed STO and DCUSE how to play the game :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom