OT: How many people here golf? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT: How many people here golf?

After a round of golf I say we have a friendly game of dodgeball

One of my "rules" that must be met to be considered a sport is that you can not be in a sitting position while participating. That rules out NASCAR and poker. They should be referred to as "entertainment", same as going to a movie.
bike-racing.jpg

rowing_womensquadsculls.jpg

secretariat-racing1.jpg

Secretariat in the Belmont? Very nice.

And yes, jockeys are among the finest athletes on the planet.

I'd say golf is the most difficult sport in the world. Yes, it's a sport. Absolutely, 100%. To compare it to darts is, quite frankly, absurd. I've played just about every sport, and none is more difficult or requires the precision of golf.

Ok, end tangent. I wish I was in CNY so I could participate. I don't get to play much anymore, but every time you play golf and hit a couple good shots...man, no feeling like that. My 7 iron is my best friend.
I would disagree that golf is the most difficult sport to play, I can play. For me swimming is the most difficult sport, I'm a sinker, the harder I try, the faster I go to the bottom. I may be the only person ever to nearly drown in a Red Cross learn to swim class. Getting back to golf I would qualify my statement by saying it is a difficult sport to break par in.

This is a joke, right?

No, not a joke at all. But your reaction is pretty common among people unfamiliar with the sport.

This is a joke, right?
jockeys are phenomenal athletes in peak physical shape. I wonder, have you ever ridden a horse at full gallop? I have, and it is exhausting. I can't imagine trying to hold a gallop for a mile or more, surrounded by a half dozen or more tightly packed in a thundering herd.

jockeys are phenomenal athletes in peak physical shape. I wonder, have you ever ridden a horse at full gallop? I have, and it is exhausting. I can't imagine trying to hold a gallop for a mile or more, surrounded by a half dozen or more tightly packed in a thundering herd.
Can't be harder than riding a bull. Don't jockeys weigh about 100 pounds?

enlighten us
You can easily "enlighten" yourself using the Internet. My intention was not to hijack this thread with this debate. We can start a thread on the Sports board if you'd like.

Can't be harder than riding a bull. Don't jockeys weigh about 100 pounds?

you ride a bull for 7 seconds

don't know what weight hast to do with it - is a bantam or fly weight boxer any less of an athlete because of his size? jockey weight varies, usually less than 120. A thoroughbred weighs over 1000 pounds, some well over 1000 pounds, so you are basically trying to use your core to control an animal 10x your body weight

You can easily "enlighten" yourself using the Internet. My intention was not to hijack this thread with this debate. We can start a thread on the Sports board if you'd like.
you ride a bull for 7 seconds

don't know what weight hast to do with it - is a bantam or fly weight boxer any less of an athlete because of his size? jockey weight varies, usually less than 120. A thoroughbred weighs over 1000 pounds, some well over 1000 pounds, so you are basically trying to use your core to control an animal 10x your body weight
I'd enjoy a civil conversation on the other sports board... see you there! (And anyone else with opinions on whether jockeys are amongst the greatest athletes in the world)

I think this board should do a golf tournament this summer with proceeds going to the Jim and Julie Foundation. That or abused children?

or the Palm Beach Golf & Tennis Resort.

joe-124.jpg

I'm in. Avid golfer and for a great cause. But please don't pick Sunset Ridge, not a fun venue. Left there after first year as a member.

I would be happy to help organize the event.

Some initial thoughts...

1) We will have the biggest turnout playing in CNY so it should be played there.

2) I think we should try and get a good course that is well maintained and has an interesting layout for those that appreciate these things. The biggest key is whether they will offer a reduced rate given that this will be a charitable outing.

3) We need to figure out a date for the event. In the past, we have tried to coordinate it with the syracusefan.com tailgate, so we have more people in town than normal and people can do more in CNY than just play a round of golf with other board members.

The board tailgate this year is scheduled for Saturday September 1st (Northwestern). We could have the golf event the Friday before the game or the Sunday after the game. Or maybe even on Saturday if it turns out this is a night game. I have no idea when the starting time for the Northwestern game will be announced. But home games early in the season rarely are played in the afternoon, so I would think it is likely that game will end up being a night game. The other advantage of this date is that visitors could also attend the NY State Fair during as part of their visit here. The big downside is that it is a holiday weekend and some might already have other plans.

Some other dates to consider:

The spring football game is Saturday April 21st.

The Coaches vs Cancer Basketball is April 28th.

Or we could just pick a Saturday sometime in the summer that a lot of people could be in town for.

For those that are interesting in participating in a tournament like this, when could you attend?

I would be in if provided with a week or so notice

that was a great time. jake, igor, gosu and myself. the best foursome that couldn't win jacksheet. miss the bocadoug-stan battles too. epic.

That was a great time. Also, the last time I played golf, August 2002, with Cherie and family. But that doesn't mean I could not dust off the clubs for a good cause again. But I would have to be in the Choop foursome.

I'm in. Avid golfer and for a great cause. But please don't pick Sunset Ridge, not a fun venue. Left there after first year as a member.

I heard Sunset Ridge's clubhouse had a fire, and they're operating out of a trailer right now while it is being rebuilt.

I think if we had enough people a course woukd shut it down after 12. We could probably get a shotgun at 1. Of the area golf courses that are public I would recommend timber banks.

I've never played Timber Banks, but I've heard good things. Thought about renting an apartment out there when it first opened.

I heard Sunset Ridge's clubhouse had a fire, and they're operating out of a trailer right now while it is being rebuilt.

Not a fire. They had serious water damage and it basically destroyed much of teh clubhouse. Complete disaster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom