Class of 2020 - OT James Pogorelc (VA) Offered | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 OT James Pogorelc (VA) Offered

In that case Pogorelc won't be helping next year either. Any good HS tackle can likely find the field early but it won't be next year.

Yeah I mean they have to take a redshirt year. It's extremely rare to get a HS tackle who can be effective without a redshirt year, and if there is one, he's going to the SEC or OSU or ND, etc.

We need to build the pipeline but we need immediate help as well.

Pretty sure Ilaoa is going to play OG, or maybe C. He is a little too small to play at OT. Barclay looks like a fine prospect. I like him a lot. But he is around 250 pounds. That is why he hasn't gotten a lot of P5 offers. It is likely going to take him a while to build his body up to where he can play against P5 opposition.

Pogo isn't ready to play right away either. He is apparently around 270 right now. All things being equal, that probably gives him a year or two head start on Garth though.

The bottom line is, Syracuse needs OTs about as badly as any P5 team in the country. I don't think UVa is in nearly as much of a bind there as we are.

Pretty sure playing time will be easier to come by in Syracuse.

Addendum:

If Garth continues to add 4 pounds a month, he will be where he needs to be in about a year. That would be pretty awesome.

You are very well-respected poster, sutomcat.

So I pose the question (which may not belong here but is relevant): Why is our offensive line so inept? Is it the recruiting? Development? Injuries? Cupboard being left completely bare?

I am at a loss for the current state of affairs and really need to understand why this has happened in such a quick timeframe. It is mind boggling.

Looking at their depth chart, they have a junior, two sophomores and a freshman at the OT spots.

It would be a lot easier for him to play early at Syracuse, where help at OT is desperately needed.
We all need to help HCDB recruit this kid. As I said earlier he would be our best T from day one looking at what we have

So I pose the question (which may not belong here but is relevant): Why is our offensive line so inept? Is it the recruiting? Development? Injuries? Cupboard being left completely bare?

I am at a loss for the current state of affairs and really need to understand why this has happened in such a quick timeframe. It is mind boggling.
RECRUITING!!!! I had a pretty big argument with some folks on here regarding our O-line recruiting for about a year. I said something rather controversial.
** I said we are recruiting MAC type O-ineman**
Consider this. There are 64 Power 5 teams. If you look at the O-line recruits under HCDB, how many have had offers from just the bottom 10% of P5 teams????????? That would be 6 teams. I can answer it for you BUT it is eye opening when you see it for yourself. How many HCDB o-line recruits and commits have had 6 P5 offers???? Once you get the answer look at the other P5 teams O-line recruits.

Every single team in the ACC has signed atleast 1 O-lineman with 6 P5 offers during HCDB time at Syracuse. This has translated to us being literally the worst P5 o-line

Pogo has offers from currently 25% of the P5. So from the"offer" perspective he would be HCDB best recruit ever (most P5) offers. More importantly this kid is better than what we currently have as a option at RT from day 1. He would be a 4 year starter and is similar to Justin Pugh if you look at him. We need this kid!!!

RECRUITING!!!! I had a pretty big argument with some folks on here regarding our O-line recruiting for about a year. I said something rather controversial.
** I said we are recruiting MAC type O-ineman**
Consider this. There are 64 Power 5 teams. If you look at the O-line recruits under HCDB, how many have had offers from just the bottom 10% of P5 teams????????? That would be 6 teams. I can answer it for you BUT it is eye opening when you see it for yourself. How many HCDB o-line recruits and commits have had 6 P5 offers???? Once you get the answer look at the other P5 teams O-line recruits.

Every single team in the ACC has signed atleast 1 O-lineman with 6 P5 offers during HCDB time at Syracuse. This has translated to us being literally the worst P5 o-line

Pogo has offers from currently 25% of the P5. So from the"offer" perspective he would be HCDB best recruit ever (most P5) offers. More importantly this kid is better than what we currently have as a option at RT from day 1. He would be a 4 year starter and is similar to Justin Pugh if you look at him. We need this kid!!!
Yeah but he didn't come to our camp...lol kidding...

Yeah but he didn't come to our camp...lol kidding...
In all honesty that might be problem. just look at all the 1 and 2 star guys with zero P5 offers that come to our camps and get their only P5 offer. We obviously have a problem we have to find a solution. Pogo is part of the solution.

My best guess is that Dino feels that if he recruits the size of lineman he wants he'll develop him into a linemen that can contribute by the time he is a redshirt soph/junior unless he gets one extremely talented. This also means he better have an OL coach that can really teach/develop the position as well. Curious on how much depth can be done by doing this.

Another point as many have wrote, Dino hasn't been in a place long enough to do this type of development to see if it works so it'll be interesting to see if he can pull this off getting 1/2 maybe 3 star HS OL's over the long haul.

First off, I don't think this is all on the OL.

They are certainly part of the problem, but I think the loss of Strickland really hurt us. He did a great job calling out blocking assignments and was by far our best RB picking up blitzes. Our RBs this year are really struggling to effectively block anyone. I see a lot of confusion out there on passing plays, from the RBs and the OL too.

Part of it is the opposition. We have been matched up against some teams that are really good at pass rushing.

Part of it is injuries. Sam Heckel was by far the best center on the roster and when he got hurt, we got a big downgrade there moving Servais to fill in. And then we took a double hit because Servais was by far our best OT. Duerig got hurt early too. Had he stayed healthy, he might have been able to fill in at center so we could have left Servais at OT.

Gabe Horan was, in my mind, going to be one of our best OTs in a long while. Losing him was a big loss for this year and beyond. Liam O'Sullivan should be a junior this year. He could have been a good player. Sam Clausman should be a senior. Colin Byrne should be a senior. It is a shame he wasn't around for his final year of eligibility; he might have finally returned to a starting role at center again.

Part of it is our WRs, who I think are generally small, not super fast, not very strong and not very physical. I think our scheme remains very good but we need big, physical WRs who can get open, win 50-50 balls against tight coverage and block.

Part of it is with our QB, who is not experienced, has had to face extreme duress most of the season and I think has been affected by the constant pressure he faces from defenses. He is definitely missing some open receivers. He has been extremely relucant to run, even when defenses have been clearly ignoring him as a threat to run. When you establish yourself as a running threat on passing plays, it opens things up for the passing game. We saw that all the time with Eric was here and we saw it when Clayton came in last week. TD's habit of stepping back a step or two to buy time just as he should be delivering the ball is also not a good thing.

Part of it is our offense. We don't have effective responses when we get blitzed, even against all out blitzes. There needs to be a hot route on all passing plays and we need to get better using it. It is not good teams continue to blitz us relentlessly and we have no answer.

And yes, we haven't done great recruiting OL, especially tackles. We aren't getting the numbers we need and there is too much attrition at this position.

When Dino was hired, I expected to see us become much more successful recruiting players for his dynamic offensive scheme, and struggle to get players to sign up to play on the defensive side of the ball, where his teams had not been as successful.

That never happened. In fact, the opposite happened. We have had very good success recruiting on the defensive side of the ball and only decent success recruiting players for the SU offense.

I remain kind of mystified as to why this is the case. I think at least part of this is because our best recruiters are on the defensive side of the ball.

I think you can question development as well. I don't see our OL getting measurably better any longer from year to year. Take last off season.

How did Adams, who desperately needs to lose 30 pounds, not lose any weight and how did Servais, who has had trouble getting overpowered for years, lose 25 pounds? It seems to me that the guys I keep seeing setting records lifting weights, getting bigger and stronger, always seem to be on the defensive side of the ball.

Anyway, to summarize, I think the scheme is fine. The play calling might need tweaking and we appear to be missing some key components needed to run this offense successfully, but IMHO, we aren't far away from being solid on offense.

They are certainly part of the problem, but I think the loss of Strickland really hurt us. He did a great job calling out blocking assignments and was by far our best RB picking up blitzes. Our RBs this year are really struggling to effectively block anyone. I see a lot of confusion out there on passing plays, from the RBs and the OL too.

Part of it is the opposition. We have been matched up against some teams that are really good at pass rushing.

Part of it is injuries. Sam Heckel was by far the best center on the roster and when he got hurt, we got a big downgrade there moving Servais to fill in. And then we took a double hit because Servais was by far our best OT. Duerig got hurt early too. Had he stayed healthy, he might have been able to fill in at center so we could have left Servais at OT.

Gabe Horan was, in my mind, going to be one of our best OTs in a long while. Losing him was a big loss for this year and beyond. Liam O'Sullivan should be a junior this year. He could have been a good player. Sam Clausman should be a senior. Colin Byrne should be a senior. It is a shame he wasn't around for his final year of eligibility; he might have finally returned to a starting role at center again.

Part of it is our WRs, who I think are generally small, not super fast, not very strong and not very physical. I think our scheme remains very good but we need big, physical WRs who can get open, win 50-50 balls against tight coverage and block.

Part of it is with our QB, who is not experienced, has had to face extreme duress most of the season and I think has been affected by the constant pressure he faces from defenses. He is definitely missing some open receivers. He has been extremely relucant to run, even when defenses have been clearly ignoring him as a threat to run. When you establish yourself as a running threat on passing plays, it opens things up for the passing game. We saw that all the time with Eric was here and we saw it when Clayton came in last week. TD's habit of stepping back a step or two to buy time just as he should be delivering the ball is also not a good thing.

Part of it is our offense. We don't have effective responses when we get blitzed, even against all out blitzes. There needs to be a hot route on all passing plays and we need to get better using it. It is not good teams continue to blitz us relentlessly and we have no answer.

And yes, we haven't done great recruiting OL, especially tackles. We aren't getting the numbers we need and there is too much attrition at this position.

When Dino was hired, I expected to see us become much more successful recruiting players for his dynamic offensive scheme, and struggle to get players to sign up to play on the defensive side of the ball, where his teams had not been as successful.

That never happened. In fact, the opposite happened. We have had very good success recruiting on the defensive side of the ball and only decent success recruiting players for the SU offense.

I remain kind of mystified as to why this is the case. I think at least part of this is because our best recruiters are on the defensive side of the ball.

I think you can question development as well. I don't see our OL getting measurably better any longer from year to year. Take last off season.

How did Adams, who desperately needs to lose 30 pounds, not lose any weight and how did Servais, who has had trouble getting overpowered for years, lose 25 pounds? It seems to me that the guys I keep seeing setting records lifting weights, getting bigger and stronger, always seem to be on the defensive side of the ball.

Anyway, to summarize, I think the scheme is fine. The play calling might need tweaking and we appear to be missing some key components needed to run this offense successfully, but IMHO, we aren't far away from being solid on offense.
I think one issue with the recruitment on the offensive side of the ball has to do with a perception (fair or not) that this offense does not translate to the NFL and therefore players who play in it are overlooked for prospects who play in a more NFL friendly scheme. So kids realize that and favor schools (especially successful ones) that do well with pro-style offenses. Amba, Ishmael and Philips had huge years and they barely had any NFL interest.

The one thing we have to acknowledge is we need a talent infusion on O-line. Pogo would be that. Every other team in college football plays good pass rushing teams, has injuries, and bad playcalling at times. No other one has given up 8 sacks in 3 straight games.

The one thing we have to acknowledge is we need a talent infusion on O-line. Pogo would be that. Every other team in college football plays good pass rushing teams, has injuries, and bad playcalling at times. No other one has given up 8 sacks in 3 straight games.

And yet, despite not recruiting a bunch of OL with 6 P5 offers or whatever criteria you are artificially suggesting we need to do, every other team in college football seems to be able to field a functioning OL.

I wonder why that's the case, and what the primary issue here is? Hint -- it isn't just recruiting, and in fact that reason is down the list.

Last edited:
And yet, despite not recruiting a bunch of OL with 6 P5 offers or whatever criteria you are artificially suggesting we need to do, every other team in college football seems to be able to field a functioning OL.

I wonder why that's the case, and what the primary issue here is? Hint -- it isn't just recruiting, and in fact that reason is down the list.
So what do you think is the primary reason?

So what do you think is the primary reason?

Our OL coach is subpar.

I was concerned when he was hired, given the reaction from the Nebraska fanbase about his time there. This position is one of the first things I'd expect Dino to examine as soon as the season ends -- Cavanaugh seems to have lost the players in the OL room.

Our OL coach is subpar.

I was concerned when he was hired, given the reaction from the Nebraska fanbase about his time there. This position is one of the first things I'd expect Dino to examine as soon as the season ends -- Cavanaugh seems to have lost the players in the OL room.
I agree with that. We had two plays in particular that i replayed probably 7x each when Pitt rushed 4 vs our max protection (7) and they had instant pressure. So coaching has to do with it. But what about the O-line recruiting? If we consistently get a guy like Pogo every year we would be able to sustain the success we had last year.

I think one issue with the recruitment on the offensive side of the ball has to do with a perception (fair or not) that this offense does not translate to the NFL and therefore players who play in it are overlooked for prospects who play in a more NFL friendly scheme. So kids realize that and favor schools (especially successful ones) that do well with pro-style offenses. Amba, Ishmael and Philips had huge years and they barely had any NFL interest.
Maybe, but that was often said about the freeze option back in the day and it didn't really hurt guys chances too much. If you have the measurables and you can play, the NFL will most likely find you. They're pretty good at that.

UNC is going to get a lot of visitors and a lottt of big recruits in next couple years. It may or may not be James but they will be a force for a long time

UNC is going to get a lot of visitors and a lottt of big recruits in next couple years. It may or may not be James but they will be a force for a long time
That's what happens with a big time coach, decent fan base, state school, and active and willing boosters

That's what happens with a big time coach, decent fan base, state school, and active and willing boosters
Of those 4 factors you list, we may only have one of them and the next 1.5 years will tell if we even have that.

Of those 4 factors you list, we may only have one of them and the next 1.5 years will tell if we even have that.

1. Babers is a good coach. His staff has not served him well. Nevertheless - check.
2. The fan base is great, when we have a winner. This isn't the South, football is entertainment, not religion. Check.
3. Don't need to be a state school - irrelevant.
4. The guy just gave $25 million after another guy built the practice facility. Check

SU is fine. But Babers' assistants, nearly all of them, need to be replaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom