Class of 2020 - OT James Pogorelc (VA) Offered | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 OT James Pogorelc (VA) Offered

But, but... recruiting better is just all about TRYING HARDER.
And offering higher-ranked guys. Sheesh! How hard could it be?
C'mon, clearly our coaches just don't get it.

- a non-trivial number of SyrFan posters
If Dino really cared about landing this kid he'd skip all our remaining games to go to Pogorelc's instead.

I remember when SU "lost" current presidential candidate Cory Booker to Stanford.

You could make the argument that Stanford is the best school in the country for athletes - academics, quality of play, amazing post-graduation job offers, a top 5 campus in terms of sheer beauty, living conditions, facilities, west coast "mystique" for east coast/mid western kids, etc, etc. Syracuse is never going to win a recruit away from Stanford. I am amazed they lose anyone with incredible brain power combined with great athleticism.

I'm guessing that when bnoro is asking what else the coaches could have done, that he has knowledge of what happened behind the scenes. The coaching staff identified this kid early, before his offer list exploded, and made a big impression on him and his family selling him on the program.

He came on a visit the same weekend as Ilaoa [I believe], who committed that weekend -- and Pogo almost did as well, and the coaching staff was optimistic that we had a good shot. Then, our season got off to a poor start, and the kid's offer list quadrupled.

If we hadn't tapered off -- who knows? Maybe we're still in play in the family's mind.

But the notion that our staff didn't pull out the stops isn't a valid criticism / concern. Sometimes kids just blow up.
I Agree that "sometimes kids just blow up". I think HCDB and staff do a tremendous job of finding offensive line talent on the front end. Many times we are one of the first teams to offer as was the case with Pogo. However the concern is the same I have had for 3 years now and that is actually closing the deal and getting them to commit to Syracuse. As I watch these games weekly I notice that our offensive line is mostly HCDB recruits besides Evan Adams. I dont think anybody on this forum will say they are performing as well as an average to above average P5 group... and I am being generous with at that. So my concern over the last 3 years has been proven and evident.

Pogo is a talent upgrade that would instantly improve our line. While its encouraging that a O line recruit like Pogo thinks highly of us we now have to close the deal and get him or a offensive lineman like him. The bright side is it shows we arent too far off. Now we just have to close the deal on the offensive line.

I Agree that "sometimes kids just blow up". I think HCDB and staff do a tremendous job of finding offensive line talent on the front end. Many times we are one of the first teams to offer as was the case with Pogo. However the concern is the same I have had for 3 years now and that is actually closing the deal and getting them to commit to Syracuse. As I watch these games weekly I notice that our offensive line is mostly HCDB recruits besides Evan Adams. I dont think anybody on this forum will say they are performing as well as an average to above average P5 group... and I am being generous with at that. So my concern over the last 3 years has been proven and evident.

Pogo is a talent upgrade that would instantly improve our line. While its encouraging that a O line recruit like Pogo thinks highly of us we now have to close the deal and get him or a offensive lineman like him. The bright side is it shows we arent too far off. Now we just have to close the deal on the offensive line.
Hyperbole check: was it proven and evident last year?

Or is this an aberration?

Was it proven and evident last year?

Or is this an aberration?

Don't overstate.
So i literally laughed when i saw this question. But I am going to answer with a straight face. Last year we had a running qb PLUS Roberts, Cody Conway and Evan Adams those HCSS holdovers. We also had a TXAM 5th yr transfer (Martin)who was HCDB son in law. So we had only one true HCDB O-lineman on starting opening day roster. This year we have 4 HCDB offensive line recruits Adamscand with injuries we have played 7 HCDB O-line recruits and its a total mess. So we are stuck dreaming of landing good good O-line recruits like Pogo who can help on the field week 1 next year.

So i literally laughed when i saw this question. But I am going to answer with a straight face. Last year we had a running qb PLUS Roberts, Cody Conway and Evan Adams those HCSS holdovers. We also had a TXAM 5th yr transfer (Martin)who was HCDB son in law. So we had only one true HCDB O-lineman on starting opening day roster. This year we have 4 HCDB offensive line recruits Adamscand with injuries we have played 7 HCDB O-line recruits and its a total mess. So we are stuck dreaming of landing good good O-line recruits like Pogo who can help on the field week 1 next year.

So I literally laughed out loud when I saw your response. But I am going to respond with a straight face.

Thanks for confirming that your criticism wasn't valid regarding last year's team. As the saying goes, a broken clock is right twice per day.

This year the line has struggled, no argument there. As just about everybody who follows the team pointed out dating back to last spring, the OL would be the key to how this season unfolded.

So I literally laughed out loud when I saw your response. But I am going to respond with a straight face.

Thanks for confirming that your criticism wasn't valid regarding last year's team. As the saying goes, a broken clock is right twice per day.

This year the line has struggled, no argument there. As just about everybody who follows the team pointed out dating back to last spring, the OL would be the key to how this season unfolded.
I didnt have a problem with the O-line last year, but as I have said pretty much on all of my recruiting post here the last 2 years I had and HAVE a problem with the O-line recruits. Thats why I really really really want Pogo. He is a tremendous improvement over the type of O-line recruits we have had under HCDB. Lets stay positive. Maybe we will land Pogo

And maybe monkeys might fly out of my butt.

Sadly, monkeys flying out of butts is the better odds play between these 2.
(there’s a Chip & Millhouse joke in here someplace... :p )

Our staying positive is irrelevant.
If this kid can get into Stanford and really wants to go there, then Cuse is going to be the bridesmaid in this courtship.

And maybe monkeys might fly out of my butt.

Sadly, monkeys flying out of butts is the better odds play between these 2.
(there’s a Chip & Millhouse joke in here someplace... :p )

Our staying positive is irrelevant.
If this kid can get into Stanford and really wants to go there, then Cuse is going to be the bridesmaid in this courtship.
Well he can definitely get into Standford, Duke, William and Mary, Yale, Princeton, Dartmouth, Michigan etc etc

For the record. I was told he LEANS Stanford but Syracuse is close and in top 3 or 4 at the moment with Ivy league team. Academics, Proximity to home, playing time and coaching are high to him and his family. Lets look at each

Location- While our proximity is not optimal its better than flying across the country to Pac 12 games plus his family could easily visit away games we play at UNC NCST Wake Duke Clemson GT, in addition to our home games.

Coaches-James and his dad both have raved publicly about our coaches. I wonder how they feel about current O-line

Playing time- Obviously he would get early playing time provided he is better than Vettorelo or Bergeron

Academics- It is what it is

Not saying we will win the battle especially with our performance but we are still in it. The bright side is a few months back Kinsler was committed to another school and we had a zero percent chance. Now he is a commit (flip) to Syracuse. lets get this one also.

Well he can definitely get into Standford, Duke, William and Mary, Yale, Princeton, Dartmouth, Michigan etc etc

For the record. I was told he LEANS Stanford but Syracuse is close and in top 3 or 4 at the moment with Ivy league team. Academics, Proximity to home, playing time and coaching are high to him and his family. Lets look at each

Location- While our proximity is not optimal its better than flying across the country to Pac 12 games plus his family could easily visit away games we play at UNC NCST Wake Duke Clemson GT, in addition to our home games.

Coaches-James and his dad both have raved publicly about our coaches. I wonder how they feel about current O-line

Playing time- Obviously he would get early playing time provided he is better than Vettorelo or Bergeron

Academics- It is what it is

Not saying we will win the battle especially with our performance but we are still in it. The bright side is a few months back Kinsler was committed to another school and we had a zero percent chance. Now he is a commit (flip) to Syracuse. lets get this one also.
Location: Virginia is also in his top schools so he could just stay home and play in front of family
Playing time: Vettorello/Bergeron are both freshmen so he could theoretically be stuck behind both guys for 3 years

Kinsler hasn't been a committed prospect for over a year.

Location: Virginia is also in his top schools so he could just stay home and play in front of family
Playing time: Vettorello/Bergeron are both freshmen so he could theoretically be stuck behind both guys for 3 years

Not that its Vetterello or Bergeron fault but they aren't ready. This kid is better than either of the right now. Frankly if he isn't he is better off taking his 1470 SAT to Stanford, Princeton or wherever he wants to go.

And correct Kinsler technically rescinded his verbal to Louisville saying that they were still his favorite and still taking visits there. In fact I think he took a official to Louisville last month. Pleasantly surprised that he verballed to us. Best Syracuse Football news I have had in a while.

If he's good, he will play and play early. vettorello was recruited as a Guard.

Not that its Vetterello or Bergeron fault but they aren't ready. This kid is better than either of the right now. Frankly if he isn't he is better off taking his 1470 SAT to Stanford, Princeton or wherever he wants to go.
Sorry, a HS senior that is only 260 is not ready and not better than the two guys currently starting at tackle for our team. I'm not sure how you'd come to that conclusion but let's not be ridiculous. Pogorelc will redshirt (as most summer enrolling OL do) meaning that both tackles will have two years of experience by the time he's ready to play.
And if he's not better than the guys we have RIGHT NOW he should go elsewhere? Why?

Sorry, a HS senior that is only 260 is not ready and not better than the two guys currently starting at tackle for our team. I'm not sure how you'd come to that conclusion but let's not be ridiculous. Pogorelc will redshirt (as most summer enrolling OL do) meaning that both tackles will have two years of experience by the time he's ready to play.
And if he's not better than the guys we have RIGHT NOW he should go elsewhere? Why?
I will say again. This kid right now is better than the kids I have seen lined up at T for Syracuse during the 2019- 20 football year. To clarify if you swapped him out for those guys we might have given up 7 sacks instead of 8 during that three game stretch. He might have 1 less holding call than Vetto so far. I bet Mich UCLA Stanford NC Tenn NCST AZST etc etc all agree which is why the are trying to land him.

Bnoro on atleast 4 occasions on this forum the last two years you and I have had these back and forths about the O-lineman HCDB has recruited. Repeatedly I pointed out we needed more talented guys. The guys he has brought in just aren't ready for ACC play. The funny thing is I have actually defended Bergeron and Vetto as they have been thrown to the wolves because the HCDB recruits PRIOR to them have been MAC type O-line recruits. I told you last year. I told you that before this season started. And now week in and week out we look like a BAD MAC O-line playing ACC teams. We literally have the worst line in ACC and probably the whole P5. By leaving it there I am being generous btw.

At some point you have to see my point because its now obvious. NO MORE excuses. The offensive line recruits the last three years aren't good enough we need better O-line recruits like Pogo.

You might not think Pogo is better than Vetterllo, Bergeron, Ryan Alexander, Tisdale, Froumy,Dakota Davis, Patrick Davis etc etc etc. I bet Mich UCLA TENN and the other 15 P5 teams that offered him do.

If he's good, he will play and play early. vettorello was recruited as a Guard.
The argument Bnoro makes doesnt make sense. He says Pogo would redshirt and not play as a freshman but I am studying all 22 tape of Syracuse last two games and I see freshman Bergeron playing. ???????????? bnoro !
As you said Orangepassion if "hes good he will and play early"

I for my part feel he is better right now at T than Vetterello who really is a guard and Bergeron, Froumy, Patrick Davis, Alexander, Tisdale, Dakota Davis etc.

The argument Bnoro makes doesnt make sense. He says Pogo would redshirt and not play as a freshman but I am studying all 22 tape of Syracuse last two games and I see freshman Bergeron playing. ???????????? bnoro !
As you said Orangepassion if "hes good he will and play early"

I for my part feel he is better right now at T than Vetterello who really is a guard and Bergeron, Froumy, Patrick Davis, Alexander, Tisdale, Dakota Davis etc.
Bergeron is 19 almost 20
#2 player in Canada when he signed
6'4 311 pounds as a frosh

Physically and mentally he was way ahead of normal frosh OL

Bergeron is 19 almost 20
#2 player in Canada when he signed
6'4 311 pounds as a frosh

Physically and mentally he was way ahead of normal frosh OL
I understand. Hey I am on this thread to discuss Pogo so I will keep it at that. As I have said many times Pogo is the type of O-line recruit we need. Odds are down around 25% but lets keep oir fingers crossed.

I think someone has a severe case of OCD. If it doesn't stop someone is going to get a reply ban to this thread. I'm looking at you General.
Thank you for your kind words. I am here to discuss Pogo. Thats what I am doing. Not sure why I would be banned for that......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom