OT: Jamesville-DeWitt benches basketball star after third felony charge | Syracusefan.com

OT: Jamesville-DeWitt benches basketball star after third felony charge

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah... as a former JD guy... this doesnt look good.

I saw this on my Twitter timeline because one of the writers at Nunes is local to the area and tweeted the story. This is not a good look for the administration at J-D. The Athletics Director and Head Coach need to be suspended. The student should be dismissed from the program and if he is indeed a ringer as he lives on the West Side, J-D has to forfeit every game that he played in. He has three pending felony charges one of which could have ended a lot worse for the woman he choked into unconsciousness. All of this for a Class A title? Are you kidding me?

I saw this on my Twitter timeline because one of the writers at Nunes is local to the area and tweeted the story. This is not a good look for the administration at J-D. The Athletics Director and Head Coach need to be suspended. The student should be dismissed from the program and if he is indeed a ringer as he lives on the West Side, J-D has to forfeit every game that he played in. He has three pending felony charges one of which could have ended a lot worse for the woman he choked into unconsciousness. All of this for a Class A title? Are you kidding me?

I didn't even realize all this, that is absolutely disgusting.

The importance of high school athletics in these districts continues to boggle my mind. The decisions made by adults in the education arena are unreal.

College is similar, eh?

You know Coleman was basically a "ringer" at JD?

Charges are charges, convictions are convictions. The original charge occurred before school started, so I can see a school overlooking that and letting the kid participate. After the second one, we're in grayer territory.

I highly doubt he is innocent of all (hell, any) of the charges, but innocence is supposed to be the presumption.

Btw, keeping a kid who is obviously hanging with the wrong crowd, involved in productive after school activities is not the worst thing the school could do.

Charges are charges, convictions are convictions. The original charge occurred before school started, so I can see a school overlooking that and letting the kid participate. After the second one, we're in grayer territory.

I highly doubt he is innocent of all (hell, any) of the charges, but innocence is supposed to be the presumption.

Btw, keeping a kid who is obviously hanging with the wrong crowd, involved in productive after school activities is not the worst thing the school could do.
Absolutely disagree, we are not talking about a constitutional right to play basketball. It is a privilege. Any kid who wishes to participate needs to respect himself and the school he represents. Multiple felony charges should not be ignored just because basketball may represent a productive activity, which it obviously hasn't been for this kid.

Hope the kid can straighten himself out, but not by having institutions coddle and ignor criminal behavior.

That's why he isn't in jail yet. I wouldn't want this garbage human anywhere near my team or school, honestly prefer that he's not a part of our society in general.

i caught 4 kids breaking into my house last spring on camera and had the principal ID them. show the tape to police and guess what ? one was starting QB for our high school team this fall.

It’s a productive thing for the kid if basketball is the carrot being dangled and in order to be able to play he’s held to certain behavioral and academic standards and he meets them. There’s plenty of kids out there like that. That clearly isn’t happening here.

3 times in 6 months is ridiculous. Makes you wonder how many other things he’s done without getting caught.

i caught 4 kids breaking into my house last spring on camera and had the principal ID them. show the tape to police and guess what ? one was starting QB for our high school team this fall.

That would infuriate me. Sorry that happened to you

Would you want him on the same team as your kid?

Status
Not open for further replies.