OT: Jamesville-DeWitt benches basketball star after third felony charge | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Jamesville-DeWitt benches basketball star after third felony charge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely disagree, we are not talking about a constitutional right to play basketball. It is a privilege. Any kid who wishes to participate needs to respect himself and the school he represents. Multiple felony charges should not be ignored just because basketball may represent a productive activity, which it obviously hasn't been for this kid.

Hope the kid can straighten himself out, but not by having institutions coddle and ignor criminal behavior.

I never argued he should be allowed to continue playing right now and never argued or implied basketball was anything but a privilege.

Just felt it was worth noting that tossing a kid from a sport or school for a criminal charge, rather than a conviction, is a pretty poorly thought out solution. When you get into a pattern and multiple charges as we see here, sure, bounce him. But some are too quick on the trigger and add to the problem instead of addressing it.

He's going down a bad path and will not likely recover. It will get worse and that's sad. It's also mostly on him.

i caught 4 kids breaking into my house last spring on camera and had the principal ID them. show the tape to police and guess what ? one was starting QB for our high school team this fall.

What was their punishment and did they serve it?

police kicked it around for weeks . i continuously called for updates and was assigned a point of contact officer. after many meetings and a month of no progress and nearly coming to blows with him i was assigned a detective to the case . altho the juveniles (14-16) in question had all been clearly identified breaking into my home and fleeing when my wife arrived home and surprised them. i sought out the the assistance of our ward supervisor after the chief of police refused to return any of my calls and eventually to my understanding 2 were put on probation and 2 apparently got slaps on the wrist. kids are damn lucky it wasn't me that walked in.

police kicked it around for weeks . i continuously called for updates and was assigned a point of contact officer. after many meetings and a month of no progress and nearly coming to blows with him i was assigned a detective to the case . altho the juveniles (14-16) in question had all been clearly identified breaking into my home and fleeing when my wife arrived home and surprised them. i sought out the the assistance of our ward supervisor after the chief of police refused to return any of my calls and eventually to my understanding 2 were put on probation and 2 apparently got slaps on the wrist. kids are damn lucky it wasn't me that walked in.

So they were ultimately punished? Not to your liking, but punished by the law in some way.

Why shouldn't they be allowed to play football after that or during the investigation?

Well hopefully your daughter isn't a cheerleader or around the team with this punk's tendencies.

Hopefully she wouldn't associate with criminals, yes. Him being on the basketball team wouldn't have any impact on that. Cheerleaders aren't in contact with basketball players any more than the average student.

i said 2 got no punishment. not yet.

'slap on the wrist' usually implies a light punishment. Regardless, this discussion is going to get way OT and either nuked or moved.

I hope justice will be or has been served for the kids who broke into your home.

Hopefully she wouldn't associate with criminals, yes. Him being on the basketball team wouldn't have any impact on that. Cheerleaders aren't in contact with basketball players any more than the average student.

Must'be been different in my school.

It would be interesting to see this kid's attendance record.

Based on his past behavior the school is taking on substantial potential liability if and when he acts criminally against a fellow student or employee...especially on school grounds.

If we assume the administration acts rationally (which appears questionable) they apparently decided that the value of having a great basketball team outweighs the potential harm this kid may do.

Not surprising that they don't want to answer questions.

Anyone speaking on Dajuan Coleman like they actually know should just stop.
At least they faked it well when they moved into an apartment in the district.

Faked it? So moving from the south side where there is shootings weekly to a very very modest apartment complex in the JD district is faking it? Didn’t realize it was against the rules of man to move away from a bad situation in order to give your children a better life. Don’t comment on the situation when you know next to nothing about how it all went down.

I'm way out of this, especially in the Public schools. Private schools are different. This kid would have been long gone.

But public School administrators, teachers and coaches are poorly prepared and very nervous about this sort of thing. It's a legal and political minefield for them.

A very senior high school teacher and coach told me a number of years ago, "The world has changed. I'm afraid to tell a kid to sit down and shut up because the next day I'll be in front of the principal, the parents and a lawyer. So I say nothing. I'm not going to risk my position and pension."

Faked it? So moving from the south side where there is shootings weekly to a very very modest apartment complex in the JD district is faking it? Didn’t realize it was against the rules of man to move away from a bad situation in order to give your children a better life. Don’t comment on the situation when you know next to nothing about how it all went down.

This looks strangely like a bad community exporting one of it's very bad apples to a less bad one. People in his old neighborhood may have been glad to see this kid go.

The parent's may have been well intentioned but they probably should have had the kid dial back on the felonies.

This looks strangely like a bad community exporting one of it's very bad apples to a less bad one. People in his old neighborhood may have been glad to see this kid go.

The parent's may have been well intentioned but they probably should have had the kid dial back on the felonies.

I’m talking about Dajuan. I don’t know anything about this kid being mentioned. It’s why I’m holding back until more information comes out. Blasting ADs and coaches who I personally know and played for isn’t my thing until I hear exactly what happened here.

I know that the School Board President at JD is fairly new. The former president, along with at least one other BOE member stepped down somewhat recently. I'm certainly not excusing the apparent lack of punishment, but it has been far from an ideal last 5 months for JD. That being said, there seems to be too much smoke for there not to be some truth in all of these accusations. I remember people questioned whether Bernard Blunt lived in district at JD as well. As a light hitting outfielder on JD's mediocre baseball team, my residence was never questioned. :confused:

This is simply disgusting.
How the hell has this not been solved yet?

Charges are charges, convictions are convictions. The original charge occurred before school started, so I can see a school overlooking that and letting the kid participate. After the second one, we're in grayer territory.

I highly doubt he is innocent of all (hell, any) of the charges, but innocence is supposed to be the presumption.

Btw, keeping a kid who is obviously hanging with the wrong crowd, involved in productive after school activities is not the worst thing the school could do.

You do realize the original charge was choking a woman into unconsciousness, not shoplifting at CVS, right?

I never claimed to know anything about it, maybe read the quotes and the thread from the beginning before you comment and attack.

I’m talking about Dajuan. I don’t know anything about this kid being mentioned. It’s why I’m holding back until more information comes out. Blasting ADs and coaches who I personally know and played for isn’t my thing until I hear exactly what happened here.

If somebody has been arrested for 3 felonies that's not enough to maybe stop in and do something? Especially when it involves him being around and competing with other minors let alone going to school daily with them? Come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.