OT: Jamesville-DeWitt benches basketball star after third felony charge | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Jamesville-DeWitt benches basketball star after third felony charge

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do realize the original charge was choking a woman into unconsciousness, not shoplifting at CVS, right?

The severity of the crime is inconsequential when the facts aren't known. The school said they didn't have the information needed to take action; which is likely, given how police investigations work when minors are involved.

Punishment is supposed to come after a conviction. At the very least, you wait for facts that push guilt into 'more than likely' territory. 3 separate felony charges is enough to take action. 2 was maybe/probably enough. 1, outside of school during the summer, is not, imo.

The importance of high school athletics in these districts continues to boggle my mind. The decisions made by adults in the education arena are unreal.

High School athletics/administration mirroring Colllegiate athletics/administration. At least there is real money at stake on the college side.

The severity of the crime is inconsequential when the facts aren't known. The school said they didn't have the information needed to take action; which is likely, given how police investigations work when minors are involved.

Punishment is supposed to come after a conviction. At the very least, you wait for facts that push guilt into 'more than likely' territory. 3 separate felony charges is enough to take action. 2 was maybe/probably enough. 1, outside of school during the summer, is not, imo.

Nonsense. The severity of the crime has EVERYTHING to do with it. And if the paper could learn the details, the school could have.

Nonsense. The severity of the crime has EVERYTHING to do with it. And if the paper could learn the details, the school could have.

The paper just learned the details. Quite a big difference from knowing them in July or August

You do realize the original charge was choking a woman into unconsciousness, not shoplifting at CVS, right?

Right. Choking a woman out and stealing a CAR. These aren’t your typical, troubled teen BS. And it’s not like he just had one major thing. This is pretty crazy stuff to have 3 felony charges like that. And in 6 months!

The paper just learned the details. Quite a big difference from knowing them in July or August

That diesn’t mean the details weren’t available in July or August. Newspapers are late to things all the time.

I’d bet the school system was notified.

And I’m glad you’re nowhere near responsibility for a school system.

That diesn’t mean the details weren’t available in July or August. Newspapers are late to things all the time.

I’d bet the school system was notified.

And I’m glad you’re nowhere near responsibility for a school system.

It doesn't mean the details were available either. Being notified of the charge and knowing the details are different things. Due Process should be allowed for, either way, so the point is moot.

Your last sentence shows that you're starting to get a little childish about this, so I'll just make this my last comment in the thread.

If somebody has been arrested for 3 felonies that's not enough to maybe stop in and do something? Especially when it involves him being around and competing with other minors let alone going to school daily with them? Come on.

Look I’m not sure what happened. If you’re right and this is the 3rd felony then I’m with you. We’re talking about a kid though. I need to hear actual facts and convictions before I judge the situation further. JD isn’t playing him. What else can they do until this all settles?

Legally a school has no right to suspend a student/ “throw him out” for something they do outside of school that has no connection to school.
I suspected that but where do you draw the line with undesirable "students" virtually flaunting their personality in the face of those being good citizens.

It doesn't mean the details were available either. Being notified of the charge and knowing the details are different things. Due Process should be allowed for, either way, so the point is moot.

Your last sentence shows that you're starting to get a little childish about this, so I'll just make this my last comment in the thread.

I’ll leave it at this: when you put the number of felony charges in separate and distinct incidents at 1.5, as an under/over, when he is about to interact with high school srudents, you are something a lot worse than childish.

I’ll leave it at this: when you put the number of felony charges in separate and distinct incidents at 1.5, as an under/over, when he is about to interact with high school srudents, you are something a lot worse than childish.

I have to amend this. You put the over/under at 2 felony charges.

There is something seriously wrong with you.

I was suspended from my varsity baseball team for 3 days for wearing sneakers, instead of dress shoes, to school one day. I went to high school 5 minutes from JD.

I would have kicked you out of school entirely - and made you move to Springfield Gardens!!!

Look I’m not sure what happened. If you’re right and this is the 3rd felony then I’m with you. We’re talking about a kid though. I need to hear actual facts and convictions before I judge the situation further. JD isn’t playing him. What else can they do until this all settles?

Nothing, now.

But the last three months represent an institutional failure. The school resource officer should have learned of a student being charged with a felony. And then again being charged with another felony. And that employee should have sent the matter up the chain of command: the administration should have taken action and insisted that the coach take action.

But for some reason none of that happened.

I was suspended from my varsity baseball team for 3 days for wearing sneakers, instead of dress shoes, to school one day. I went to high school 5 minutes from JD.

1975?

Nothing, now.

But the last three months represent an institutional failure. The school resource officer should have learned of a student being charged with a felony. And then again being charged with another felony. And that employee should have sent the matter up the chain of command: the administration should have taken action and insisted that the coach take action.

But for some reason none of that happened.

i have no idea how schools work - but that sounds reasonable.

That’s absurd unless you believe people who are suspects in a murder are treated the same as people that get into a bar fight. People are treated differently prior to conviction absolutely dependent on the severity of the crime. Let’s suppose the First woman he attacked died...still ok to be on the team pending conviction?

That’s absurd unless you believe people who are suspects in a murder are treated the same as people that get into a bar fight. People are treated differently prior to conviction absolutely dependent on the severity of the crime. Let’s suppose the First woman he attacked died...still ok to be on the team pending conviction?

Yes, because we don't know the facts of the case. That's my entire point.

Sorry I love the American Constitution?

I must have missed the part about the constitutional right to play high school basketball when I was in law school.

That right doesn't exist. Which is why I didn't imply it does. I'm glad we're on the same page.

Yes, because we don't know the facts of the case. That's my entire point.

Sorry I love the American Constitution?
Well he’d probably be in a jail cell awaiting trial in that scenario. Bail dependent I suppose

Status
Not open for further replies.