OT: Jeremy Lin may be Houston-bound | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Jeremy Lin may be Houston-bound

I don't remember him being a great defender; but maybe I'm wrong. He's going to need to lose some weight.

I can't imagine Felton shooting as much as he did the first time around in NY, since Melo is here to go along with Amare.

If they let Lin go, I just feel like they lost the upside. The only real chance they have of beating Miami is if Lin is a star. I'm not saying he is, but he flashed the star potential. Felton will never be a star. If they end up matching Lin anyway, I'm fine with Felton in a lesser role.

Seems to me that the Knicks will go something like 52-30 and maybe win a round in the playoffs. Which is cool, it's been too long since that happened, but I don't see much more than that.

Isola is reporting that Grant Hill is looking at the Knicks.
I think the Knicks have decided to become old-school (literally) and gritty with a slow-tempo offense. I like this transition, we limit turnovers against Miami, are very good defensively, and have an offense with an identity. I also agree that we should match Lin's offer, it sucks to lose him for nothing. If not then I would love Grant Hill, he can back up JR until Shump comes back and then move over to back up Melo.

Aparrantly Lin is upset. Sources say he just thought the Knicks would match it.

Good job Houston! You traded away all your pg's and poison pilled your way to a pg who doesnt want to be there.

I think the Knicks have decided to become old-school (literally) and gritty with a slow-tempo offense.

I'd love to see 'em go really old school and bring back the Pearl and Hawthorne Wingo.

Good job Houston! You traded away all your pg's and poison pilled your way to a pg who doesnt want to be there.

I wonder if Lin spoke to the Knicks before he signed the offer sheet.

If you're Lin, you have to sign the offer. He makes just about the same money (3 million less), but becomes a free agent a year earlier.

Though it probably will never occur, I'd like to see a true hard cap. All the loopholes and maneuvering around is pretty ridiculous.

Ah, Lin is the one who signed the contract, poison pill or not.

so .. reading around the web... if lin were to flame out.. the knicks could waive him and use the new "stretch provision" from the cba where when a player is in the final year of a new contract(signed after the new cba was in place) and the cap hit is spread over 3 years.. so should ny not have moved amare etc or jeremy flames out , they could reduce the cap hit.. if lin becomes a star pg.. they can reap the benefits instead...

Stephen A Smith who has been incessant in saying that Lin WILL NOT be matched by NY is changing his tune today. He just said within the last few hours hes hearing that Dolan may be having a change of heart.

If you're Lin, you have to sign the offer. He makes just about the same money (3 million less), but becomes a free agent a year earlier.

Though it probably will never occur, I'd like to see a true hard cap. All the loopholes and maneuvering around is pretty ridiculous.

loopholes and maneuvering allow smart people to be smarter than avg joes.

if there was a hard cap, houston wouldnt have been able to negotiate the 'poison pill,' the knicks would have matched, and houston would have had no shot from the beginning.

unless you want a hard cap with no bird clause in which case you would change your tune as soon as your teams superstar was forced to walk away.

Or you are for the NFL way and just waiving anyone/everyone to make room.

I am hardly a cap expert but as you can tell from this post, that is complicated.

Though it probably will never occur, I'd like to see a true hard cap. All the loopholes and maneuvering around is pretty ridiculous.[/quote]
Derek Fisher made a pretty good argument against a hard cap - granted the head of the Players Association is hardly unbiased. The stars are going to get their money. If teams are unable to go over to re-sign role players, players are going to be more concerned with their numbers than doing whatever it takes (including sacrificing numbers) to win. I know football has a hard cap, but there's a lot more money to go round in the NFL.

Derek Fisher made a pretty good argument against a hard cap - granted the head of the Players Association is hardly unbiased. The stars are going to get their money. If teams are unable to go over to re-sign role players, players are going to be more concerned with their numbers than doing whatever it takes (including sacrificing numbers) to win. I know football has a hard cap, but there's a lot more money to go round in the NFL.[/quote]

thats not really true. the nba soft cap is approx 1/2 of the football hard cap.

with about 1/4 the players.