Class of 2018 - OT Koda Martin (Texas A&M) Grad Transfer to SYRACUSE | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 OT Koda Martin (Texas A&M) Grad Transfer to SYRACUSE

That's the dynamic I am worried about . Not only a red carpet non sitting transfer but , the HC's son in law . I hope all of OUR boys beat him out and win their position battles.
Players (collectively) know who can play. If the kids gets minutes, but stinks, there will be issues. If the kid can help the team, players will be good with it. Players know, and want to win.

Let's see Dino go out and get a grad transfer LB or WR where we NEED the help ...
Wow, you must really dislike the staff to complain about not only bringing in quality OL, but SEC-starting OL at that.
You can never have enough good OL. I really don't get how anyone can complain about this.
Btw, we still have ships available for those other areas. It isn't like we are capped at one grad transfer.

Players (collectively) know who can play. If the kids gets minutes, but stinks, there will be issues. If the kid can help the team, players will be good with it. Players know, and want to win.

Exactly and pretty safe to say a kid who started 10 games at A&M last year is good enough to start here. The OL is improving but it is still a work in progress. A team that has the longest bowl drought in its conference can use the help

Wow, you must really dislike the staff to complain about not only bringing in quality OL, but SEC-starting OL at that.
You can never have enough good OL. I really don't get how anyone can complain about this.
Btw, we still have ships available for those other areas. It isn't like we are capped at one grad transfer.

The kid is related to two coaches so this silly red carpet crap gets thrown out there. We have 15 wins in four years, I think a starting lineman from an SEC team deserves the spot
And yeah he clearly doesn’t like the staff.

Ok.
#1- We don't have a running back named Frederick. So I'll assume you're taking about Strickland.
#2- There were no good running backs statistically speaking. That especially includes Elmore who averaged the lowest ypc of the bunch. Even Rex Cullpeper had nearly identical rushing stats as Elmore. So why not make Cullpepper your RB? Elmore is just not athletic enough, or fast enough, or running backy enough to play running back. Maybe in a big package on the goal line...but that's it. William Perry was a fat boy who could score from the 1 yard line too...but there was a reason he never played RB beyond that. Same here. He was placed at RB as an experiment, and out of need.
#3- Despite all that, Strickland actually averaged a pretty hefty 5.05 ypc over the last 4 games.
#4- Strickland played a better game vs. Miami than Clemson rushing for 105 yards on 14 carries.
#5- Dino Babers has coached football at one of the highest levels for 39 years. He's been good enough to always have a job for nealy 4 decades. The man knows football to a level you and I can't even comprehend. If he feels Elmore has no business playing RB this year, then he's right.

You need to keep in mind, that a lot of our pain in the running game, especially in the first 7-8 games, had as much to do with line play as the capability of the running backs. We don't have the kind of RB's that can produce yards despite poor blocking. Our backs are more than capable however, when given some running lanes, as evidenced by the improvement in line play over the last 1/4 of the season.

Well in fairness, Elmore was situational in short yardage. Not going to pile up ypc stats like that. Just pointing that out.

I wat

I watched Adams exclusively multiple times last year and being 338 I kinda think he should be a road grader but he isn’t. I didn’t see that drive a guy into the ground mentality from him at all. Would put his hands on u push a bit then stop. Don’t get it. He should be driving the one or three tech right into the mike everyplay at 338.

I actually thought the right side of the line with Moo Moo and Adams outplayed the left side (Conway and Heckel) last year. I was surprised when I saw that Heckel led the team in pancakes too.

My impression of Adams is that he did have a nasty streak and had quick enough feet to slide out and play tackle. So of the bunch I still think the odd man out would be Heckel (assuming Roberts- who also has a nasty streak- rebounds). Its good to have depth since you figure someone will get banged up during the year.

The staff must have known Martin was coming this spring. I imagine they were cross training Servais at RT in spring practice for next year.

Last point is that people have to stop over thinking this. Martin was a starting LT in the SEC. The kid can (and will) play. He's good.

Well in fairness, Elmore was situational in short yardage. Not going to pile up ypc stats like that. Just pointing that out.
I get that, but let's not act like this kid just need a crease, and he was off to the races. He was a running back the same way the fridge was a running back.

I actually thought the right side of the line with Moo Moo and Adams outplayed the left side (Conway and Heckel) last year. I was surprised when I saw that Heckel led the team in pancakes too.

My impression of Adams is that he did have a nasty streak and had quick enough feet to slide out and play tackle. So of the bunch I still think the odd man out would be Heckel (assuming Roberts- who also has a nasty streak- rebounds). Its good to have depth since you figure someone will get banged up during the year.

The staff must have known Martin was coming this spring. I imagine they were cross training Servais at RT in spring practice for next year.

Last point is that people have to stop over thinking this. Martin was a starting LT in the SEC. The kid can (and will) play. He's good.
He has to be and we will be better either way

I agree with the bolded. This isn't a typical grad transfer, where a guy was looking for an upgrade in competition or more playing time or a better fit. By all accounts he loved being an Aggie and was well positioned there. This is just the extremely unusual case where the kid's father got a coaching job at a P5 school where the kid's father in law happened to be the head coach. I have to believe his father/father in law knew pretty quickly how open he was to playing for them as a grad transfer. They most certainly waited until after A&M spring practice to allow him to get his spring workouts in and to minimize distractions. A&M owes a lot to Coach Martin, who nudged a lot of his players to A&M while he was head coach at Manvel, and they weren't going to risk alienating a well regarded and influential former Texas HS coach, so they played along.

Regardless, Syracuse got better and deeper. Can't wait for the season to start!

I get that, but let's not act like this kid just need a crease, and he was off to the races. He was a running back the same way the fridge was a running back.
I enjoyed the Elmo experiment last year, but I'm guessing it's over. This transfer just made the line a bit better. My guess is Elmo on D.

The FB role may be irrelevant. Improved line. IF they still opt for it, there are 2 RBs coming in that are brawlers. I think Howard may also be stronger than Elmo.. Add break away ability, quick screen, outlet, and more speed? IF they opt for the role, there are guys more dynamic, that allow for no substitutions in a hurry up offense.

Great to KNOW the line will be better this year.

Right, our OL play has just been dynamite the last 5 years.

Amazing that you’re in here complaining. SMH.

Lol, i get it. I love the addition . But, yes , i think our Oline could be our strongest unit this year!

If so, I like our chances to go bowling.

Me too, geeez, i have loved our young Oline talent for the past 3 years. We have size and talent a nice blend of size, feet, and motor. I am most worried about the wr and LB groups.

Me too, geeez, i have loved our young Oline talent for the past 3 years. We have size and talent a nice blend of size, feet, and motor. I am most worried about the wr and LB groups.
I am also worried about them positions and I hope we can fix them soon.

Interesting.

If memory serves, HCDB said Adams was his 2cnd best lineman, last year. (Inferring Conway, first) . Heckel led the team in pancakes(41). Now, you're left with Roberts, Servais.

Where did you pull the stat on pancake blocks from? Right off cuse.com?