Class of 2018 - OT Koda Martin (Texas A&M) Grad Transfer to SYRACUSE | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 OT Koda Martin (Texas A&M) Grad Transfer to SYRACUSE

Oh, you must have read that somewhere. ;)

Not sure where or when you posted that- but the same exact day I was told Kirk was coming to Syracuse, it was followed by Koda would be following.

If you want some credit for it too, gladly take it.

Not sure where or when you posted that- but the same exact day I was told Kirk was coming to Syracuse, it was followed by Koda would be following.

If you want some credit for it too, gladly take it.
Wish he could have been at our Spring practice.

Wish he could have been at our Spring practice.
I know, but I'm sure his dad and QB coach will help with the learning curve. Maybe even his dad-in-law, whom I'm told is very familiar with the playbook.

This probably won't be popular, but can people with some OL background seem him sliding in at LT?

Is this real?
So what exactly did he show with his 26 carries for 56 yards that leads us to believe he should get the bulk of the carries?

Frederick has been BAD outside of the Clemson game and has a career YPC under 4. Its great he was amazing that night but if you've seen literally any of his other games...well another option might be the better option. Neal is a 3rd down/receiving back only he simply won't do well in a larger role. Gimme the big boy. I'll be very happy if someone else on the roster steps up but we don't know who that will be.

We have one amazing RB on the roster but he plays QB. Elmore getting a lot of snaps means you have a fullback to spring Dungey on designed QB runs. I get we have a very 2018 offense but I'd like to take an old school approach to some of the running plays. I'd like to not F around on 3rd and 1 and just run it up the middle and pick it up regularly. A designed run for Dungey is the only thing I'd trust on 3rd and 1 other than pounding Elmore.

Now I could tell you to go back and read the entire thread but for you...

Koda Martin - 2017 Football Roster - Texas A&M University Athletics Department

2017 (Junior)
Appeared in 12 games making 10 starts on the offensive line … helped clear the way for the Aggie offense that averaged 389.6 yards per game … assisted in the offense gaining 285 yards on the ground against Arkansas … was a starter against New Mexico in which the Aggies gained 562 yards … awarded the Weight Room MVP at the team’s annual banquet.
2016 (Sophomore)
Saw action in all 13 games, including four starts (three at offensive tackle, one at tight end) ... was the Aggies’ top backup at both tackle spots ... helped clear the way for a balanced Aggie offense that gained 467.0 yards per game, with 211.8 rushing and 250.0 passing yards per game ... offense rushed for more than 200 yards in seven games and had 350-plus yards vs. Arkansas and Tennessee.
2015 (Freshman)
Listed as the Aggies’ top backup at both offensive tackle spots ... fell on a fumble in the endzone for a touchdown against Ball State ... saw action in eight games ... named to the SEC Academic Honor Roll.
Redshirted ... earned scout team Offensive MVP at the 2014 team banquet.

Plus he played for his father at Manvel.
thanks, you are the best. had a few things going on this morning preventing me from researching on my own.

I seem him sliding. Seem him all the time learning the "playbook" until coach told him it wuz mythical so it seems.

Frederick has been BAD outside of the Clemson game and has a career YPC under 4. Its great he was amazing that night but if you've seen literally any of his other games...well another option might be the better option. Neal is a 3rd down/receiving back only he simply won't do well in a larger role. Gimme the big boy. I'll be very happy if someone else on the roster steps up but we don't know who that will be.

We have one amazing RB on the roster but he plays QB. Elmore getting a lot of snaps means you have a fullback to spring Dungey on designed QB runs. I get we have a very 2018 offense but I'd like to take an old school approach to some of the running plays. I'd like to not around on 3rd and 1 and just run it up the middle and pick it up regularly. A designed run for Dungey is the only thing I'd trust on 3rd and 1 other than pounding Elmore.

Ok.
#1- We don't have a running back named Frederick. So I'll assume you're taking about Strickland.
#2- There were no good running backs statistically speaking. That especially includes Elmore who averaged the lowest ypc of the bunch. Even Rex Cullpeper had nearly identical rushing stats as Elmore. So why not make Cullpepper your RB? Elmore is just not athletic enough, or fast enough, or running backy enough to play running back. Maybe in a big package on the goal line...but that's it. William Perry was a fat boy who could score from the 1 yard line too...but there was a reason he never played RB beyond that. Same here. He was placed at RB as an experiment, and out of need.
#3- Despite all that, Strickland actually averaged a pretty hefty 5.05 ypc over the last 4 games.
#4- Strickland played a better game vs. Miami than Clemson rushing for 105 yards on 14 carries.
#5- Dino Babers has coached football at one of the highest levels for 39 years. He's been good enough to always have a job for nealy 4 decades. The man knows football to a level you and I can't even comprehend. If he feels Elmore has no business playing RB this year, then he's right.

You need to keep in mind, that a lot of our pain in the running game, especially in the first 7-8 games, had as much to do with line play as the capability of the running backs. We don't have the kind of RB's that can produce yards despite poor blocking. Our backs are more than capable however, when given some running lanes, as evidenced by the improvement in line play over the last 1/4 of the season.

Last edited:
Ok.
#1- We don't have a running back named Frederick. So I'll assume you're taking about Strickland.
#2- There were no good running backs statistically speaking. That especially includes Elmore who averaged the lowest ypc of the bunch. Even Rex Cullpeper had nearly identical rushing stats as Elmore. So why not make Cullpepper your RB? Elmore is just not athletic enough, or fast enough, or running backy enough to play running back. Maybe in a big package on the goal line...but that's it. He was placed at RB as an experiment, and out of need.
#3- Despite all that, Strickland actually averaged a pretty hefty 5.05 ypc over the last 4 games.
#4- Strickland played a better game vs. Miami than Clemson rushing for 105 yards on 14 carries.
#5- Dino Babers has coached football at one of the highest levels for 39 years. He's been good enough to always have a job for nealy 4 decades. The man knows football to a level you and I can't even comprehend. If he feels Elmore has no business playing RB this year, then he's right.

You need to keep in mind, that a lot of our pain in the running game, especially in the first 7-8 games, had as much to do with line play as the capability of the running backs. We don't have the kind of RB's that can produce yards despite poor blocking. Our backs are more than capable however, when given some running lanes, as evidenced by the improvement in line play over the last 1/4 of the season.
Hopefully the O-line can improve enough to actually run the ball effectively which would make us far less predictable and far less dependent on Dungey's improvisational skills.

I'd love to see far more balance in the run/pass ratio. In Baylor's best years under Briles, they ran the ball more than they passed.

Hopefully the O-line can improve enough to actually run the ball effectively which would make us far less predictable and far less dependent on Dungey's improvisational skills.

I'd love to see far more balance in the run/pass ratio. In Baylor's best years under Briles, they ran the ball more than they passed.
Because they could.
Agreed. Being able to run would also greatly improve our red zone td percentage. I think Dino was barely able to open the playbook inside the 10-20, which lead to a lot of head scratching calls.

Sounds like a great opportunity for the young man. If he hopes for a shot at the NFL, he can have tape playing against the best of both the SEC and the ACC.

True, but I think the SEC was enough )

Yeah...the chemistry thing worries me a bit as well but the upside has so much potential talent wise and depth.

That's the dynamic I am worried about . Not only a red carpet non sitting transfer but , the HC's son in law . I hope all of OUR boys beat him out and win their position battles.

That's the dynamic I am worried about . Not only a red carpet non sitting transfer but , the HC's son in law . I hope all of OUR boys beat him out and win their position battles.

Let's see Dino go out and get a grad transfer LB or WR where we NEED the help ...

You have got to be kidding. If you can get talent, you bring in talent, and if someone currently on the roster sits, they sit.

Pretty obvious this kid has played at a higher level than anyone in the OL group.

You have got to be kidding. If you can get talent, you bring in talent, and if someone currently on the roster sits, they sit.

Pretty obvious this kid has played at a higher level than anyone in the OL group.

Oh, i get it, just trying to understand the dynamic. When you play and compete at this level you have competition coming at you from all angles . In the end, a great get for the program.

I wat
Somebody has to play center though. Sounds like Heckel is strong enough to handle it. I could see Servais displacing Adams or Roberts at a guard position, probably Adams. That would be a really athletic, mobile unit at OL.
I watched Adams exclusively multiple times last year and being 338 I kinda think he should be a road grader but he isn’t. I didn’t see that drive a guy into the ground mentality from him at all. Would put his hands on u push a bit then stop. Don’t get it. He should be driving the one or three tech right into the mike everyplay at 338.

I know it's super early to "predict" anything. I will be shocked if he is not our starting RT. He was going to be Texas A&M's starting LT and I believe 2nd team preseason SEC last year. I really liked what our guys showed on the line during the spring "game" but I just don't seeing Koda riding the pine.

I wat

I watched Adams exclusively multiple times last year and being 338 I kinda think he should be a road grader but he isn’t. I didn’t see that drive a guy into the ground mentality from him at all. Would put his hands on u push a bit then stop. Don’t get it. He should be driving the one or three tech right into the mike everyplay at 338.
Interesting.

If memory serves, HCDB said Adams was his 2cnd best lineman, last year. (Inferring Conway, first) . Heckel led the team in pancakes(41). Now, you're left with Roberts, Servais. Servais seems much better, when able to utilize his mobility. I'm not going to be surprised if the position battle winds up at guard.

With cross training, if either tackle is even slightly banged up, we now have a legit 3rd guy, that can slide over, and give the kid a week or two, to heal up. It's a great problem to have.