OT: made some new friends today | Syracusefan.com

OT: made some new friends today

stuckinbig11

All American
Five Russian scientists visited me this afternoon to learn about the effects of lake-level regulation on Lake Ontario wetlands in preparation for taking on the task of changing the regulation plan for Lake Baikal. Two spoke very good English, one tried, and two were clueless. They took me to lunch; I made a powerpoint presentation in which each slide had to be translated; and then we drove out to a local Lake Ontario wetland. They are great folks. We joked and had fun; we also learned from each other--all with translation. We hugged when they left. It was a great day.

Five Russian scientists visited me this afternoon to learn about the effects of lake-level regulation on Lake Ontario wetlands in preparation for taking on the task of changing the regulation plan for Lake Baikal. Two spoke very good English, one tried, and two were clueless. They took me to lunch; I made a powerpoint presentation in which each slide had to be translated; and then we drove out to a local Lake Ontario wetland. They are great folks. We joked and had fun; we also learned from each other--all with translation. We hugged when they left. It was a great day.

Miracle on ice part of that presentation?

collaborator. why don't you pee on the American flag while you're at it.

j/k

komrade.

Flag-map_of_USSR-USA.svg

Interesting. Assume they weren't from Moscow. Siberia perhaps? Novosibirsk academgorod? I'm from Moscow originally ...
I don't know Russian geography well enough to have made any sense of it if I had asked. Two of them had obvious oriental features.

That is wicked cool. Always great to make friends from far-off places, especially from places we Americans often view as being home to "the enemy."

I don't know Russian geography well enough to have made any sense of it if I had asked. Two of them had obvious oriental features.
Yes, sounds like they were from thereabouts. Heavy Mongolian influences in those parts historically. Novosibirsk Academgorodok is a hard core scientific community. Academgorodok - which roughly translates as an Academic Town - is notorious for its research and science projects. What's the institution they're affiliated with? I don't suppose 5 Russians showed up at your office and asked for a wetlands tour, did they? Even with a good bottle of vodka in hand ...

Yes, sounds like they were from thereabouts. Heavy Mongolian influences in those parts historically. Novosibirsk Academgorodok is a hard core scientific community. Academgorodok - which roughly translates as an Academic Town - is notorious for its research and science projects. What's the institution they're affiliated with? I don't suppose 5 Russians showed up at your office and asked for a wetlands tour, did they? Even with a good bottle of vodka in hand ...

They were just thinking that all Americans have Super Bowl rings

The Vodka must have been good. I like the cheap stuff my self as I want to taste what I am drinking
Most Russians would kill for what you call "the cheap stuff". The "drink" of forced choice there is the distilled (sometimes ... if you're lucky) ... eau-de-cologne. That's considered creme de la creme. Preparation is a cinch: pour some into a heat resistant mug; put on a stove; stick a white-hot nail into it for a few seconds (helps if you hold the nail with pliers) ... and bingo, the nectar of the gods is ready. Not for the weak of heart ... or stomach.

They had a Russian contact in the states (one of the five) who made arrangements with me a couple months ago. They drank tea. They also shared some Russian chocolate.

The most fun of the day, however, came right after lunch. The lady who cuts my hair has an accent but I did not recognize it. One day while getting a haircut, I noticed a letter posted on the wall that was in Russian--thus initiating a discussion about her origins. She was born in Russia and came to the US as a teenager. I told her about the impending visit. So, after lunch today, we went to her shop about a block away to say hello. Unfortunately, she was not there. However, her ~12 year old daughter was there, and she can speak Russian. She came out and talked with my guests for about ten minutes. They all enjoyed it immensely. I just stood there watching the girl and grinning.

I had a similar experience after the gulf war in 91. My platoon was held back, as a reactionary force- there in case Saddam decided he was going to re-invade Kuwait after everyone else left. My days were filled with loading ships with gear, as everyone leaving country would come to the port, drop their gear, and get on an airplane and leave. So since we had nothing else to do, we got to load ship. I was assigned to a floating crane, which happened to be a Sri Lankan vessel. I worked directly with the first mate, and we struck up a friendship. Once we were done and they were about to depart from home, we swapped covers(hats). Great time, and great people-all around the world!