OT: Moving to D.C. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Moving to D.C.

Let me ask a related question (for my son)

If he ends up at the Pentagon next year...where should he look?

Early 30's, single who enjoys great food selections and a good singles social scene.

Early 30's, single who enjoys great food selections and a good singles social scene.

Shaw might fit the bill. Only four or so Metro stops on the yellow line, a lot of popular new restaurants. It's gotten a little pricey, though.

Lucky guy. Others would know better but I am there twice a year and for two weeks every summer. Logan Circle (close to the 14th St. strip of great restarants and such) or DuPont Circle area (also close to 14th St.) would be my call. Maybe Columbia Heights since that is an area now with desirable foodie/booze spots. Navy Yard seems pretty cool also with potential warehouse style lofts and such without as many tourists and traffic.

Clarendon. Assuming he's like his dad and enjoys a good firearm. Lots of military types in Alexandria too.

If you are working near Brookland, look in Takoma Park or Downtown Silver Spring. Or if you more want a house, Forest Glen. All along the red line of the Metro.

Pentagon worker..definitely Old Town or Rosslyn or along that stretch

If you are working near Brookland, look in Takoma Park or Downtown Silver Spring. Or if you more want a house, Forest Glen. All along the red line of the Metro.

By Old Town you are meaning Alexandria? That was my first suggestion to my son.

(and definitely in Va. if as Bayside says he likes firearms. My CCW in Va is no good here in Md)

Yep. I would still live by there if I could. Spent my late 20s/early 30s around there, great food and bars.

Prior to living in Hyattsville, I lived in Arlington for about 6 years. If he's at the Pentagon and values a short commute and still good access, I lived in the Columbia Pike area in Arlington. It's had a lot of development since I've lived there. Stones throw from the Pentagon, easy to get to the Clarendon/Ballston areas of Arlington or Old Town as well as into D.C.

I've heard Clarendon, Ballston, and Rosslyn are pretty good for that kind of thing. I have a few friends that live up there. I've only been living here for about two months now so I haven't actually made my way up there to see for myself but those areas are supposed to be more of a young person atmosphere.

Old Town is great. Plenty of bars, on the water, just really nice place.

Last edited:

Yeah, lot of development, plug and play apartments. Lots of places to eat and partake, that might be more your guy's speed. But Del Ray is great, metro is there too. Shirlington area is super close to the Pentagon too but I haven't hung around there in 15 years.

We live in Howard County, MD now about 40 minutes away, but prior to this we lived in Silver Spring just over the DC line. If you're trying to balance affordability with great access to the city, I would strongly recommend Silver Spring.

Home - The Point at Silver Spring I'm the guy on the home page doing yoga in the courtyard with those hot girls. (just kidding)

I am moving to Maryland this summer. We are looking in the Columbia, Ellicott City area. We'll have two boys in high school. Any recommendations on neighborhoods and schools?

Yeah, lot of development, plug and play apartments. Lots of places to eat and partake, that might be more your guy's speed. But Del Ray is great, metro is there too. Shirlington area is super close to the Pentagon too but I haven't hung around there in 15 years.

Shirlington has some definite negative connotations associated with it. (In my experience, the whole Wilson corridor does, too.)

Shirlington has some definite negative connotations associated with it. (In my experience, the whole Wilson corridor does, too.)

The immediate shopping district is nice, really really built out over the years. Depends on what direction you leave it. Fairlington area used to be a popular area to live, but a lot more options in the area now.

The immediate shopping district is nice, really really built out over the years. Depends on what direction you leave it. Fairlington area used to be a popular area to live, but a lot more options in the area now.

Yeah, I'm sure it's passable as far as a place to live, it just comes with the stereotype of being for 20-somethings who went to directional state schools and don't have a lot going on. There are definitely worse places to live, though. And allegedly they've got a Busboys & Poets, so maybe it's becoming some kind of hip.

Yeah, I'm sure it's passable as far as a place to live, it just comes with the stereotype of being for 20-somethings who went to directional state schools and don't have a lot going on. There are definitely worse places to live, though. And allegedly they've got a Busboys & Poets, so maybe it's becoming some kind of hip.

I am old enough to remember when that was a Best with a big parking lot. I went to that theatre this summer after years away, the whole place really upgraded, but it was either younger singles or much older singles or empty nesters. Not my thing but fun to go back to Carlyle Grand.

Mark's kid would likely like the Alexandria area the best. Frankly more of a military bent in the social scene in some places on King Street.

I've heard Clarendon, Ballston, and Rosslyn are pretty good for that kind of thing. I have a few friends that live up there. I've only been living here for about two months now so I haven't actually made my way up there to see for myself but those areas are supposed to be more of a young person atmosphere.

Old Town is great. Plenty of bars, on the water, just really nice place.
I lived in Clarendon/Rosslyn a decade ago... don't know what it's like now but back then it was definitely a lot of young folks and young families with a very high walkability score for bars and restaurants plus east access to DC via the Metro. I remember the Whole Foods on Clarendon would back up traffic forever if that means anything... but I actually liked Harris Teeter better.

The one thing I will say though is that DC felt like any big, cosmopolitan city in the world but living in NOVA really felt like you were living in the South. You'd see a lot more big state school types in NOVA and a lot more private school types in DC. Not passing any judgment on that as I enjoyed living in the area and would consider moving back there if I ever wanted to leave Austin.