OT: New Jersey HS screwed by officials in state Playoff game | Syracusefan.com

OT: New Jersey HS screwed by officials in state Playoff game

You want to become a legend? Captains of the “winning” team contact the NJ high school association and tell them that the true winning team should advance. They’ll be on the Today show, sportscenter etc.

Unless it was clear clock started late. Then forget my whole strategy. Lol

If the refs initially got the call wrong, hey it happens. The fact that they reversed themselves after talking with a state official seems shady. They can't just say that they got the call wrong and move on. They should be required to explain why they changed the call. If the explanation is a good one, then ok. But this screams corruption.

Edit

Also the refs left the court and we told to go back and discuss it. Explain that.

Last edited:
if they video is correct the school itself should give the game back to other team.

if they video is correct the school itself should give the game back to other team.
Gut check time for Camden. Do you have any integrity? Are you trying to teach your students integrity? If there is no replay I don't see how they could possibly have changed the call.

If the refs initially got the call wrong, hey it happens. The fact that they reversed themselves after talking with a state official seems shady. They can't just say that they got the call wrong and move on. They should be required to explain why they changed the call. If the explanation is a good one, then ok. But this screams corruption.

Edit

Also the refs left the court and we told to go back and discuss it. Explain that.

As a former HS basketball ref, I have MANY thoughts on this. I won't go into a lot, but two things are my main takes.

1)IF the refs left the court, that's it. The leaving of the court concludes the game and any actions after that have to be done through a protest.

2) IF they decided that the clock started late, you better have some absolutely completely irrevocable perfect video of that. And that the difference was significant enough (at least a full second or more) to make it indisputable that the shot was actually after what should have been zero. From every video and angle I have seen, there is not that. I don't even think it's as good as a coin flip that the clock started late, let alone a full second late.

This reeks of a payoff, and I don't say that lightly or off the cuff. Every single thing that took place is in violation of the rule book. There should be a state investigation of misconduct and bribery.

edit to add...last I knew in NYS there is no provision for video review. Perhaps NJ has a state exemption to that rule.

Last edited:
Apparently there’s chatter on the webs saying that the Refs are paid off and it’s well known.

The problem with refusing to correct an obvious wrong call like this when all of the arguments they are using are provably false (they have used video to reverse game outcomes in the past, as an example) - pretty much confirms corruption is involved.

The debate online isn’t if this was corrupt - it’s over what people involved are the sources of the obvious corruption. And almost certainly the refs aren’t merely incompetent but are part of the corruption.

Corruption and New Jersey go together like a horse and carriage…

Last edited:
As a former HS basketball ref, I have MANY thoughts on this. I won't go into a lot, but two things are my main takes.

1)IF the refs left the court, that's it. The leaving of the court concludes the game and any actions after that have to be done through a protest.

2) IF they decided that the clock started late, you better have some absolutely completely irrevocable perfect video of that. And that the difference was significant enough (at least a full second or more) to make it indisputable that the shot was actually after what should have been zero. From every video and angle I have seen, there is not that. I don't even think it's as good as a coin flip that the clock started late, let alone a full second late.

This reeks of a payoff, and I don't say that lightly or off the cuff. Every single thing that took place is in violation of the rule book. There should be a state investigation of misconduct and bribery.

That is sickening.

I just saw that the school has filed in state court for an injunction to stop the title game until this can be appealed.

I don't blame them...but if this can get focus and attention of law enforcement then I guess I am ok with it. I feel bad for those kids that got screwed in the most obvious way possible.

Hopefully Judge does the right thing , and will be VERY interested where an investigation leads if there is one. Everyone in tri state knows how shady that Jersey leadership is

edit to add...last I knew in NYS there is no provision for video review. Perhaps NJ has a state exemption to that rule.
Their behavior was odd. They casually walked off the court and were told by Camden to discuss it then went back on the court and lo and behold. All while someone from the State was in their ear.

I have seen TV Teddy hold up an obvious ending by blowing his whistle and calling the refs together just so everyone had to watch him have the final say. These refs made no indication until being told to do so.

What would be impactful? Camden forfeiting/admitting they lost or Arts refusing to play Camden on Saturday?

"The NJSIAA admitted the wrong call was made but its bylaws do not allow for a video review, and the call on the court stands. It said the official who said he thought the ball was still in Linstra’s hands as time expired agreed after seeing video that the basket should have counted."

I'm so incredibly sick of referees and adults just ruining things for kids based on strict rule interpretation. This and that ridiculous ACC swim are just so upsetting. There's no reason why people can't say that rules can be set aside when something egregious happens. Everyone knows what team won that game. Everyone knows who won that race. It's so stupid.

That tweet is 100% correct. NO off court management nor anyone other than the crew should be conferring with the officials on the floor. And once the officials leave the floor, it is over. Period/end of discussion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom