OT: New Jersey HS screwed by officials in state Playoff game | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: New Jersey HS screwed by officials in state Playoff game

Sort of stunned Camden hasn't done the right thing and forfeited.
If the officials originally called it good without replay they can't reverse their decision. The New Jersey officials need to make it right.

That tweet is 100% correct. NO off court management nor anyone other than the crew should be conferring with the officials on the floor. And once the officials leave the floor, it is over. Period/end of discussion.

So it looks like the baseline official was the culprit. The trail official called it good. The other official had walked off the court as he thought it was good. So how can the one official overrule the other two? Transparency should be required here.

You mean the ref with the only bad angle on the whole play tried to correct the right call.

The ref who actually made the call had the best angle by far.

This is why video replay should be allowed for state tournament games. I officiated in the boys NY state basketball tournament in Glens Falls last year and we could've gone to video replay if needed.

There are also state rules interpreters sitting court side in case situations come up when officials can't agree on correct ruling. I saw this happen last year in Class D finals when all 3 officials couldn't agree on the correct ruling of who shoots foul shots if the shooter is injured and has to come out of the game. Maybe that is why there was a state rep there during this game?

Also, that lead official on the endline has no business overturning that call, especially if he is out numbered. It wouldn't surprise me if he was the Referee on that game (ie, official who tosses the jump ball at start of the game). For IAABO officials in a 3man crew, its the official opposite the scores table that has the last second shot. That can either be the Center or Trail depending on court positioning.

Good.

Yup. And if you read the last sentence of the article i posted this morning, they're not going to.

While I think it would be fine if they did, it's unfair to expect that they should.

NJ High School official Derryk Sellers lives about 10 minutes from Camden and was also the athletic director at Lindenwold High, which is very close to Camden.

Lindenwold lost Camden by about 60 in the previous round of the playoffs. He was also involved with the South Jersey Coaches Association.

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

Should've never been assigned to the game to begin with then, imo.

If the officials originally called it good without replay they can't reverse their decision. The New Jersey officials need to make it right.

On one hand, I'd prefer they make it right.

On the other, it may be better for the kids from Manasquan to be forced to confront that the country is an unjust kleptocracy at this point, expecting justice to ever be served is wildly unrealistic - and getting screwed like this is what they should expect for the rest of their lives.

'Merica!

So it looks like the baseline official was the culprit. The trail official called it good. The other official had walked off the court as he thought it was good. So how can the one official overrule the other two? Transparency should be required here.

He shouldn't. The trail official is the one responsible for that call because he can easily see the clock and the shot. Baseline has the fouls on the block and the side official has behind the player and off ball. ZERO reason for the trail official to even LOOK at the clock.

What if the Newark team just doesn't play Camden and schedules with Manasquan, gets 3 refs like any other high school game and plays?

Really the HS should be doing the right thing. Its like if they won fball because they got an extra down by mistake.. Own up to the mistake.

Camden kids learn lesson in good faith and fair dealing:

ttps://nypost.com/2024/03/09/sports/camden-dominates-in-nj-hs-title-game-manasquan-gives-standing-ovation/

If this happened to Syracuse and we got into the National Championship game, would Cuse forfeit or would you expect it to?

Personally, if Syracuse benefitted from this exact situation where it was blatantly obvious that a shot should have counted for the other team, I could not celebrate, buy any championship gear, etc. I'd feel like a schmuck celebrating or wearing a championship T-shirt knowing that my team really didn't win. They just benefited from a horrendous call. There's bad calls all this time, but this was egregious.

I'm sure the Camden kids are happy they won states, but I have to believe they know its tainted.

Personally, if Syracuse benefitted from this exact situation where it was blatantly obvious that a shot should have counted for the other team, I could not celebrate, buy any championship gear, etc. I'd feel like a schmuck celebrating or wearing a championship T-shirt knowing that my team really didn't win. They just benefited from a horrendous call. There's bad calls all this time, but this was egregious.

I'm sure the Camden kids are happy they won states, but I have to believe they know its tainted.
This was not a bad call. A bad call would have been waiving it no good in the first place. This was cheating.

I’m sure I’m in the minority here, but I don’t understand some of the comments that are almost questioning Camden and asking them to concede defeat. It wasn’t their fault, it was on the officials who messed up.

And let’s be clear, all of us saw 5 seconds of a 32 minute game. While the call at the end of the game was the most consequential, there were other important calls that either did (or did not) go against Camden. None of us know.

Not to mention, if Syracuse won a title on a bad call, we’d all be working overtime to find a way to justify it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom