OT - NYK | Syracusefan.com

OT - NYK

Melo scored 9 points and they beat the Spurs in San Antonio. Another big test later tonight against Memphis.

Melo scored 9 points and they beat the Spurs in San Antonio. Another big test later tonight against Memphis.

Was talking with a buddy before the game last night; half jokingly said if they won the next two they should start planning the parade.

Pretty amazing start.

I never thought I would see a Knicks team that you knew could get a stop at the end of the game when they need to. The defensive intensity on this team is just sick at times.

Shump will fit in beautifully with this team but i'm torn on Amare. On one hand he better play defense and pass the ball otherwise he's going to find himself on the bench, but on the other hand in a game against an elite team like SA, where they gameplan to completely take Melo out of the game, the pick n roll with Felton and Amare could be incredible.

If Woodson can make this work, sky is the limit.

I never thought I would see a Knicks team that you knew could get a stop at the end of the game when they need to. The defensive intensity on this team is just sick at times.

Shump will fit in beautifully with this team but i'm torn on Amare. On one hand he better play defense and pass the ball otherwise he's going to find himself on the bench, but on the other hand in a game against an elite team like SA, where they gameplan to completely take Melo out of the game, the pick n roll with Felton and Amare could be incredible.

The defense was good last year; seems to have been taken up a notch this year. I said to a friend when Amare got hurt that the best case would be the Knicks play awesome and they can bring him off the bench when he gets back. The floor is too compressed when you have Melo/Amare/Chandler out there for extended periods of time, IMO.

I do agree on Felton/Amare; my plan would be to try and have Felton play with Amare as part of the second unit as much as possible to work that pnr game.

Get rid of Amare and get a dead eye 2g or an animal on the boards PF.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The defense was good last year; seems to have been taken up a notch this year. I said to a friend when Amare got hurt that the best case would be the Knicks play awesome and they can bring him off the bench when he gets back. The floor is too compressed when you have Melo/Amare/Chandler out there for extended periods of time, IMO.

I do agree on Felton/Amare; my plan would be to try and have Felton play with Amare as part of the second unit as much as possible to work that pnr game.
When Shump and Amare both come back I think the ideal rotation would be something like this:

Felton/Kidd/Shump/Melo/Chandler

6th man-JR Smith (comes in for one of the 3 guards)

7th man-Amare (comes in for Melo/Chandler)

Novak/Rasheed/Brewer/Camby/Prigioni/KT. Some will play, some will get DNP's depending on matchups.

Was talking with a buddy before the game last night; half jokingly said if they won the next two they should start planning the parade.

Pretty amazing start.
The way they won that game was more surprising and telling than anything they had done previously. I didn't see that last 7 minutes coming. This could be a serious team.

Wouldn't it be awesome if someone wanted a max contract player who is always injured and might not have any cartiledge left in one knee. We can only dream

Best.team.in.the.NBA... I can't believe how many people didn't see this coming. This team is a freight train of greatness.

I just hope they don't force feed Amare into the starting lineup due to his contract. I think his days of starting are over but I could see him running a mean pick and roll game with that Argentinan point guard on the 2nd team. There aren't many backup lineups that can handle that.

Please Dolan stay the out of this and let Woodson do the right thing.

Wouldn't it be awesome if someone wanted a max contract player who is always injured and might not have any cartiledge left in one knee. We can only dream

So you're saying we need to figure out a way to get Isiah hired by another team?

The way they won that game was more surprising and telling than anything they had done previously. I didn't see that last 7 minutes coming. This could be a serious team.

Agreed; my text to a friend right after Splitter put them up 12 was smething like "no shame that they can't win at San Antonio. If they play them again in San Antonio it'll be a good season". The second part is still true, but I guess I was wrong about the first part.

My guess is they won't make 12 3's a game and shoot 43% on them, but they are #2 in defensive efficiency. They were 5th last year; they may not finish #2 (but they might) but I would bet on a repeat top 5 finish. I said somewhere around 50 wins before the season (48 maybe?) but I feel like as this point I should bump that up at least to 53 or so.

The most amazing thing is the turnovers; they turned it over on 25% of their possessions last year; that's down to 10% this year. 10% is clearly unsustainable, but they won't be toward the bottom of the league this year. Kinda like SU last year.

And let's not forget his contract being uninsured!

JR Smith finally gets it. Instead of clubbing during the week, he's focused on fine tuning his skills. Got to respect anyone who realizes they need a lifestyle change to achieve a better goal. It's good for the NBA when the Knicks are good.

If they somehow ever got rid of amare for a great rebounder (Faried? Klove? Varejao?) this team would be...well i don't even know. Cleveland has a TON of cap space. maybe they can pull off that Amare for Andy trade?
Amare would be good in cleveland too.. albeit making their defense even worse. If that's possible

Can't agree more. I remember watching the Knicks under D'Antoni and thinking about how much I hated my favorite team. Time after time, they would fail to make up ground at the end of games because they were just trading buckets.

This team has the feel of the old, hard-nosed 90's teams. Chants of DEFENSE filling the Garden once again!

JR Smith finally gets it. Instead of clubbing during the week, he's focused on fine tuning his skills. Got to respect anyone who realizes they need a lifestyle change to achieve a better goal. It's good for the NBA when the Knicks are good.

He has been one of the key reasons why they are playing so well. He seems to be really focused right now. He is shooting lights out and is playing sick D.

I am happy for Melo, but worried like everyone, when Amare comes back. Two huge egos on the floor at the same time. Neither of them like seeing the other take the spotlight.

They have a very good 2 in JR. They need to get another big.

Felton is also playing ridiculous.

If they somehow ever got rid of amare for a great rebounder (Faried? Klove? Varejao?) this team would be...well i don't even know. Cleveland has a TON of cap space. maybe they can pull off that Amare for Andy trade?
Amare would be good in cleveland too.. albeit making their defense even worse. If that's possible

That's not how the NBA works... this isn't fantasy hoops. "Give me Kenneth Faried, a young up and coming star who makes no money...and we'll give you back this dead weight anchor that makes 18 million...ok, thanks"

I think Amare will buy in once he gets back. Woodson has clout and all their respect- he doesn't hesitate to sit someone if they don't play defense & NY'ers absolutely love that.
This is feeling like the NY Knickerbockers some of us grew up with, tough hard-nosed D, and crisp team ball.
If the Knicks were to win the Championship, the city would go BANANAS!!!!
nuts2.gif

That's not how the NBA works... this isn't fantasy hoops. "Give me Kenneth Faried, a young up and coming star who makes no money...and we'll give you back this dead weight anchor that makes 18 million...ok, thanks"

I said Varajao (30 years old). The cav's have been trying to trade him for the past 2 years and have enough cap space to eat Amare's contract. Amare would add a true stretch 4 to spread the floor for irving and waiters to drive. would there be any defense on the floor? No. But there isn't right now either.

Remember when a vocal section of "NBA fans" were ranting about how the Knicks gave up too much for Melo and about how Denver was loaded now and better off after the deal? Hilarious.

I said Varajao (30 years old). The cav's have been trying to trade him for the past 2 years and have enough cap space to eat Amare's contract. Amare would add a true stretch 4 to spread the floor for irving and waiters to drive. would there be any defense on the floor? No. But there isn't right now either.

I think a true stretch 4 needs to make a lot of 3's.

I don't see Cleveland doing that one. They want to open up cap space, not spend it on a guy like Amare.

Remember when a vocal section of "NBA fans" were ranting about how the Knicks gave up too much for Melo and about how Denver was loaded now and better off after the deal?

I think it might still be true that the Knicks gave up too much because they seemed to have the leverage and then seemed to throw it away. Denver has pretty much been the same team since they lost Melo as they were when they had him, so maybe not better off, but don't seem to be any worse off.

I don't think they'd go for that at all.

Regarding the Knicks team, it's been great to watch. I think they're probably still stuck competing for 2nd place in the East, but that's better than I was expecting this year anyways. Hopefully Felton can keep up his level of play, he's obviously one of the keys to the team.

I still don't think the Knicks can handle Miami in a 7 game series though. But they should be able to at least make it to the 2nd round of the playoffs this year, if not to the ECF.

Nah they might not. It was just a thought. Also they have so much open cap space at the moment that they are actually below the minimum and are going to have to pay the difference anyway.

I always figured a stretch big was someone who could hit shots 16-18 feet away. just far enough to unclog the lane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom