OT - Price gouging at the dome | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT - Price gouging at the dome

Ugh ofcourse I had to be on call this weekend, I bet the energy was incredible iv never seen a concert with 34,000 people. Honky chateau is one of my favorite albums of all time.
It was very loud at times. Elton wanted a loud crowd.

I'd have killed for a $12 beer at the Bills game Thurs night. $19 beers were a new record for me.
$19???? How big of a beer and what kind?

Attachments

• IMG-20220908-WA0029.jpeg
    IMG-20220908-WA0029.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 81
Saw Elton at the War Memorial in the early 70’s. Had seats in the 5th row on the floor and back then the cost was pretty cheap (less than $10). He was awesome, had the place going crazy. He was very young, I was even younger just in college. He’s a phenomenal pianist but he was very athletic back then in his early concerts. He would jump from the floor to the piano bench all while playing then somehow catapult himself on top of the piano, bend down facing the keyboard playing backwards, playing and singing. He’d even play doing short handstands. He was like some young musical savant, part acrobat. He put on an awesome show earning like 4 encore returns with his fingers bleeding from playing. Unbelievable energy level.

It was an amazing enough night back then but because many of the concert goers were smoking (legal and illegal), a plume of smoke was all throughout the War Memorial. As a result, they opened the side stage doors to the outside allowing people to breathe and anyone on State St to hear a free concert. Unforgettable, fun concert - only 3 people on stage creating all that music - a drummer named Nigel Olsen, a guitar player (can’t recall his name) and Elton John at the piano and encore after encore. Generous entertainer with his time.

Hope he finished his career in Syracuse even half as exciting as his concert around 1971 was.

Saw Elton at the War Memorial in the early 70’s. Had seats in the 5th row on the floor and back then the cost was pretty cheap (less than $10). He was awesome, had the place going crazy. He was very young, I was even younger just in college. He’s a phenomenal pianist but he was very athletic back then in his early concerts. He would jump from the floor to the piano bench all while playing then somehow catapult himself on top of the piano, bend down facing the keyboard, all while playing and singing. He’d even play doing short handstands while playing. He was like some young musical savant, part acrobat. He put on an awesome show earning like 4 encore returns with his fingers bleeding from playing. Unbelievable energy level.

It was an amazing enough night back then but because many of the concert goers were smoking (legal and illegal), a plume of smoke was all throughout the War Memorial. As a result, they opened the side stage doors to the outside allowing people to breathe and anyone on State St to hear a free concert. Unforgettable, fun concert - only 3 people on stage creating all that music - a drummer named Nigel Olsen, a guitar player (can’t recall his name) and Elton John at the piano and encore after encore. Generous entertainer with his time.

Hope he finished his career in Syracuse even half as exciting as his concert around 1971 was.
Nigel Olsen was on the drums tonight. Elton mentioned that he was one of the originals.

Saw Elton at the War Memorial in the early 70’s. Had seats in the 5th row on the floor and back then the cost was pretty cheap (less than $10). He was awesome, had the place going crazy. He was very young, I was even younger just in college. He’s a phenomenal pianist but he was very athletic back then in his early concerts. He would jump from the floor to the piano bench all while playing then somehow catapult himself on top of the piano, bend down facing the keyboard playing backwards, playing and singing. He’d even play doing short handstands. He was like some young musical savant, part acrobat. He put on an awesome show earning like 4 encore returns with his fingers bleeding from playing. Unbelievable energy level.

Because that’s what cocaine does.

How was the sound?
Pretty good actually. Was expecting a lot worse. McCartney was terrible sound. You could here an echo from the corners, where we sat for McCartney, maybe that was the difference?

Our course was charging like $25 a pitcher this year before there was a revolt..

Probably the best concert I have ever been to, no hyperbole! He was amazing. Just incredible, and to think he is 76 years old. Wow. He said goodbye, farewell… and how much he appreciated NY. Just a great experience
I saw Elton warm up for Zepplin in the War Memorial in 1971.

Pretty good actually. Was expecting a lot worse. McCartney was terrible sound. You could here an echo from the corners, where we sat for McCartney, maybe that was the difference?

I actually got more echo last night than for Paul. Sound was generally good, though.

Never saw a show with the stage in the east end zone before.

Was Davey Johnstone the guitarist? He was there last night as well.

Elton mentioned the War Memorial show (numbers got garbled, might have said that was his 6th show in New York State, while last night was his 150-somethingth and last).

He was moving around the stage like an old man last night but his energy level was darn good considering.

Elton mentioned the War Memorial show (numbers got garbled, might have said that was his 6th show in New York State, while last night was his 150-somethingth and last).

He was moving around the stage like an old man last night but his energy level was darn good considering.
He opened for Derek and the Dominoes show at WM his first in Syr w Davey and Nigel

He’s had problems from hip surgery I believe.

I saw Elton warm up for Zepplin in the War Memorial in 1971.
He warmed up for lots of acts. My college roommate saw him in late 1970 at the Fillmore East as a warm up act for Leon Rogers and was blown away by Elton John. It was in Dec of 1970 when he warmed up for Derek and the Dominos at the War Memorial but was the featured act by Sept of 1971 on a beautiful night also at the War Memorial. I saw that second concert. I looked up this link to get the actual date details (I’m getting old ) .

The venues and record companies lost a lot of concert revenue during Covid. They WILL get that money back. I think I paid $12 the other day for a seltzer. A seltzer. No free water available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom