Class of 2018 - OT Qadir White (NY) SIGNED NLI to SYRACUSE | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 OT Qadir White (NY) SIGNED NLI to SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I hope the SU administration and Wildhack will use some of the ACC TV money to give Babers a big pay raise. We cannot afford to lose another head coach/staff especially this one who has proven they can convince players that Syracuse football is on the way back to the Top 25.
Increase the salary and jack up the buyout.

Reel in a 5-star? When was the last time, or was there even one since they were invented?

I cannot recall and do not believe there was a 5-star designation in 1982, but Tim Green from Liverpool H.S. was a tremendously coveted national recruit who elected to stay home and anchor the Orangemen defensive line for our beloved Coach Mac teams. We do not beat #1 Nebraska in 1984 17-9 without Tim Green anchoring the defense against the then vaunted Nebraska rushing game.

If you ever wanted to discover a pivot point in Syracuse becoming a nationally respected football team and recruiting force again in the post Ben era, Tim Green measured by todays standards would have been like the DaJuan Coleman BB recruiting saga if put in today's proper perspective.

Dear Qadir,

000d00037932cbadedc3de65e9c9c682.jpg

So...

Way premature, but what the heck: do Sampson and White start as true frosh?

Not hard to envision Sampson starting at C, with White stepping in and being an upgrade over McGloster at RT for a season, before shifting over to LT for the remainder of his career.

Smith was top 100.

Dulayne Morgan was a 1st Team USA AA and prep star dream teamer so he would've been a 5 star today.

Coach P had a couple of great line hauls but I don't remember names without looking. There was a highly rated OL kid from New Jersey who ended up flaming out but he was pretty highly rated at the time. Wellington maybe?

Brinkley, Harrison 1st team parade AA. The DT from Henninger was also a first team Parade all American. I forget his name think he ended up dropping out his first year. He was a big time get that year.

I cannot recall and do not believe there was a 5-star designation in 1982, but Tim Green from Liverpool H.S. was a tremendously coveted national recruit who elected to stay home and anchor the Orangemen defensive line for our beloved Coach Mac teams. We do not beat #1 Nebraska in 1984 17-9 without Tim Green anchoring the defense against the then vaunted Nebraska rushing game.

If you ever wanted to discover a pivot point in Syracuse becoming a nationally respected football team and recruiting force again in the post Ben era, Tim Green measured by todays standards would have been like the DaJuan Coleman BB recruiting saga if put in today's proper perspective.
So far the consensus on the latest seems to be Johnnie Morant. But Tim Green would be a 5 star, Michael Owens, etc. The Nebraska game was what got me really hooked on SU football, Pearl's BC 1/2 courter - basketball ... was attending SU those days.

So...

Not hard to envision Sampson starting at C, with White stepping in and being an upgrade over McGloster at RT for a season, before shifting over to LT for the remainder of his career.

Very hard for true frosh OL to start right away.

Our OL right now looks like this:

56 Liam O'Sullivan OL 6-8 270 R-Fr. Chicago, Ill. / Maine South
57 Dakota Davis OL 6-5 315 Fr. Mount Airy, Md. / Glenelg
58 Donnie Foster OL 6-3 314 R-Jr. Savannah, Ga. / IMG Academy (Fla.)
59 Aaron Roberts OL 6-4 297 R-Jr. Chicago, Ill. / De La Salle Institute
60 Cody Conway OL 6-6 296 Jr. Plainfield, Ill. / Plainfield North
61 Samuel Clausman OL 6-3 331 R-So. Pembroke Pines, Fla. / St. Thomas Aquinas
63 Evan Adams OL 6-6 338 R-So. Norwalk, Conn. / Norwalk
64 Colin Byrne OL 6-5 299 R-So. Coral Springs, Fla. / St. Thomas Aquinas
65 Jamar McGloster OL 6-7 309 R-Sr. Hillside, N.J. / Saint Anthony
66 Austin Chandler OL 6-4 290 Fr. Los Angeles, Calif. / Loyola
68 Airon Servais OL 6-6 305 R-Fr. Green Bay, Wis. / Ashwaubenon
69 Patrick Davis OL 6-5 320 Fr. Gatineau, Quebec, Canada / Champlain Regional
71 Keaton Darney OL 6-3 285 R-Jr. Los Angeles, Calif. / Loyola
72 Andrejas Duerig OL 6-3 321 R-So. Lowell, Ind. / Mount Carmel
75 Sam Heckel OL 6-4 292 R-Fr. Waukesha, Wis. / Waukesha West
77 Mike Clark OL 6-8 292 R-Fr. Exton, Pa. / Downingtown East

Only lose McGloster off the roster from next year. Should have Roberts back next year, too. Going to be tough to crack the lineup but if they're good enough, I have no doubt they'll play.

Smith was top 100.

Dulayne Morgan was a 1st Team USA AA and prep star dream teamer so he would've been a 5 star today.

Coach P had a couple of great line hauls but I don't remember names without looking. There was a highly rated OL kid from New Jersey who ended up flaming out but he was pretty highly rated at the time. Wellington maybe?

Brinkley, Harrison 1st team parade AA. The DT from Henninger was also a first team Parade all American. I forget his name think he ended up dropping out his first year. He was a big time get that year.

Chris Buda was actually rated pretty highly. Didn't pan out but I'm pretty sure he was a prep star dream teamer too. He may have been our highest rated OL recruit of the past 30 years.

So...

Student body right following Adams and White? Yes please...

So...

Can't see it. It'll take a heck of a lot to unseat Servais next year at center. Conway also starts at one tackle spot. Mike Clark and Liam OSullivan are the other tackles both with a lot of upside. Not sure yet where Dakota Davis slotted. I really like Clark. White will have to get in much better shape and streamline his body. If he enrols early that'll change things a little bit, but he will have a lot of experience in front of him. Maybe redshirt and step in for Conway the year after.

So far the consensus on the latest seems to be Johnnie Morant. But Tim Green would be a 5 star, Michael Owens, etc. The Nebraska game was what got me really hooked on SU football, Pearl's BC 1/2 courter - basketball ... was attending SU those days.

Johnnie Morant is definitely the last recruit we've had that would be considered a 5 star. No doubt about that. He was a top 25 Tom Lemming recruit. That was before Rivals and Rivals typically has 25 or so 5 stars a year.

Very hard for true frosh OL to start right away.

Our OL right now looks like this:

56 Liam O'Sullivan OL 6-8 270 R-Fr. Chicago, Ill. / Maine South
57 Dakota Davis OL 6-5 315 Fr. Mount Airy, Md. / Glenelg
58 Donnie Foster OL 6-3 314 R-Jr. Savannah, Ga. / IMG Academy (Fla.)
59 Aaron Roberts OL 6-4 297 R-Jr. Chicago, Ill. / De La Salle Institute
60 Cody Conway OL 6-6 296 Jr. Plainfield, Ill. / Plainfield North
61 Samuel Clausman OL 6-3 331 R-So. Pembroke Pines, Fla. / St. Thomas Aquinas
63 Evan Adams OL 6-6 338 R-So. Norwalk, Conn. / Norwalk
64 Colin Byrne OL 6-5 299 R-So. Coral Springs, Fla. / St. Thomas Aquinas
65 Jamar McGloster OL 6-7 309 R-Sr. Hillside, N.J. / Saint Anthony
66 Austin Chandler OL 6-4 290 Fr. Los Angeles, Calif. / Loyola
68 Airon Servais OL 6-6 305 R-Fr. Green Bay, Wis. / Ashwaubenon
69 Patrick Davis OL 6-5 320 Fr. Gatineau, Quebec, Canada / Champlain Regional
71 Keaton Darney OL 6-3 285 R-Jr. Los Angeles, Calif. / Loyola
72 Andrejas Duerig OL 6-3 321 R-So. Lowell, Ind. / Mount Carmel
75 Sam Heckel OL 6-4 292 R-Fr. Waukesha, Wis. / Waukesha West
77 Mike Clark OL 6-8 292 R-Fr. Exton, Pa. / Downingtown East

Only lose McGloster off the roster from next year. Should have Roberts back next year, too. Going to be tough to crack the lineup but if they're good enough, I have no doubt they'll play.
Maybe 15-20 years ago we had a kid (name started with O) who started all 4 years starting as a true Fr. Help me out here.

Maybe 15-20 years ago we had a kid (name started with O) who started all 4 years starting as a true Fr. Help me out here.
Quinn Ojunaku (sp?)

Can't see it. It'll take a heck of a lot to unseat Servais next year at center. Conway also starts at one tackle spot. Mike Clark and Liam OSullivan are the other tackles both with a lot of upside. Not sure yet where Dakota Davis slotted. I really like Clark. White will have to get in much better shape and streamline his body. If he enrols early that'll change things a little bit, but he will have a lot of experience in front of him. Maybe redshirt and step in for Conway the year after.

May the best players win the PT.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sampson supplant Servais, or shift him to guard to get the best group of interior linemen on the field at the same time. And if they end up redshirting -- bonus, that means that the incumbents are getting the job done. Will be interesting to see how Roberts fits into the mix when he returns, or if he gets lapped by younger players.

Bottom line: the future looks considerably brighter at OL than it has in a LONG time.

LOL I just checked and Qadir hasn't updated his Twitter from earlier this am.

I think Sampson will be our starting center from day 1, the kid is physically capable and really really good. I expect to see the right side of the line slide down or possibly see Servais move to RT with Adams staying at RG. I think White will redshirt and then compete for one of the tackle spots in 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom