Class of 2019 - OT Ryan Roberts (MI) Grad Transfer from NIU/Committed to FSU | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 OT Ryan Roberts (MI) Grad Transfer from NIU/Committed to FSU

Wowza...

That would be freaking incredible.
Incredibly good? Or incredible that we don't have enough talent on our team already better than a poor team's Honorable mention sunbelt conference all league and a part time starter on a Northern Illinois team? I don't know which.

The link to his page on NIU on has up to 2017 stats, does not say anything 2018.
All I could find was this
Roberts has started 10 games the last two years, including eight as a redshirt sophomore. The 6-foot-6, 297-pound tackle will be eligible to play in 2019 since he's transferring with his degree.

He could be a depth play. NIU isn't horrible... they are one of the top MAC teams. Competition is healthy.

Incredibly good? Or incredible that we don't have enough talent on our team already better than a poor team's Honorable mention sunbelt conference all league and a part time starter on a Northern Illinois team? I don't know which.

or, we don't have enough EXPERIENCED talent on the O Line so they want to bring these two kids in to give some veteran protection for Tommy, the inexperienced kids can get their feet wet and we can win 10 games again

An incredible boost to depth, to help bridge the time for when Babers recruited OL are more experienced and completely stock the pipeline.

It must be getting tough to keep seeing the glass as half full.

Either way it’s still better than plugging in a greenhorn.

Making all conference, in any conference, on a bad team is pretty good though. How many all-conference players have we had as a cellar dweller?

How is it a bad thing bringing in OL with experience and the right size?

Silly post. Seems like it was written out of boredom.

Either way it’s still better than plugging in a greenhorn.

Making all conference, in any conference, on a bad team is pretty good though. How many all-conference players have we had as a cellar dweller?

Correct. May the best players win spots in the two-deep.

I'm eager to see what the likes of both Davises, Froumy, White, and Vettorello can do. The cupboard is hardly as bare as the post above insinuates, but some of those players are unknown commodities. With another spring practice under their belts, some of these guys could push their way into the starting lineup, regardless of who else is brought in.

But today, right now, OT depth is questionable. Bringing in experienced players to bolster depth and push the incumbents is smart. The NFL is filled with players from the Sun Belt and MAC -- I wouldn't be so quick to write off either prospect based upon where they played.

Seriously?

Correct. May the best players win spots in the two-deep.

I'm eager to see what the likes of both Davises, Froumy, White, and Vettorello can do. The cupboard is hardly as bare as the post above insinuates, but some of those players are unknown commodities. With another spring practice under their belts, some of these guys could push their way into the starting lineup, regardless of who else is brought in.

But today, right now, OT depth is questionable. Bringing in experienced players to bolster depth and push the incumbents is smart. The NFL is filled with players from the Sun Belt and MAC -- I wouldn't be so quick to write off either prospect based upon where they played.

Feel the exact same way.

I’ll add it’s good from a competition and depth standpoint. Raises everyone’s game and kids currently on the roster may still win the jobs. But these one or two kids plus Tisdale is a win win. No promises will be made to anybody.

re the whole grad transfer thing, what did people expect? At least I know I never expected to be landing some top flight P5 OT multi year starter as a transfer. It’s just not likely to happen and would we be better off with a kid from a 1-12 rutgers type team? Not really.

Just remember...22-23 year old guys are preferable over most 19-20 year old guys

tenor.gif

Its ok to disagree with me. I am surprised people are pushing a depth play where we already have players. We need starters. Koda Martin level talent not Sun Belt losing record 3-9. with a poor offense, 101/130 in the country.
We need starters not depth.

Do we want experience or do we want talent.

How is anybody going to find a way to complain about adding depth? One 10 win season and we’re too good to add a player from outside of power 5? That doesn’t even make sense. Qadir White is a 4 star tackle and the future anchor of our line, but he’s not ready yet. I’d rather add a seasoned vet to start for a season then throw a player in before he’s ready.

Just remember...22-23 year old guys are preferable over most 19-20 year old guys
I dunno I guess I was expecting guys like the Davises to be ready. Patty is 23 already and Dakota is 21

Its ok to disagree with me. I am surprised people are pushing a depth play where we already have players. We need starters. Koda Martin level talent not Sun Belt losing record 3-9. with a poor offense, 101/130 in the country.
We need starters not depth.

He could be all world, but if the rest of the line, let alone the offense is poor, the team still won't do well. I can't judge talent as far as O-linemen, but it strikes me that other, lesser talent, could make him look worse pretty easily. He may have been much better than honorable mention if he had better players around him. But I'm just playing Devil's advocate to your post.