OT: Sat Next to Mike Tirico at dinner tnite | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Sat Next to Mike Tirico at dinner tnite

Well, UNC did it with Guthridge and went to 2 final 4’s in 3 years.

But that was a long time assistant being promoted to take over a loaded team that he’d already been working with. So, very different in that regard.

But the similarity is you knew it would only be for a few years and also that he was the best guy for the job in the short term. Do you always HAVE to hire a guy hoping he’ll be there long term - even though most coaches aren’t anywhere long term?

A short term hire that you know going in will be short term is unconventional, but not necessarily a bad thing.
Guthridge was 60

Guthridge was 60
I…..really think he was like 80. If he was truly supposedly 60….I think has gotta be one of those doctored birth certificate things? Cmon:

th

My mind is truly blown. 60???? Wow.

RobVTX I spent my first 29 in Palermo. Sometimes it's fun to laugh at ourselves and the perception others have of us. I wen't to Mexico High School, so, if you went to Phoenix, of course that means I must be superior to you.

That is true. I know this because I graduated from MACS in 1986.

That is true. I know this because I graduated from MACS in 1986.
Well, evidently you still can’t spell out Mexico Academy and Central Schools, so I wouldn’t brag about the school district. ;)
I will say this: I love the high school building. The exterior could be used in a movie. (Cato-Meridian’s is similar).

Well, evidently you still can’t spell out Mexico Academy and Central Schools, so I wouldn’t brag about the school district. ;)
I will say this: I love the high school building. The exterior could be used in a movie. (Cato-Meridian’s is similar).
During a class reunion my classmates and I took a tour of the school after a big addition and learned a bunch of history we took for granted while in school. The design of the original school was intentional to give a bunch of poor country farmer's kids pride in going to school. The mural that surrounds the upper level of the central stair case was donated and I believe they said is only one of two of its kind that exist.

I wonder if it was a MACS grad that screwed up the abbreviation for USA too?

Why would you ever consider hiring a 70 year old coach? That would be insane.
Can he put a system in place that works and will excite players, fans and recruits? Check… I’ve been reading blood in the garden during the holidays and there is a sentence in there about his Pitino’s strategy of high pressure and bombs away was ahead of it’s time in the 90s. It’s perfect for this day and age.

Can he recruit? Seems like recruiting was always his strong point and I bet he would have killed it in the transfer portal era.

Can he hire a staff and find a successor in 3 to 5 years? I’m sure if the AD said upfront hey Rick this is a 5 year deal max and you get a bonus for hiring a successor this could work.

Is he hireable? He’s coaching now so there’s no show cause, right?

Not saying hiring Pitino is the right or wrong thing to do, but there are reasons to support hiring him.

Andy Kennedy would be a good candidate.

Last edited:
During a class reunion my classmates and I took a tour of the school after a big addition and learned a bunch of history we took for granted while in school. The design of the original school was intentional to give a bunch of poor country farmer's kids pride in going to school. The mural that surrounds the upper level of the central stair case was donated and I believe they said is only one of two of its kind that exist.

I wonder if it was a MACS grad that screwed up the abbreviation for USA too?
The other mural is in the White House. Click the link for a brief history of the high school. I found this link many years ago and look at it once in a while. You are correct, we took so much for granted when we were young.

High School History

Can he put a system in place that works and will excite players, fans and recruits? Check… I’ve been reading blood in the garden during the holidays and there is a sentence in there about his Pitino’s strategy of high pressure and bombs away was ahead of it’s time in the 90s. It’s perfect for this day and age.

Can he recruit? Seems like recruiting was always his strong point and I bet he would have killed it in the transfer portal era.

Can he hire a staff and find a successor in 3 to 5 years? I’m sure if the AD said upfront hey Rick this is a 5 year deal max and you get a bonus for hiring a successor this could work.

Not saying hiring Pitino is the right or wrong thing to do, but there are reasons to support hiring him.
Well said.

So, ALL the complaints about age specifically that have been applied to JB - Father time is undefeated, essentially everyone after 65 begins to lose steam when it comes to energy & commitment, lack of connection with the recruits, growing tired & losing the fire, grinding on the recruiting trail, etc. DON'T apply to Pitino? Why?

It's also not like he's setting the world on fire at Iona, there's really been nothing noteworthy of his coaching tenure there so far. He's been decent to good, but you could find other coaches at the same level currently that are 30 years younger who are seeing the same success. It just doesn't make sense. Sheesh.

Edit: And this idea of Pitino with a selected successor... come on, has that EVER happened in NCAA college basketball history, ever? To hire a coach with a Coach in waiting as a part of the hire?! The way it's described in here like "oh yeah, that's easy" - who is this alleged coach in waiting? Is he on Iona's staff? Are you trying to shoehorn a random other coach into it? Why not just hire a new coach who's ready to go without all that shenanigans? SO MUCH of that plan could go wrong, with so many variables. Make it make sense!

So, ALL the complaints about age specifically that have been applied to JB - Father time is undefeated, essentially everyone after 65 begins to lose steam when it comes to energy & commitment, lack of connection with the recruits, growing tired & losing the fire, grinding on the recruiting trail, etc. DON'T apply to Pitino? Why?

It's also not like he's setting the world on fire at Iona, there's really been nothing noteworthy of his coaching tenure there so far. He's been decent to good, but you could find other coaches at the same level currently that are 30 years younger who are seeing the same success. It just doesn't make sense. Sheesh.

Edit: And this idea of Pitino with a selected successor... come on, has that EVER happened in NCAA college basketball history, ever? To hire a coach with a Coach in waiting as a part of the hire?! The way it's described in here like "oh yeah, that's easy" - who is this alleged coach in waiting? Is he on Iona's staff? Are you trying to shoehorn a random other coach into it? Why not just hire a new coach who's ready to go without all that shenanigans? SO MUCH of that plan could go wrong, with so many variables. Make it make sense!
Well said!

Your point about age is spot on. If Pitino is the next hire, you are basically telling JB, “it’s you not me” because the message is that it’s not age itself, it’s the entire state of the program.

Your point about age is spot on. If Pitino is the next hire, you are basically telling JB, “it’s you not me” because the message is that it’s not age itself, it’s the entire state of the program.
I agree. Hiring Pitino is a slap in JB's face - which he certainly does not deserve after all these years - unless JB endorses it.

SMU did it with Larry Brown and Tim Jankovich

Nothing personal, but if that’s the choice, I’d rather have a top 10 program that can recruit.

This is the first good team Hurley has ever had at UConn. He’s done jack there.

Let’s wait and see if they get bounced by a 15 seed with him getting tossed out, before we anoint him. He’s had 2 good months in 5 years there.
UConn has beaten 1 ranked team this year.

UConn has beaten 1 ranked team this year.
I hate UConn more than ISIS, but as of today they have four Quad 1 wins and three Quad 2 wins. They're #1 in the NET rankings.

I hate UConn more than ISIS, but as of today they have four Quad 1 wins and three Quad 2 wins. They're #1 in the NET rankings.
They play Villanova tonight. Villanova has won five straight since their injured freshman returned. He’s projected as a top five pick.

They play Villanova tonight. Villanova has won five straight since their injured freshman returned. He’s projected as a top five pick.
Yukon favored by 12.5 at home. See if Nova can make some noise.