OT: Sat Next to Mike Tirico at dinner tnite | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Sat Next to Mike Tirico at dinner tnite

I don't know. 15 years as HC. Three NCAA tourney appearances with one win. Not much success.

Saw his UAB team play a couple times, they look good, he looked focused. When he was HC at Ole Miss, the SEC wasn't much of a basketball conference and Miss wasn't any kind of recruiting team. He's still young at 54 with a lot of experience.

Someone explain to me why Pitino makes sense. He’s going to be 71 at the start of next season. It’s the same conversation with Boeheim. How much longer is he going to coach.

And don’t say he’s a stop gap and can coach for 2 more years. How the he** do you expect him to recruit knowing that he isn’t going to be head by the players junior year.

Pitino makes ZERO sense.

And Syracuse has beaten how many? I’ll wait. What’s our record against UCOnn in the Hurley era? Where did the head to head recruits wind up?
Who has won more tourney games?

And we’ve sucked.

Hurley hasn’t done squat.

Watching the Villanova and Huskies game shows how much a loss Jackson was to this program. He does all the little things for UCONN. He flat out hustles every minute he’s in the game. He plays so hard and goes after the ball. Clingam looks good too.

Watching the Villanova and Huskies game shows how much a loss Jackson was to this program. He does all the little things for UCONN. He flat out hustles every minute he’s in the game. He plays so hard and goes after the ball. Clingam looks good too.
He’s what Benny Williams was supposed to be.

Your point about age is spot on. If Pitino is the next hire, you are basically telling JB, “it’s you not me” because the message is that it’s not age itself, it’s the entire state of the program.
Awkward Jesse Pinkman GIF by Breaking Bad

Someone explain to me why Pitino makes sense. He’s going to be 71 at the start of next season. It’s the same conversation with Boeheim. How much longer is he going to coach.

And don’t say he’s a stop gap and can coach for 2 more years. How the he** do you expect him to recruit knowing that he isn’t going to be head by the players junior year.

Pitino makes ZERO sense.
I

DON'T

CARE

Your point about age is spot on. If Pitino is the next hire, you are basically telling JB, “it’s you not me” because the message is that it’s not age itself, it’s the entire state of the program.

Well, I think the majority of folks (sans the ones close to him, personal relationships, etc.) can see that it's JB/state of the program. It's pretty darn apparent IMO.

JB obviously is very knowledgeable, and has experienced great success over the years, etc., no one can objectively argue otherwise. However, the game, along with the environment in which it's played, has changed significantly. And, JB is too set in his ways (as many others are at that particular age) to WANT to adapt accordingly. It is simply too much effort to do so.

With his unwillingness and rigidity to change/adapt with the times, combined with his high level of stubbornness, proudful attributes, etc., his team's 'new normal' level witnessed for multiple years now will remain status quo until he finally steps away.

Last edited:
Well, I think the majority of folks (sans the ones close to him, personal relationships, etc.) can see that it's JB/state of the program. It's pretty darn obvious IMO.

JB obviously is very knowledgeable, and has great success over the years, etc., no one can objectively argue otherwise. However, the game, and the environment in which it's played, has changed significantly. And, JB is too set in his ways (as many others are at that particular age) to WANT to adapt accordingly. It's is simply too much effort to do so.

With his unwillingness to change/adapt with the times, combined with his high level of stubbornness, proudful attributes, etc., his team's 'new normal' level witnessed for multiple years now will remain status quo until he finally steps away.
Are also saying that due to Pitino's age the same ?

Your argument is about 10 years too late. All good players are now on 1-year NIL contracts. Nobody stays 3 years unless they have nowhere else to go. Huge roster turnover is now the norm every year.

Are also saying that due to Pitino's age the same ?

Not necessarily. For one, relative to how the game has changed (so many more players, stretch 4 types, etc. capable of shooting from distance) Pitino doesn’t/wouldn’t stay with a primary defense that is so deficient in today’s game.

I also don’t believe Pitino is anywhere near as rigid relative to using the portal, etc.

JB’s “system” type program served him/SU well for years, but so did dial up once upon a time, but that model is obsolete today.

If you told me there’d be a 9-page thread that started with “sat next to Mike Tirico at dinner”, I would never have predicted it would take this path.
But every thread eventually takes this path.

I could start a thread titled "what's the favorite Christmas gift you ever received" or "what do you think of the new Avatar movie" and they will eventually get here.

If you told me there’d be a 9-page thread that started with “sat next to Mike Tirico at dinner”, I would never have predicted it would take this path.

Actually, it’s rather predictable and quite easy connecting the dots if you paid any attention to the crux of the OP’s post. It’s right there all alone and clear to see in the last paragraph.

I started a thread asking Tomcat if he wanted me to save bacon grease for him. It went on for over 100 posts. Wandered all over the place, but it was fun
Not the same place where most of the threads lead on the basketball forum. :cool:

I am personally not optimistic about SU basketball life post-JB. The new landscape will make it increasingly difficult to recruit to CNY, and the really good coaches will go where the money is, and that is not CNY. I hope to be wrong.

Any place that can average over 20,000 attendance will have the attention of an NIL agent.