OT: Simpsons mock Upstate NY | Syracusefan.com

OT: Simpsons mock Upstate NY

George-Costanza-Popcorn.gif

Here for the replies.

I never watch the Simpsons, but that spot is actually pretty clever. However, they sure picked the wrong place when they put "Niskayuna" on that water tower as the symbol of a decaying area. Niskayuna is the home of the GE R&D Center which probably employs more PhDs than any place in NY except for major universities.

Last edited:
I never watch the Simpsons, but that is actually pretty clever. However, they sure picked wrong place when they put "Niskayuna" as the symbol of a decaying area on that water tower. Niskayuna is the home of the GE R&D Center which probably employs more PhDs than any place in NY except for major universities.
when i was in college everyone from home went nuts over a reference to the batavia meat packers union ordering a bunch of pretzels from marge

i can't believe the show is still on

That's harsh. I haven't been back in 28 years. Always loved CNY and all the surrounding areas. Might be time to come back and find a nice place on a lake.

Lol. that hit below the belt, I used to work at Kodak in Bldg 53, one of the last to be demoed. I have also posted several images of decaying bridges here in Rochester on Gov Cuomo's Twitter feed. I stopped doing it because it didn't seem to do any good. Upstate NY could be the worst place to live in America if it weren't for great housing prices due at least in part to so many people moving out.

Lol. that hit below the belt, I used to work at Kodak in Bldg 53, one of the last to be demoed. I have also posted several images of decaying bridges here in Rochester on Gov Cuomo's Twitter feed. I stopped doing it because it didn't seem to do any good. Upstate NY could be the worst place to live in America if it weren't for great housing prices due at least in part to so many people moving out.

:rolleyes:

They showed the Headless Horseman as a sign of a decaying upstate NY? The cheapest single family home on the market in Sleepy Hollow right now is $700K and the town is located in mid-Westchester County.

Otherwise, hilarious and pretty much on point.

They showed the Headless Horseman as a sign of a decaying upstate NY? The cheapest single family home on the market in Sleepy Hollow right now is $700K and the town is located in mid-Westchester County.

Otherwise, hilarious and pretty much on point.

One of the high schools down my way in Columbia County is Ichabod Crane. Sports teams are called "the Riders." Supposedly Washington Irving wrote The Headless Horseman tale while residing in Kinderhook. Then, there's Palenville over in Greene County that calls itself the real "Sleepy Hollow." From the looks of those mountains in the Simpsons episode I'd have to say the view is from the east side of the Hudson River. And, then, as you say, there is North Tarrytown, which "rebranded" itself as Sleepy Hollow a few years back.

And, then, as you say, there is North Tarrytown, which "rebranded" itself as Sleepy Hollow a few years back.

I guess so, but that town that “rebranded” itself as Sleepy Hollow is the town that’s internationally associated with and recognized as the location of the story of the headless horseman, the home of the old dutch church and graveyard, and the town that fits the description of “a few miles from Tarrytown” as described in Irving’s story.

Why do you feel that way?

I don't consider Sleepy Hollow or the Borscht belt to be upstate NY things.

I think they were grasping at straws trying to find things to make fun of. Not their finest moment but at this point, it looks like they are really hurting to find new material.

Maybe Homer needs to jump a shark next?

That's harsh. I haven't been back in 28 years. Always loved CNY and all the surrounding areas. Might be time to come back and find a nice place on a lake.
Hope you got lots of $. No cheap water front on any lake in the state.

As an aside, I worked summers while in college in one of the buildings Kodak imploded. We packaged a huge percentage of the photographic paper produced in the world back then. 50 years ago!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom