OT: Stay safe, everyone in or near OKC | Syracusefan.com

OT: Stay safe, everyone in or near OKC

jekelish

Living Legend
There's a tornado estimated to be TWO MILES WIDE on the ground in the metro Oklahoma City area right now.

Holy balls. TWO MILES WIDE.

EDIT: CNN is covering it right now. Looks like it was "only" a mile wide. But holy crap. The destruction is incredible. Wow.

An elementary school was directly in the path and was absolutely annihilated during this tornado. God I hope the kids were sent home before the destruction.

I never thought tornado damage could be worse than Joplin, I thought wrong.

I was reading a study earlier this year that talked about the need to go beyond the Fujita scale top tier of F-5 to an F-6... this might be one of those.. I hope not.. two miles wide of up to 300 mph winds..

Hey, good news! CNN talked to a storm chaser reporting that there's a new tornado heading in the general direction of a town located about 30 miles north of me!

Hey, good news! CNN talked to a storm chaser reporting that there's a new tornado heading in the general direction of a town located about 30 miles north of me!

Are you near Meeker?

Are you near Meeker?
No, but there's a tornado, apparently, headed toward Ardmore, which is just a quick drive up the road from me.

And holy , now they are saying that the elementary school still had kids inside. Good lord.

And holy , now they are saying that the elementary school still had kids inside. Good lord.
as many as 75 kids trapped inside, according to the live reports on KFOR

update: the hallway was supposed to be the safe zone - kids took shelter in "tornado position" against the cinder block walls . . . but the hallway caved in atop them.

not a religious man, but I am praying for the kids & their families

update 2: at least 30 kids have been pulled out alive

as many as 75 kids trapped inside, according to the live reports on KFOR

update: the hallway was supposed to be the safe zone - kids took shelter in "tornado position" against the cinder block walls . . . but the hallway caved in atop them.

not a religious man, but I am praying for the kids & their families

update 2: at least 30 kids have been pulled out alive
Geez

I live in Kansas but my employer has a call center facility in OKC so I have several friends in the area. Fortunately they are all okay so far that I know, but the devastation is just incredible. I was down in Moore last April for a wedding and it's just heartbreaking to look at the news today.

Sending prayers that way - they need it big time!

Plaza Towers Elementary School:

4th, 5th and 6th graders all safe & accounted for

K through 3rd unaccounted for

it is reported that the 75 kids in the hallway were the third grade class

I could never live anywhere without a basement. I was in a tiny tornado when I was a kid, and that was enough for me. Hope you have good shelter, jekelish!

The reporter on the ground for KFOR just nearly broke down while they were talking to him when he was saying that he believes there are casualties at the elementary school based on speaking to first responders.

This is seriously devastating to watch, but I can't look away.

The reporter on the ground for KFOR just nearly broke down while they were talking to him when he was saying that he believes there are casualties at the elementary school based on speaking to first responders.

This is seriously devastating to watch, but I can't look away.
I am the same way . . . can't help but think about my little boy and feel such incredible empathy for those parents

I am the same way . . . can't help but think about my little boy and feel such incredible empathy for those parents
Agreed. I'd feel empathy either way, but having a 2 year old son...yeah. It's brutal thinking about what I'd do if I was one of those parents who doesn't know where their kids are, or whether or not they are okay.

the way the weather has been lately...the movie the day after tomorrow doesn't look as far fetched.

Agreed. I'd feel empathy either way, but having a 2 year old son...yeah. It's brutal thinking about what I'd do if I was one of those parents who doesn't know where their kids are, or whether or not they are okay.
Keep us posted as to your safety, please.
I hope you and everyone you know are doing well.