OT: UConn to the ACC | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OT: UConn to the ACC

Academics will always haunt WVU. In the Forbes rankings of academics, they are dead last in the B12. The one silver lining for them is that they do rank higher than L'ville, but I'm not sure if the ACC really wants to add another school that is sub 400 in overall academic ranking. L'ville is at 503, the next worst is Pitt at 212. WVU is 421.
This is what kills me about why we didn't add West Virginia when they were leaving the Big East. The ACC thumbed their nose up at WV due to academics but yet we added Louisville??? West Virginia is the natural fit for the conference if we go to 16. As I've said before football drives the bus. UConn will never be added to the ACC.

First priority is getting ND full-time. Rest doesn't really matter.

Unlikely, but great would be trading nc state for vandy. I think long-term, uconn is a better fit for the b10. Hybrids are yuck--I'd hold my nose on academics and take wvu.

Villanova is interesting, but with all the current football issues, it seems like too much of an ask.

This is what kills me about why we didn't add West Virginia when they were leaving the Big East. The ACC thumbed their nose up at WV due to academics but yet we added Louisville??? West Virginia is the natural fit for the conference if we go to 16. As I've said before football drives the bus. UConn will never be added to the ACC.

Remember - it took Maryland leaving the ACC for L'ville to get the nod it got, had Maryland not left, I don't think L'ville would even be in the conference.

Had WVU not joined the Big 12 and was still in the Big East, and Maryland left the conference like they did, WVU probably would have gotten the nod instead of Louisville. They're a better fit geographically and historically with the Northeast schools in the conference and they have quality major sports programs as well. If you're going to take a school that has a long road to even be on par academically with the lowest ranked school in your conference, you want to take one that is a good fit in other respects.

The one thing L'ville has over WVU though is probably market size. And that's nothing to sneeze at these days.

Exactly as tep lays out. It was all in the timing. Everything was set up by the timing of the Twerps' decision to leave. When WVU was in the BE, Md was happy in the ACC. When they left, WVU had already joined the Big XII, and was, therefore, not available without huge costs, so Louavul was chosen because they have good football and bball and pretty decent Olympic Sports (the last is something WVU doesn't have in the same numbers).

USF and Cincy have exceeded uconns value.
Go with USF. Every member of the ACC wants more football games in Florida including Notre Dame. Sets up more good March scheduling for the ACC's northern baseball teams. The ACC has been trying to build traction with Tampa, another major media market, and further solidifies Florida, major population growth area. Helps with FSU and Miami travel. Academics better than Louisville and WVU.

USF beat South Carolina in a bowl last year, so they have shown good football potential. Basketball would need work, but with an ACC schedule they would get recruits.

I miss playing UConn in basketball so much that I could write breakup poetry.

Oklahoma to the B1G. It's happening.

They are a real sensitive crew over at the boneyard about the aac

Uconns football stadium is a dump. They dont have the football history or infrastructure. I rather add wvu

Uconn fans never appreciated the fact that they were the beneficiaries of an unprecedented advantage by being "grandfathered" into a BCS conference without ever paying any D1 dues. The founding BE football schools did all the heavy lifting, building that conference, and Uconn waltzed in like we were all just waiting for them. Now they have to actually try to do something on their own in the AAC. I hope they fail miserably. An obnoxious, self-important fan base who can go back to D1aa as far as I am concerned.

Alpha and Omega. Baby!

Uconn fans never appreciated the fact that they were the beneficiaries of an unprecedented advantage by being "grandfathered" into a BCS conference without ever paying any D1 dues. The founding BE football schools did all the heavy lifting, building that conference, and Uconn waltzed in like we were all just waiting for them. Now they have to actually try to do something on their own in the AAC. I hope they fail miserably. An obnoxious, self-important fan base who can go back to D1aa as far as I am concerned.

Alpha and Omega. Baby!

I appropriately identified uconn as the worst bcs team ever, was called a liar, then challenged the boneyard to name a worse bcs team, and was hurled insults and then banned. Surprised they couldnt even delusionally name some other bcs team.

Alpha and Omega. Baby!
Yankee Conference baby.

Alpha and Omega. Baby!
Self-important aholes with massive insecurities and in deep denial about their current status. Love to watch them squirm!
That being said, they'd be a perfect partner if the Irish finally join. It would lock up the Coast from NE to Fl.

The one I always thought would work is a hybrid membership for Navy in football and Georgetown (mentioned most during the Realignment Mania Days) or 'Nova (that someone just mentioned) in everything else. ND wouldn't have a problem with having Navy and either of the other two would bring good non-football sports (with 'Nova's running hotter than G'town's right now).
We will see how this works with Navy and Wichita State in the AAC - I think that was a clever move. I can see Navy FB/Georgetown BB and the rest in the ACC if Notre Dame ever fully joins to give us Maryland and that area again. Pitt might not be in favor of Villanova, plus we would be stealing the new BE's best BB program, currently anyway.

A big IF I know, but ND would likely be in favor - Navy played ND during WW II when the Big 10 avoided scheduling them - ND has long memories which is why Navy is forever on their schedule and why they did not join the Big 10, and Gtown is a Catholic School like ND, and BC.

Last edited:
I appropriately identified uconn as the worst bcs team ever, was called a liar, then challenged the boneyard to name a worse bcs team, and was hurled insults and then banned. Surprised they couldnt even delusionally name some other bcs team.
Well, Rutgers was the easy choice, and they couldn't even come up with that. Another sign they shouldn't be playing D1 football.

Well, Rutgers was the easy choice, and they couldn't even come up with that. Another sign they shouldn't be playing D1 football.

Team to play in bcs bowl game. Rutgers hasnt gotten there yet and dont think they ever will.

Team to play in bcs bowl game. Rutgers hasnt gotten there yet and dont think they ever will.
Well, Rutgers shouldn't be D1 either, but that wasn't the point. :)

We will see how this works with Navy and Wichita State in the AAC - I think that was a clever move. I can see Navy FB/Georgetown BB and the rest in the ACC if Notre Dame ever fully joins to give us Maryland and that area again. Pitt might not be in favor of Villanova, plus we would be stealing the new BE's best BB program, currently anyway.

A big IF I know, but ND would likely be in favor - Navy played ND during WW II when the Big 10 avoided scheduling them - ND has long memories which is why Navy is forever on their schedule and why they did not join the Big 10, and Gtown is a Catholic School like ND, and BC.

Not sure if it is a big deal but Catholic Colleges have different orders

Jesuit vs Holy Cross...maybe Bayside44 can explain the difference. Notre Dame might favor Villanova over Georgetown

Reactions: FAL

Jesuit vs Holy Cross...maybe Bayside44 can explain the difference. Notre Dame might favor Villanova over Georgetown

ND--Holy Cross
'Nova--Augustinian
G'town--Jesuit
BC--Jesuit

I'm a life long Catholic, and I don't know the difference, although the Jesuits are considered to be the deep thinkers and most aggressive proselytizers.

ND--Holy Cross
'Nova--Augustinian
G'town--Jesuit
BC--Jesuit

I'm a life long Catholic, and I don't know the difference, although the Jesuits are considered to be the deep thinkers and most aggressive proselytizers.

The Jesuit Order has been involved in Education for 400 years. There are about 30 Jesuit colleges and universities and 60 or so Jesuit high schools.

Holy Cross is a Jesuit college as is Fordham, St Joe's, all the Loyolas, Le Moyne, Gonzaga, Scranton and so on.

There may be some slight preference on the part of Jesuit schools for other Jesuit schools. They certainly know one another well. But in the world of big time athletics, it's hard to imagine that having much weight.

The Jesuit Order has been involved in Education for 400 years. There are about 30 Jesuit colleges and universities and 60 or so Jesuit high schools.

Holy Cross is a Jesuit college as is Fordham, St Joe's, all the Loyolas, Le Moyne, Gonzaga, Scranton and so on.

There may be some slight preference on the part of Jesuit schools for other Jesuit schools. They certainly know one another well. But in the world of big time athletics, it's hard to imagine that having much weight.

Could not agree more...

Yeah, they don't seem to be very hospitable over there - seems like some of them will tend to attack even if you post something neutral or even supportive of their once-possible entry into the Big 12. Heaven forbid if you have a different opinion! Every forum has their own clique I guess but they are sort of like a beat down dog, wary of strangers.

ND--Holy Cross
'Nova--Augustinian
G'town--Jesuit
BC--Jesuit

The "wife unit" is Polish Catholic - I remain a "Protest-ant", but I guess it did not carry too much weight with ND, otherwise they would have gone into the new Big East with the Catholic 7 when the break occurred. They had already committed to joining the ACC before the break too - I recall there was some worry here about it at the time.

Last edited:

The Jesuits and their fans like Townie are the liberals

The Jesuits basically established a college in many of the nation's cities, certainly in the East.

Are the Xavier's also Jesuit?