OT: UNC | Syracusefan.com

OT: UNC

ascalice

Walk On
**This is not a zone bashing thread, just a video I found about how UNC successfully attacks zone defenses, including Syracuse's. Had some confusions/questions about the video**

Seems pretty complicated with all the movements and screens and how UNC runs offense against Syracuse and other zone defenses. Coach Roy must have figured something out, as after losing the National title game while he was at Kansas, an unranked Syracuse team beating #6 UNC, and then putting up a measly 45 points in the 3rd game, then UNC figured something out. I just had two questions however:

1. Thoughts on the video? Do you think its accurate? Anything the video is missing? I am a huge basketball fan, but I'll admit I don't have a lot of knowledge of the X's and O's regarding basketball.

2. If UNC has been so successful, why don't other teams attack the zone the same way? Is it just teams/coaches don't know how to attack the zone, or they know how to, just unable to execute the gameplan as well as UNC does?

**This is not a zone bashing thread, just a video I found about how UNC successfully attacks zone defenses, including Syracuse's. Had some confusions/questions about the video**

Seems pretty complicated with all the movements and screens and how UNC runs offense against Syracuse and other zone defenses. Coach Roy must have figured something out, as after losing the National title game while he was at Kansas, an unranked Syracuse team beating #6 UNC, and then putting up a measly 45 points in the 3rd game, then UNC figured something out. I just had two questions however:

1. Thoughts on the video? Do you think its accurate? Anything the video is missing? I am a huge basketball fan, but I'll admit I don't have a lot of knowledge of the X's and O's regarding basketball.

2. If UNC has been so successful, why don't other teams attack the zone the same way? Is it just teams/coaches don't know how to attack the zone, or they know how to, just unable to execute the gameplan as well as UNC does?

That’s all well and good but a lot of it is having 5 guys on the court who can score, good shooters, and good passers.

I wonder how many coaches say 'we recruit for facing the zone."

The talent level across the board has to be pretty high for UNC's offense to work. That's why we don't see it often. Buzz is a smart coach who has figured out a thing or two. He doesn't have a lot of success against the zone because he can't consistently get the requisite high level talent at all 5 spots.

Typical Cuse teams outside of the sanctions are more athletic and bigger than even the UNC's of the world, though, which negates a lot of what Roy does. Roy caught Cuse at the right time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom