OT - "unprecedented" penalties coming for PSU... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT - "unprecedented" penalties coming for PSU...

I take "unprecedented" to mean unique in nature, not unheard of severity. Financial punishments that directly benefit child abuse prevention organizations, etc, would be unique.

My best guess is that they are not shutting it down with a death penalty, but volunteering for have a deep financial impact.

I suspect you are closer than the rest of us to right.

If its just "giving up tons and tons of money" then PSU is getting off easy.

There better be a long time bowl ban and only half that team should be scholarship players.

I still say don't give them a home game for at least 5 years. Make em travel each and every week for every game.

My best guess is that they are not shutting it down with a death penalty, but volunteering for have a deep financial impact.

Which is still pretty questionable in my book, and doesn't address the culture of football that clearly dominates that school, town, and state. And apparently the NCAA as well.

If its just "giving up tons and tons of money" then PSU is getting off easy.

Yep. I said a week ago that that kind of penalty only means you can "buy" your way out of trouble. They will have put a price tag on decades of abuse.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Hopefully "unprecedented" means harsher than we've ever given.

Technically "unprecedented" could mean we have no precedent because we've never punished a school for covering up child molestation. Which wouldn't necessarily mean that punishment would be harsher than, say, SMU.

I will add to the votes of those who are hoping it means harsher.

Rumor is they are being made to join the Big East.

Well, the MAC did say "thanks, but no thanks. We're waiting for Rutgers."

Probably why they accepted so quickly.

Yep. Donations would flood in and they wouldn't miss a beat. The fan base will have a Penn State vs. the World mentality and rally around the program. This needs to go far beyond just financial penalties and will truly be a shame if it doesn't.

damn...that is worse than forcing them down to 1-aa.

their fan base reminds me of the "Hutterites" a stubborn communal cult.

This is interesting as it comes from Armen Keteyian and CBS News not some ESPN hack.

GASP! Even the NCAA wouldn't do that to anyone!

@McMurphyCBS: RT @BFeldmanCBS: College coach just told me he's already sized up Penn State's roster IF/WHEN players can transfer & play right away.

I agree and said the same at the end of my post. There never was a formal investigation and these things don't go this quick ever. PedSt had to gave been heavily involved and agreed to whatever is announced. That means it will not kill the program and I'm betting it could ne completely financial based.

"But in the case of Penn State, the NCAA appears to be using the Freeh report -- commissioned by the school's board of trustees -- instead of its own investigation, before handing down sanctions. "

@McMurphyCBS: RT @BFeldmanCBS: College coach just told me he's already sized up Penn State's roster IF/WHEN players can transfer & play right away.

Hopefully the SU coaches have as well. I would think SU would be in a good position to land some of these kids.

Hopefully the SU coaches have as well. I would think SU would be in a good position to land some of these kids.
who knows ... perhaps that was a Cuse coach being quoted?

probably OSU, Temple, Rutgers, or Pitt though

And Pennsylvania's best HS players will continue to flock to the Penn State program.

Unfortunately for SU, I think this last part is going to be true regardless of what comes of PSU. Unless they aren't going to have a football team for a while

Joe Schad
What is unprecedented is the process through which PSU punishment handed out, not necessarily the penalties
If loss of bowls and or scholarships are significant enough it will be debated if punishment is harsher than one-year suspension of program

Joe Schad
Thee sanctions were not self-imposed or negotiated. This is Emmert taking a stand he felt he had to due to horrors in Freeh Report.

Joe Schad
What is unprecedented is the process through which PSU punishment handed out, not necessarily the penalties

If loss of bowls and or scholarships are significant enough it will be debated if punishment is harsher than one-year suspension of program

Maybe they used three "reallys."

"We're REALLY, REALLY, REALLY sorry!"

So does the Big10 keep PSU in the conference if the athletic programs are severely crippled/shut down by sanctions? SMU has never really recovered. Does the expansion merry-go-round start up again?

Question...if PSU gets hit with NO TV games. Meaning next years SU-PSU at the Meadowlands won't go out over the air, does a) SU pull out of that series? b) Do they work out a deal with PSU and postpone that game to years down the road and look for a replacement opponent for next year? Or c) do they play it and if you want to see it you have to go to it? (Which I think option "C" is something SU can't do)

So does the Big10 keep PSU in the conference if the athletic programs are severely crippled/shut down by sanctions? SMU has never really recovered. Does the expansion merry-go-round start up again?
As long as they have a FB team, no mater how crippled, there is no way the B1G will boot them. Not even in the realm of possibility, IMO. And my guess is this will only affect the FB team (at least in a highly punitive manner).

Why does the Big 10 need another team immediately? They had a conference with 11 teams for nearly two decades. They can wait out the PSU sanctions.