OT - "unprecedented" penalties coming for PSU... | Syracusefan.com

OT - "unprecedented" penalties coming for PSU...

Just saw that. Would love a year suspension from fielding a football team.

I take unprecedented to mean nit death penalty but penalties that will be just as harsh if not harsher in some ways.

PedSt must have just responded to the NCAA in the last day or two. For the penalties to be announced tomorrow, that means they didn't consider the response at all, didn't take it seriously or already knew what they would do regardless of how they responded. The NCAA may even have already let PedSt know and has been working with them on the penalties under threat of the death penalty if they didn't cooperate.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I think PSU has been working with the NCAA on penalties and that whatever is announced by NCAA tomorrow is unofficially agreed upon by the PSU administration (under threat of more severe penalties). We'll see if anything is announced tomorrow and if the penalties will actually be severe. I'll believe it when I see it.

from what some are saying on the PSU boards, the university has already agreed to whatever tomorrows news will be.

perhaps shortly there will be a mass exodus of recruits / players / coaches?

I think PSU has been working with the NCAA on penalties and that whatever is announced by NCAA tomorrow is unofficially agreed upon by the PSU administration (under threat of more severe penalties). We'll see if anything is announced tomorrow and if the penalties will actually be severe. I'll believe it when I see it.

I agree and said the same at the end of my post. There never was a formal investigation and these things don't go this quick ever. PedSt had to gave been heavily involved and agreed to whatever is announced. That means it will not kill the program and I'm betting it could ne completely financial based.

Penalties to be both corrective and punitive.

I dunno. To me, 'unprecedented' means worse than what happened to SMU. That's pretty bad. After all, Ped State wasn't exactly dealing from a position of strength here. Wonder if O'Brien will stick around...

I doubt the Death Penalty. Too much $$$$$$$$$$ at stake for all involved.

I predict-

• Ban on bowls- 5-6 years. If I am the NCAA, I get some sort of scheduling approval so they can't schedule an end of season game at Hawaii or San Diego State or Central Florida in its stead. I think when Alabama (?) was slapped with no bowls, they scheduled December game at Hawaii, totally rubbed NCAA's face in it because of course they traveled very well.
  • Loss of Scholarships, forfeiture of TV and merchandising revenue to victims organizations, which Penn State can spin into a positive. NCAA will give the institution a chance to get out from under the past as much as possible.
  • Loss of a few minor coaching positions.
  • Loss of some recruiting official visits.
  • Mandatory training for all athletes and coaches on child abuse.
And Pennsylvania's best HS players will continue to flock to the Penn State program.

I agree and said the same at the end of my post. There never was a formal investigation and these things don't go this quick ever. PedSt had to gave been heavily involved and agreed to whatever is announced. That means it will not kill the program and I'm betting it could ne completely financial based.

Agreed Bees. IMO - PSU just wants to move on as quickly as possible. Also make sense that they may be strategically taking all of this action in weekend with a lot of focus on CO. I'll be curious to see any penalties will actually change the culture and how/if they affect the student-athletes.

What's so interesting about 'the culture' is that I don't think any institution has ever been so defined by one person in the manner that Ped State has been identified with Paterno. Think about it. What is/was State Penn's identity before/without Paterno? Cow college?

For me, the real question is what kind of institutional identity will emerge from the void created by the implosion of the university's signature figure.

Mandatory training for all athletes and coaches on child abuse

I was told a week or so ago that everyone involved with the school, even off campus school recruiters now had to have a complete criminal background check and other things related to child abuse. I believe this has already started to be instituted, even retroactively.

I was told a week or so ago that everyone involved with the school, even off campus school recruiters now had to have a complete criminal background check and other things related to child abuse. I believe this has already started to be instituted, even retroactively.

Whether they were forced to, or did it voluntarily, this is a good thing. No-brainer, really. Unless you worked for JoePa.

Joe Schad (@schadjoe)
7/22/12 9:54 AM
Penn State sanctions expected to be extremely harsh and could even be perceived as more damaging long-term than "death penalty"

Joe Schad is reporting it is essentially a "de-facto" Death Penalty. That the sancations will make Penn St fans wish they had just got a 1 or 2 year ban

I can verify that Bees. I might have mentioned it in the "Perspective" post in the scandal forum. An adjunct professor I met with told me he'd already been notified of when his training was scheduled to take place.

As an aside, what a horrible indictment of our world/society that we have a "Scandal Forum" and that it's been so active. Oh Lord

I guarantee you- even if they allow games to be played but with no TV, no radio, no internet or print press coverage, and they force them to be played in an empty Beaver Stadium- the tailgating in the fields and around town will be the biggest ever. It needs to come to a complete halt until people get it.

better be more than bowl ban and loss of schollies

Yea, that wouldn't be unprecedented at all.

Joe Schad (@schadjoe)
7/22/12 9:54 AM
Penn State sanctions expected to be extremely harsh and could even be perceived as more damaging long-term than "death penalty"

1-AA

This is interesting:

Barrett Sallee (@BarrettSallee)
7/22/12 9:26 AM
People will see "unprecedented" and think "severe." In the PSU case, it probably means "non-traditional."

I take "unprecedented" to mean unique in nature, not unheard of severity. Financial punishments that directly benefit child abuse prevention organizations, etc, would be unique.

My best guess is that they are not shutting it down with a death penalty, but volunteering for have a deep financial impact.

This is interesting:

Barrett Sallee (@BarrettSallee)
7/22/12 9:26 AM
People will see "unprecedented" and think "severe." In the PSU case, it probably means "non-traditional."

Right. That's my take on it too.

1-AA

They'd dominate. They'd find a way to love it. Maybe after a period of death penalty and a long, slow progression from D-3, to D-2, then I-AA. But to be effective, and remove the aura of that program in that state, it'd have to be a looongg suspension IMO.

Rutgers and Pitt fans are salivating over this opportunity.